Nicki prefer Jamaican artistes over Trinis?

Nicki Minaj, Beenie Collabo Spark Talks In Trinidad | EtceteraBuzz.com

On the day that internationally acclaimed hip hop vocalist Nicki Minaj has released her much anticipated sophomore album, Pink Friday- Roman Reloaded, some questioning minds in Trinidad and Tobago’s entertainment fraternity have been plagued by what seems to be her lack of eagerness to collaborate with one of her own- having chosen Jamaica’s Beenie Man for her collaborative first single on the album- a track called, Gunshot.

Yesterday, ETCETERABUZZ.COM highlighted the fact that Minaj- real name Onika Tanya Maraj, had mentioned her desire to work with Soca’s seasoned entertainers Destra Garcia and Machel Montano prior to her trip to T&T in 2010. The story spurred some conversation among radio personalities this morning, with questions being raised as to whether it was all about the dollars and cents to Minaj or whether she would one day reach out and do that promised collabo- that many back home look forward to.

Local radio presenter, Adrian Hackshaw, better known as Third Bass, commented on Facebook saying, “Right now Trini artistes are the laughing stock in Jamaica. Imagine you got the biggest artiste in the world, born and bred and she cyah put one of you on her album.”

He said while he understood that in the real world it was all about how much record sales an artiste and his music could encourage, he would have hoped that something would have been done, this time around with a T&T entertainer- no matter the genre. He said as far as he could see it, the reality was that Trinidad and Tobago’s artistes and the movers and shakers in the local ‘industry’- a word often chuckled at in some circles locally- lacked that drive to get the music heard. He noted that overseas, the people supported the culture that is hip-hop back in the day and still do, recalling that Master P would sell records out of the trunk of his car to people who hadn’t even owned record players in their houses. “ It was all about supporting their artistes from the hood, to see them end up good,” said Hacksaw via Facebook.

Trinidad and Tobago’s musical culture has been epitomised mainly by its seasonal carnival thrust. Many continue to argue that the seasonality of the music is what hinders its growth. For Third Bass however, the music and culture must first be appreciated at home before being appreciated and sold to those who are clueless to what it is. He believes that it would take a united effort to gain the true respect of artistes like Nicki Minaj who’s new single Starships is currently at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts, #16 on the Billboard Pop charts and #5 on the Digital downloads charts.

What do you think?

I mean I support Nicki working with any artistes she wanna chose, u telling me Nicki couldnt at least feature Destra, Machel, Kes...jus a Trini, it does not even matter if its Soca or not.

I am sure she is gonna film the video in Jamaica too, doh know whats wrong with Rihanna and Nicki, just like Rihanna going to Jamaica to film Mandown when she coulda do it in Barbados or any other island for that matter.

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
Beating our chests bout being the land/mecca of soca...all the while having to do a "switch" when carnival time come and is "switch" off come Ash Wednesday.

Hahahahahahahahaha

Beating our chests bout being the land/mecca of soca...all the while having to do a "switch" when carnival time come and is "switch" off come Ash Wednesday.

Hahahahahahahahaha
this is not the basis of the argument though, u rell outta timin, Nicki and Rihanna need to realize that they are in powerful positions and they dont only have to rep for Jamaica, they have to rep for the rest of the Caribbean, their native island included.

If I was in Nicki position, Machel or Kes or Destra would have been on that album...full frickin stop.

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
this is not the basis of the argument though, u rell outta timin, Nicki and Rihanna need to realize that they are in powerful positions and they dont only have to rep for Jamaica, they have to rep for the rest of the Caribbean, their native island included.

If I was in Nicki position, Machel or Kes or Destra would have been on that album...full frickin stop.
If soca is not respected at home; then why in the mudda ass NM & Rhi Rhi should put Machel, Destra, Kes, etc. on her record? She is trying to go global; not appeal to the region.

Their only obligation is to sell records.

If soca is not respected at home; then why in the mudda ass NM & Rhi Rhi should put Machel, Destra, Kes, etc. on her record? She is trying to go global; not appeal to the region.

Their only obligation is to sell records.
punk, listen to that track with Beenie, and then come back and tell me which Trini couldnt spit on that track and probably make it even hotter? u rel outta time hoss.

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
punk, listen to that track with Beenie, and then come back and tell me which Trini couldnt spit on that track and probably make it even hotter? u rel outta time hoss.
Jackass who the fock is Machel, Destra, or Kes. outside of carnival in Trini (including the rest of the region) TDot, London, and Brooklyn?

alyuh like to act as if all these Jamaican artistes singing harmonious, melodious great superior music to the rest of the islands, while half of the stuff these days is weak...not hating, just being real. Nicki could make a boss song with artistes from Trini or any other island and in the process introduce that artiste to a wider following, but not they just sticking to the routine.

ok if alyuh saying that Soca is not worth collaborating, then why Rihanna shot Man down in Jamaica while she could have gone to Barbados? with some of the most beautiful beaches and scenery in the Caribbean.

Jackass who the fock is Machel, Destra, or Kes. outside of carnival in Trini (including the rest of the region) TDot, London, and Brooklyn?
steups, u are a kkk.unt from day one, and ah realize it eh make no sense arguing wit u, only SMART people would understand my point.

iPicong

u always have to try to be de fukin antagonist to my story, so I saying something that clearly makin mucho sense, u bringing up sumting dat not relevant.
ahmmm is right...........you must not get vex when threads dont go the way you want.....ok

Da 1 n 0nly Vida

♥bruk d mold wen bawn♥
ok u seem to have some sense, do you understand any merit in my argument? as a neutral person?
I agree she should do ah least wid one trini artist .. bcuz after all is she heritage .. but waiiiit .. who sey i isa neutral person?? LOL .. my dawta half ja .. n my ex is bajan n i chill mostly wid bajans n yaardies ... a few trinis n other w.i. LOL