Privacy settings will not save you from employer checks...warning

EloquenceInc

Get your passport & come !
"the practice is raising questions that recently prompted the American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia to take action.
Last week, the group sent a letter to the Virginia State Police criticizing its policy of reviewing a candidate’s social network sites — including those hidden behind privacy settings."
And don't think is just that one place...my cousin is an HR management consultant and she told me from years now that they can check people's Facebooks even if they have it set to private. Obviously not every company bothers with it but I am sure the more professional the job and the more likely you could hurt the company's reputation or just reveal yourself to have a personality or mentality that doesn't fit in with the company, the more they are likely to check. And the law so far doesn't require them to disclose to you whether they check, what they check, and how far into your private profiles they check.

So people who plan to land professional/office/management jobs or go to grad school and have sexual or otherwise explicit pictures or conversations on their fb or myspace or whatever (outside of a normal bathsuit picture, obviously) might want to take them down when they are job hunting... Just a public service announcement...what slipped under the radar back when you graduated college or whatever might not make it now...

And some of these sites take forever to take your stuff down. I had documents uploaded to one site that I wanted removed and first of all it's hell even finding the information that tells you where/to what email to send such requests to, then it takes forever and maybe lots of followup to get a response from them!

also:
"In 2009, a survey of more than 2,600 hiring managers conducted by online job site CareerBuilder.com indicated that 45 percent of employers used a social networking site to vet potential employees — more than double the percentage in 2008, and a step in a direction officials said likely won't change anytime soon."
Employers differ on online applicant checks - Washington Times

TC

Steuuuupssss!
Sorry, this is not making any sense to me. How can they check one's facebook unless they are one of your facebook friends, or know one if your fb friends who is willing to show them your profile.

Or are they jacking your password and hacking into your facebook which anywhere on the planet is illegal.

So what's the big deal with facebook? Why is this facebook story any different frim wanting access to your bank account or email account?

EloquenceInc

Sorry, this is not making any sense to me. How can they check one's facebook unless they are one of your facebook friends, or know one if your fb friends who is willing to show them your profile.

Or are they jacking your password and hacking into your facebook which anywhere on the planet is illegal.

So what's the big deal with facebook? Why is this facebook story any different frim wanting access to your bank account or email account?
They are not hacking. They are able to see it just like how they can check your credit report and your criminal history...except the law tells them to get your permission on the last 2.

The law has not yet established they must tell you or get your approval to check your Facebook or online presence completely.

So they can do it without telling you.

HR of companies is able to see your facebook if they want even if set to private. It's not hacking...some don't, but over half do, according to the statistics i saw in another article.

It is different from a bank account or email account, trust on that. If for no other reason that what's going on in your bank account or email cannot cost you a potential job...

Similar to there being a big difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance...the difference is about 20 years in prison. :)

TC

Steuuuupssss!
You have still not told me how they can see. Your credit details and criminal details are on databases that legally employers can access or ask you to provide information about legally.I'm not arguing that they can't see one's fb. I'd just like a simple explanation as to how they can.

Because I want to know how an HR person can see brownilous fb sorden yet they cannot see TC's. Sounds like a bit of hacking to me if you are using the company's server and computer to access your facebook account.

Last edited:

EloquenceInc

You have still not told me how they can see. Your credit details and criminal details are on databases that legally employers can access or ask you to provide information about legally.I'm not arguing that they can't see one's fb. I'd just like a simple explanation as to how they can.

Because I want to know how an HR person can see brownilous fb sorden yet they cannot see TC's. Sounds like a bit of hacking to me if you are using the company's server and computer to access your facebook account.
I'm not in HR, my cousin told me this at LEAST couple years ago, and these articles are just now telling the truth. Facebook allows them to. Same way the credit report companies allow them to.

And keep in mind the company checks are increasing as facebook etc. become more and more part of life...in 2008 this was a minority event...in 2012 it's a majority for white collar type jobs especially. I see legislation coming to make them have to give you a disclosure to sign just like for the credit and criminal and drug checks...and just like those 3, not signing away your privacy will mean you can't finish the application process to work there. So you will have a "choice" but it's no choice really...mark my words...

EloquenceInc

And actually TC they can see mine and yours if you apply to a job in the U.S. i don't know what Australian companies are doing but companies based here are doing it...so if me and you apply to 5 companies and maybe 3 of the 5 do this, we won't even know who does it...but who knows if me and you both qualified and I have facebook statuses with b*tch this and n*gga that and f*ck the other plus a big chunk of pictures where I'm dressed something like a street whore or always have the middle finger up and backside to the camera...yeah you might get the job over me cause I show poor judgment (and low class) and that can translate over to the workplace or just leave a bad taste in the person's mouth as to the type of person you REALLY are.

That's their logic anyway. I think most people are crazier when younger then mellow out as time goes by but some of these ladies especially the ones who barely legal I say God help them if any company they try to get a job with does this, cause they wouldn't hire them. They have all TYPES of sh*t out there and too dumb to even set the stuff to private, cause everybody is an attention whore and bored and needing the whole world to fawn all over them endlessly...and stuff always reflects worse on women than men...

EloquenceInc

Also, this doesn't seem to apply if you are already in the company and have proven yourself and are just moving up the ranks...this seems to be when you are just first getting in the door... the guys on my fb who were just graduating and looking for a career were not talking about or posting pictures doing dumb sh*t...and the only one who did, couldn't get a job but his grades were the first problem...if any of them looked him up on Twitter or fb that would be his next problem...I think there is another one that has a nasty attitude and always posting drama and argumentative b.s. about one of his children's mothers...he has technical degrees, bachelors and masters, that he should be making a killing with and yet he seems to have gone back home working as some retail manager for the past how long...that's the perfect job for another friend of mine who is fashion forward and way more positive than he, and she manages STORES plural she is still ahead of the game compared to him...but who knows if the b.s. he gripes about on his facebook didn't cost him the job he went to school for? Cause I see all that and say I would not want this person to be my coworker or my BOSS...

