Novel: 'The Liar's Gospel' an alternative view of the Gospels

T

Toppa_Toppa

Most wouldn't; the Gospel of Judas came out, was authenticated and shown to predate the canonical texts and it eh make one ounce of difference. In fact, right her in Trinidad if you can find three churches that even discuss it, yuh find plenty. Most will find some excuse or argument to show that that is besides the point and go right on ahead as if nothing happened.

Oh really? Your denying it doesn't change the fact that in the politics of the US, Democrat and especially the Republicans, is informed by that mindset. The evangelicals have especially found receptive ears in the Republican party and have been using that to push through legislation that rolls back much of the gains that have been made in reproductive rights, to cite but one example, based on their narrow understanding of what constitutes morality. A significant part of US foreign policy in the so-called Middle East is based on romanticised ideas of the jews and biblical injunctions.

Perhaps your disputing of what I said stems from the fact that no longer is the claim of Christian exclusive superiority openly said. But that is only because this view has been imposed on our consciousness for so long that it is almost an unspoken assumption. Rest assured that the mindset is still very much alive.
Lies.

And it wasn't even written by Judas. :rolleyes:

Ananci_7

*holds head in total disbelief*

BD, I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I posted this up; this is what passes for a discussion on religion on a Caribbean website?! Where does one begin, should one even bother? I always remember engaging in a debate on an MSN site some years ago that ended up going on for months but it was great because although two of the posters and I did not agree on much FACTS were presented.

Toppa and Steupz (how appropriate), the two of you are unbelievable. But sorry to rain on your parade but my taking so long to reply wasn't because I had to research anything to come back (that was hilarious), I simply have a job that takes me out on the roads along the coast, ok? Waaay sah. There was no need to run and research anything because apart from the fact that TT presented nothing to debate here, I am long familiar with the genealogy.

What is so hilarious (and irritating at the same time) is the way TT, like most evangelicals, like to play mental hopscotch, jumping over facts and information. TT, when you posted that so called list, did you factor in the Hebrew's difference in time reckoning in relation to the Gregorian calendar? Did you keep in mind that Jewish passages were meant to be allegorical and not literal? They are variations of ancient myths that have different meanings on different levels of secret knowledge. Did you even bother to factor in significance of Hebrew ritual (the staging of events in keeping with written sacred passages; that's not predicting anything, that's RE-ENACTMENT). Did you tell Imixers that "Jesus" (Yeshu/Yehoshua) was a very common name (and it's a title really, not a name) that was given to Hebrew sons around the time of the Roman occupation? Have you remembered to state that the title Messiah was NOT a holy or sacred title, let alone exclusive to somebody named Jesus; it was a temporal title given to every priest-king of the line of David. In other words, there were many people called "Messiah" before and after the Jesus character, that is what is recorded by Roman historians like Tacitus.

And why is it that these same Jews you speak so much about refuse to acknowledge the Christian Jesus? Wanna run through the history of that again? Don't forget to include Reformer Martin Luther who took their repudiation as a personal affront.

I have no intent to continuing with either one of you because your contributions are really cheapening what could have been a very profound discussion. I could shred so much of what you posted TT in Post #56 in so many different ways -- indeed, the very bible shows the contradictions and discrepancies. But all this is just wasting byte space.

As for Steupz (again, very apt name)
"You speak of rolling back gains as if abortion is a gift"

Well, it IS the woman's right to choose and her desire to control over her body that is being attacked as it has always been for the past 3000 years of Eurasian history. No matter how nicely you all want to dress it up, all this talk about rights for the unborn child is just a smokescreen on the part of the elites. Listen to the evangelical preachers, listen very carefully to the words they use, it's about putting women back into subservience.

The Christian ethic has been deeply misogynist since it started to become formalised in the 2ndC and women priests and presbyters were pushed out. But in all fairness, that didn't start with the Christians; like everything else, all Christians did was to inherit the secular and spiritual ideas and customs of the civilisations and societies around them. The so-called Christian ideas of morality, women and sex came from the urban centres of Greece which in turn inherited it from ancient hunter-warrior tribes who HAD to impose restrictions on women's sexuality and place their bodies under the control of men because it was necessary for their survival. It had nothing to do with any god. You want me to put up the reading list of source material again?

"And that bit about Jews... stop! I hesitate to even speak to this because I am not informed to any acceptable degree but surely the Middle East policy is more about Israel being a satellite for Democracy and the economic influence of Jews rather than a biblical mandate."

Oh for frig's sake, do you even pay attention to the media? I'm not even going to bother to go into the Balfour Declaration (google it) and its influence on US political thought specifically with the last 40 years. I won't bother to point out the way the Jewish elites play on the guilt card (with some justification) and play down the fact that most of them are descendants of Eastern Europeans whose king converted to Judaism in the 10th C for political and strategic reasons only.

And the state if Israel is anything BUT a democracy (go through Tikkun.org sometime). Furthermore, if the US was sincere about democracy, they would have left Mossadegh remain as the elected president of Iran and not had him overthrown (or, they COULD overthrow the brutal regime in Saudi Arabia NOW and facilitate democratic movements there.....but I doubt it)

But to come back to me being "dishonest":
Religious Right Gains Influence And Spreads Discord in G.O.P. - New York Times
(and that one was written waaaayy back......in 1994)

The religious influence in politics: Missionary positions | The Economist

The Unseen Influence of the Religious Right | Psychology Today

5 Signs the Christian Right Still Wields Too Much Power in America | Alternet

BBC NEWS | Programmes | wtwtgod | How religion defines America

Ananci_7

I'm done with the two of you; the only way I'll change that is if you both bring your pastors/priests or somebody who studied in a seminary to Imix because this is getting nowhere. Certain things I can't even bring up here because you don't even have a clue what I'm talking about and that's really unfortunate.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
LOL...now seeing this thread. Same ole.

Yes Toppa, I love the book of Daniel. Between that and Revelation...just wow.

One thing I will agree with Ananci on...the Religious Right in the U.S. is problematic.

Steupz

I'm done with the two of you; the only way I'll change that is if you both bring your pastors/priests or somebody who studied in a seminary to Imix because this is getting nowhere. Certain things I can't even bring up here because you don't even have a clue what I'm talking about and that's really unfortunate.
You know the saying 'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it'?
In your case it's 'Those who are stuck in the past are limited to referencing it'

Your mind is in a loop, fenced by a circumference of old ideology and debunked theories. I suspect you haven't learnt anything new in years, your mind, occasionally rebooted by updated editions to books with conclusions you readily accepted without ever having the intelligence to prove on your own.

I'd go farther and address what you wrote but you've already picked up your ball and declared victory so congratulations.

Ananci_7

You know the saying 'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it'?
In your case it's 'Those who are stuck in the past are limited to referencing it'

Your mind is in a loop, fenced by a circumference of old ideology and debunked theories. I suspect you haven't learnt anything new in years, your mind, occasionally rebooted by updated editions to books with conclusions you readily accepted without ever having the intelligence to prove on your own.

I'd go farther and address what you wrote but you've already picked up your ball and declared victory so congratulations.
WOW, you've made me sound like a.......Christian

Still waiting for my arguments to be refuted; let me know when your pastor's arrived.