New Adidas "Slave" Sneakers

DSP

Heri
Why?

Jeremy Scott x adidas Roundhouse Mid “Handcuffs” Release Date

2 days ago - by Ian Stonebrook - 60 comments

Respect Jeremy Scott’s authority. The force in fashion continues to expand his jurisdiction, as seen on the Roundhouse Mid “Handcuffs”. Purple suede and reflective strapping detail the orange accented upper, detained by rubber ankle shackles and plastic chains. These are slated to release on August 12th.
Jeremy Scott x adidas Roundhouse Mid “Handcuffs”
Purple/Silver-Orange
G61099
August 12th, 2012
$350
Jeremy Scott x adidas Roundhouse Mid "Handcuffs"

Jeremy Scott x adidas Roundhouse Mid "Handcuffs"

B

Black Madonna

any parent sho buys that for their child is an idiot. and any grown man who does is a moron

Farinborn

readin btwn da lines
any parent sho buys that for their child is an idiot. and any grown man who does is a moron

I hear you and aqgree. My question stiil, What are a lot of black people especially black women slaves to....?

Bumbuclaaaat SHOES. My wife have di F'in hallway full up.. How much shoes you got?

OverLord Strum

After slavery controversy, Adidas pulls shackles shoe

By Rene Lynch / Los Angeles Times
Tuesday, June 19, 2012 - Added 5 hours ago

LOS ANGELES — Barraged by expressions of outrage, Adidas announced Monday evening that it’s pulling a shoe design that critics say evokes slavery.

The design, by eccentric Beverly Hills designer Jeremy Scott, features a plastic set of shackles. Initially it was met with disbelief, then fury, especially in online arenas. On Twitter, the shoes were labeled "Adidas slave shackle kicks." Talk of a boycott arose.

Early Monday, Adidas defended the shoes as the handiwork of a whimsical designer. By early evening, the shoe giant found itself in a public relations nightmare and announced that it had made a mistake.

The Adidas statement reads, in part: "The design of the JS Roundhouse Mid is nothing more than the designer Jeremy Scott’s outrageous and unique take on fashion and has nothing to do with slavery. Since the shoe debuted on our Facebook page ahead of its market release in August, Adidas has received both favorable and critical feedback. We apologize if people are offended by the design and we are withdrawing our plans to make them available in the marketplace."

Efforts to reach Scott on Monday were unsuccessful. But on Twitter, he suggested that the inspiration for his shoe came from a 1990s cartoon and toy,My Pet Monster.

New York Observer is firmly in Scott’s corner, calling the uproar a media-manufactured controversy.

To be sure, many people online applauded the shoes and rolled their eyes at those who saw racism in the shackles. But even critics who didn’t see racism said the sneakers were in poor taste: "Those Adidas shackle sneakers are a product of rappers glamorizing criminal behavior & prison for years," said one tweet.

The image of the shoes was posted on Adidas’ Facebook page earlier, along with this seemingly benign query: "Got a sneaker game so hot you lock your kicks to your ankles?"

But controversy soon began to boil over. Here are just a few of the online comments from Facebook and Twitter:

"Our ancestors fought blood, sweat and tears just so fools can turn pain into an accessory?"

"These should be taken off the market."

"Any designer that’s nostalgic for slavery will Never have my support."

The "shackle" shoe is part of a whimsical line that also features sneakers accented with teddy bears, butterfly wings and belt buckles.

Adidas is not the only sneaker brand to put its foot in its mouth. Earlier this year, Nike found itself facing controversy over its Black & Tan shoes, which some took as a reference to British abuse of Irish citizens in the 1920s. Nike apologized.

Earlier Monday, David M. Carter, head of the USC Sports Business Institute, told the Los Angeles Times that the uproar over the shackle sneakers could lead to the design’s demise.

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
I always laugh at this kind of thing. I mean how does this even go from idea to inception before some along the ways says, "ummm, I dont think this will go over too well".

I am always curious how it even happens because u can see this will be a train wreck long before its even released.

"Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel, is a god-damn TRAIN. Get out of the way idiot."
- said by person on the phone in an airport

Last edited:

OverLord Strum

I always laugh at this kind of thing. I mean who does this even go from idea to inception before some along the ways says, "ummm, I dont think this will go over too well".

I am always curious how it even happens because u can see this will be a train wreck long before its even released.

"Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel, is a god-damn TRAIN. Get out of the way idiot."
Everybody who green lighted this project needs to be demoted.

If this starts the destruction of the company...they should be the first ones cut.

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
I always laugh at this kind of thing. I mean who does this even go from idea to inception before some along the ways says, "ummm, I dont think this will go over too well".

^^Mi sista fuh life!

LB

Everybody who green lighted this project needs to be demoted.

If this starts the destruction of the company...they should be the first ones cut.
'cause u know this costs the company a lot in product development to create and now they have to nix it and are unable to re-coup costs on the product.

Yeah a few ppl need to be sent to the guillotine for this chupidness.

dont see nothing wrong with the sneaker,,, or concept,,, people always want to question shit and compare it to the past...... not that serious

The designer in question Jeremey scott has a lot of questionable designed footwear so again i dont see the issue

AFTrini

dont see nothing wrong with the sneaker,,, or concept,,, people always want to question shit and compare it to the past...... not that serious

The designer in question Jeremey scott has a lot of questionable designed footwear so again i dont see the issue
Agreed.....

But the jackasses at Adidas had no business putting their name on this monstrosity.

LB

if find it humourous cause its stupid. It doesnt matter if u or I dont think its that serious. It still doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out the reaction to the shoe isnt going to be a good one. Personal feelings are irrelevant because at the end of the day the company is about making money. And making big mistakes like this where a product (any product for that matter) gets pulled means, you run the risk of losing your job or at least not getting the company bonus at year end....

again, not needing to be a rocket scientist to see all of this coming if you work for the company and are in marketing. Perception is everything. And not being aware will cost you money. Simple equation.

N

NaturalBornRidah

I don't see the reason of labeling it running sneakers when no one would be able to run in these, they look like vintage crap, the kind of shoes you buy at side store in Chinatown.

TOLOMB

Red Man
This is the funniest thing.... Its dam shoes!!! How the hell can these sneakers be compared to slavery????

Sometimes my black people are just dumb as F***

RotiKing2004eva

How come when people talk about slavery they only really mention what happened in America from the 1600's to the late 1800's? What about modern day slavery? What about European Slavery? Chinese Slavery? Phillipino Slavery? Brazillian Slavery?

just a thought...are these sneakers that offensive....and are they soley offensive to black people living in America? Why not chinese, phillipino's and others affected by slavery?

Poca

Why some black people are always quick to give others the benefit of doubt? Is it really a dumb thing to take offense at these sneakers? Some will claim they don't but when people look at the shoes what is the first thing that comes to mind?

Accepting connotation like that is definitely not a sign of open mindness but rather a great indication of the willingness to accept denegrating ideas about yourself. And being cool about those ideas is not a respecting yourself and definitely is showing the utter lack of respect for the suffering of your ancestors.

Poca

Who told you that they are only offensive to AA? Other groups have suffered too and I am sure that they have things that will surely offend them if portrayed. And so what if it's only AA who were offended? Can they be offended? Why does it seem like black people need to have permission to be offended?

By the way, I don't live in the states and I Know many people who are offended. Such design was done in poor taste and definitely is showing the lack of respect the designer and anyone who approved his work have for their target customers.

How come when people talk about slavery they only really mention what happened in America from the 1600's to the late 1800's? What about modern day slavery? What about European Slavery? Chinese Slavery? Phillipino Slavery? Brazillian Slavery?

just a thought...are these sneakers that offensive....and are they soley offensive to black people living in America? Why not chinese, phillipino's and others affected by slavery?

Last edited:

RotiKing2004eva

Who told you that they are only offensive to AA? Other groups have suffered too and I am sure that they have things that will surely offend them if portrayed. And so what if it's only AA who were offended? Can they be offended? Why does it seem like black people need to have permission to be offended?

By the way, I don't live in the states and I Know many people who are offended. Such design was done in poor taste and definitely is showing the lack of respect the designer and anyone who approved his work have for their target customers.
Nobody told me that. I didn't write that it is only offensive to AA. I think it's offensive to any culture/race/people that have been enslaved.

The focus on slavery seems to always be AA's though.

Poca

But aren't most people living in the states around AA? So, things will always be about whatever is happening in the USA. The mass media is by american for americans mainly so of course it will be from an american point if view, AA included.