It might not even be related, but then again maybe the same personality/mentality that translates on fb translates in other parts of life...

People think the Internet means they can hide behind a computer and get buck wild...if anything the net and how interconnected it is means the opposite...

What i want to know is, how far in behind the privacy wall can they see? Is it just what anyone labelled "friend" can see, so that if you have things restricted to just family for example, they can't see those? Is it as far in as your private messages?

Nica

SAINTSational
They are not hacking. They are able to see it just like how they can check your credit report and your criminal history...except the law tells them to get your permission on the last 2.

The law has not yet established they must tell you or get your approval to check your Facebook or online presence completely.

So they can do it without telling you.

HR of companies is able to see your facebook if they want even if set to private. It's not hacking...some don't, but over half do, according to the statistics i saw in another article.

It is different from a bank account or email account, trust on that. If for no other reason that what's going on in your bank account or email cannot cost you a potential job...

Similar to there being a big difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance...the difference is about 20 years in prison. :)
They cannot see your Facebook page unless it's left open or your privacy settings are not lockdown

Very rarely would we even check prospective employees profiles...there must be trigger that prompts a company to check a prospects fb. It's amazing how many people keep their profiles open with dumb shit for the world to see.

If your profile is set to where only friends can see, then unless you have a friend in the company where you applying, they can't see your info.

T

T-MAKAA

I'm going to look this up and come back in here. I get what u saying but something is missing here.

T

T-MAKAA

They cannot see your Facebook page unless it's left open or your privacy settings are not lockdown

Very rarely would we even check prospective employees profiles...there must be trigger that prompts a company to check a prospects fb. It's amazing how many people keep their profiles open with dumb shit for the world to see.

If your profile is set to where only friends can see, then unless you have a friend in the company where you applying, they can't see your info.
This is what I thought. For them to get any further than that they will need authorization from facebook or they will as TC said..hack.

T

Toppa_Toppa

The only way they can see you're profile (if it's private) other than hacking in is if Facebook grants them permission which I highly doubt seeing as that would be the one thing that would drive a mass exodus from the site.

Nica

SAINTSational
This is what I thought. For them to get any further than that they will need authorization from facebook or they will as TC said..hack.
And Facebook is against granting access to third parties. There have been reports about some companies going as far as asking prospects to submit their FB passwords. Again FB Warns against that

Right now there isn't a law that prohibits a company from checking your profile if they want to. However users can protect themselves by either keeping their profiles "clean" or better yet set your shit to private.

Corrupt file

Facebook actually offers companies access to people's Facebook that are private for a fee. I learned that in one of my marketing class a while back.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
and all this is assuming people use their real names on FB, have their pictures up as profile pics, and have an email address that is not solely for FB..

T

T-MAKAA

Facebook actually offers companies access to people's Facebook that are private for a fee. I learned that in one of my marketing class a while back.
I think that was addresses, phone numbers etc.. which a user has the ability to turn off. It is a bit similar to credit card companies selling your info to 3rd parties who then mail you junk at times. I dont think it goes beyond that.

Corrupt file

I think that was addresses, phone numbers etc.. which a user has the ability to turn off. It is a bit similar to credit card companies selling your info to 3rd parties who then mail you junk at times. I dont think it goes beyond that.
Nah what I heard is that if your profile is private, your company can pay Facebook a fee and Facebook will give them full access to your profile.

Nica

SAINTSational
Facebook's privacy policy has this to say:

We may be required to disclose user information pursuant to lawful requests, such as subpoenas or court orders, or in compliance with applicable laws. We do not reveal information until we have a good faith belief that an information request by law enforcement or private litigants meets applicable legal standards. Additionally, we may share account or other information when we believe it is necessary to comply with law, to protect our interests or property, to prevent fraud or other illegal activity perpetrated through the Facebook service or using the Facebook name, or to prevent imminent bodily harm. This may include sharing information with other companies, lawyers, agents or government agencies.
Getting a job doesn't fall within that policy.

EloquenceInc

And Facebook is against granting access to third parties. There have been reports about some companies going as far as asking prospects to submit their FB passwords. Again FB Warns against that

Right now there isn't a law that prohibits a company from checking your profile if they want to. However users can protect themselves by either keeping their profiles "clean" or better yet set your shit to private.
"including those hidden behind privacy settings"...

That is very clear from the article...

Maybe you don't, but others do.

Facebook has a policy of not SELLING your information to others. I believe that is the wording, right?

They can GIVE it though and still be telling the truth. ;)

My stuff is locked down but either way people are not aware of this so I am spreading the word.

And yes a LOT of people you can see their fb walls even though the photos are locked down...or the wall is locked down but the photos wide open...or they don't realize that other sites they hide on, a simple background check/google will turn them up especially if they use the same email address as what is on their resume.

Lock the profiles down, act normal (which means have some broughtupsy) online and not like no one is watching, and use a completely different email address for employment purposes only. That's what I think people should do. Make sure that email address is not on anything at all but the resume.

People should go to spokeo.com or any of those other sites and run a background self-check and see what they find...

EloquenceInc

Facebook's privacy policy has this to say:

Getting a job doesn't fall within that policy.
It does if a law enforcement official requests the information.

Such as the police department in question in the article I posted...or...say...a company's legal department?

All it takes is for someone that represents some part of the law to ask for it...corporate counsel can do it same as a police department.

And Facebook has had enough embarrassing slipups with privacy that your undying faith in their ability to not slide through their own loophole puzzles me...