Parents

bktrini305

Would you hire a male childcare provider?

Au pair/nanny/babysitter is what I mean, not the person at the daycare center.
i babysit everybody's damn kids and i'm male (twice this week people sad they thought otherwise). It its never an issue for me. Then again, the parents usually know me very well. And i don't have my friends around the kids. And i'm gay.

My godfather also would babysit us when he was around, and he was gay as well. I'm sure with most caribbean people, the dynamic would probably change knowing the sitter was gay but i suspect in the opposite way.

BacchanalDiva

Women are nartural nurturers so for me I want a female to care for my children. It's nothing to do with being a predator or any such thing. I simply believe that women are generally better at caring for children than males are. I eh wah no rookie woman mechanic diggin up in meh car needa!
I was gonna hit Like until i get to that part. Blah!

Taj

Loyalty to Loyalty
I know its still a male abuser but what of the church scandals. The boys were very susceptible to persuasion, mental games etc just as the girls and these situations like poca said also probably under reported. Sandusky anyone?
Under reported yes. You're not getting what I'm saying. Anyone can be raped but older girls are more vulnerable to the kind of coercion and mental games that predators use to keep ongoing sexual abuse secret, than their male peers.
I wouldn't go so far as to say all that because its not fair to label all men like that. Given the stats and facts though, I prefer to err on the side of caution with mine. No, I don't think that males are any less vulnerable and I believe you should be as cautious with male children. I do believe that after a certain age, males do have some advantage. By that I mean that by the time a child is old enough to understand what sexual abuse is..I believe that a male who has always heard the talk about appropriate touching, and "don't believe anyone with threats about keeping things quiet...always tell me" etc...becomes less likely to be a victim of "quiet sexual abuse". In other words..yes they can be raped but its less likely that they will be quietly being abused by a caretaker. Female children are more vulnerable to coercion and mental games imo.
i know this doesn't help perceptions but http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/stor...harged-with-sexual-abuse-of-paralyzed-soldier

Taj

Loyalty to Loyalty
shit i was like who is that in her avatar

i totally forgot about your surgery

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
This is exactly how I feel. When I see stats on percentage of women that have been victim of some kind of sexual abuse I thank God for my mother who simply believed that a girl child had no business being out of her supervision with any male. My mom had a close friend who used to like to take me on w/ends sometimes and my mom was ok with it until one time she said she was going by some friend for the w/end and wanted to take me...my mom's question was "this friend have husband or man" when the woman answered yes my mom was like "then no..you can have her when you staying home".

To be honest though, I'm the same way even with boy children. My son had a good friend who's parent's were divorced..he lived w/ his dad. They kept asking for sleepovers..the boy was welcome to sleep over at my house but my son was not spending the night in a house with no woman in it. Eventually my husband persuaded me that I was being unreasonable (almost 2 yrs after the subject first came up)...I became friends with and got to know the dad really well over time and admit feeling a lil shame faced for what I felt initially even though he has no idea.

Anyway, I like my babysitters 16-20 and female plus I don't do babysitters often nor for more than a few hours at a time. Don't care if its logical or not.
Why do you want a teen babysitter instead of an adult? Is it because of pay? I would think that I would choose someone at least 30.

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
For the people who said "no" because of concerns about sexual abuse what about if the child is an infant e.g. six months. This child would be unlikely to be abused. Not impossible but unlikely. Does that make a difference?