NYC in the 80s (subway graffiti)

Castro

New York has come a long way from the gritty 80s/90s era.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/41tn9_NoYe0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

triniameri

Hey Ms. Carter...
I remember this NYC very well...I was so damned scared visiting family I remember when all of Harlem look like that apartment complex in New Jack City and family members being murdered it seem like every week....smdh

Castro

Not sure exactly how they were able to clean it up to the point where it's almost nonexistent on the trains today, but I'm assuming it's a combination of the graffiti culture not being as popular today and improved security/surveillance.

SKBai1991

Not sure exactly how they were able to clean it up to the point where it's almost nonexistent on the trains today, but I'm assuming it's a combination of the graffiti culture not being as popular today and improved security/surveillance.
Most of the trains around today were bought after the graffiti era reached its peak. The B, D, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 lines all got new cars between the late 80's and the early 2000's, and between that time, the A, E, J, M, Z, 2, 4, 5 & 6 lines got their old cars completely repainted before they were replaced. They cleaned up alot, but alot of the graffiti-ridden cars were outright replaced.

I actually like the way it use to look though...

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers
i loved it... especially those end to end burner (when real artists would cover a whole cars)...

Check this out

fast forward 1:19
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SKR-rQtAFNs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shandy 2.0

God is my pilot

This pic really remind of my childhood, traveling on the f train to Coney Island, my godsister and I used to rush to the window to look at the ferris wheel. Trying to look through the graffiti was an art in and of itself. LOL

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers

This pic really remind of my childhood, traveling on the f train to Coney Island, my godsister and I used to rush to the window to look at the ferris wheel. Trying to look through the graffiti was an art in and of itself. LOL
remember when the lights never could stay on, they used to go on and off and on and off constantly

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
god i remember that nyc.....funny thing is, i am so happy they cleaned the trains up....i couldn't stand it, if the trains still look like that now...but when i went to Rome and saw that their Metro looked like this, i got excited