Privacy settings will not save you from employer checks...warning

Nica

SAINTSational
"including those hidden behind privacy settings"...

That is very clear from the article...

Maybe you don't, but others do.

Facebook has a policy of not SELLING your information to others. I believe that is the wording, right?

They can GIVE it though and still be telling the truth. ;)

My stuff is locked down but either way people are not aware of this so I am spreading the word.

And yes a LOT of people you can see their fb walls even though the photos are locked down...or the wall is locked down but the photos wide open...or they don't realize that other sites they hide on, a simple background check/google will turn them up especially if they use the same email address as what is on their resume.

Lock the profiles down, act normal (which means have some broughtupsy) online and not like no one is watching, and use a completely different email address for employment purposes only. That's what I think people should do. Make sure that email address is not on anything at all but the resume.

People should go to spokeo.com or any of those other sites and run a background self-check and see what they find...
So this ^^ in essence is saying what everyone else was saying. If your profile is private companies cannot see your shit. If you block your wall and not your photos then that is your slip up.
It does if a law enforcement official requests the information.

Such as the police department in question in the article I posted...or...say...a company's legal department?

All it takes is for someone that represents some part of the law to ask for it...corporate counsel can do it same as a police department.

And Facebook has had enough embarrassing slipups with privacy that your undying faith in their ability to not slide through their own loophole puzzles me...
Read the excerpt of the policy I posted again.

A company wanting to snoop just for purposes of employment doesn't qualify.

EloquenceInc

Get your passport & come !
Don't believe me, here's another article:
More employers using firms that check applicants’ social media history - The Washington Post

By Melissa Bell, Published: July 15, 2011 | Updated: Saturday, July 16, 10:10 PMThe Washington Post A friend hunts deer in Germany. His Facebook profile shows him hoisting a rifle in the air. Another friend wrote on Twitter last month, “On plane. Just took Ambien. Twitter is my dreams. You are all glue. Happy birthday cellphone!”

Innocent pursuits perhaps: The Ambien was prescribed; the rifle is licensed.

Even so, my friends would likely fail a social media background check.

Like criminal background checks and drug tests, the social media check is quickly becoming an automatic part of the hiring process. Employers regularly run quick Google searches to vet applicants, but since September [by the date of this article that means since September 2010!], California-based Social Intelligence has been contracting with corporations across the country to institute standard social media background checks — with the blessings of the federal government.
Let's not lull people into a false sense of security. Private or not, people need to be aware of what is going on with their privacy when looking for a job in this area that the law has not yet caught up to so there is no protection, just information and caution.

EloquenceInc

No what I said in the paragraph about open walls and photos was NOT me saying what others were saying, i was agreeing with you that that is a separate and dumb issue that does happen...but that's why it's in a separate paragraph.

I have highlighted in red, twice now, that a news article is saying the same thing my cousin who has oodles of years HR management experience and runs her own business in the field now, had already said: there are companies that can check your profile even if set to private.

It's spelled out. All who want to be just aware of the info, take it, those who want to pretend is my opinion and not what is actually happening out there...okay do you.

And if one company in California is doing it, trust, somewhere else there will spring up some competition doing the same ting. Spokeo for one.

Nica

SAINTSational
Don't believe me, here's another article:
More employers using firms that check applicants’ social media history - The Washington Post

Let's not lull people into a false sense of security. Private or not, people need to be aware of what is going on with their privacy when looking for a job in this area that the law has not yet caught up to so there is no protection, just information and caution.
This person's profile was not private.. It was open and fair game to be checked

Nica

SAINTSational
End of story

Protecting Your Passwords and Your Privacy
by Facebook and Privacy on Friday, 23 March 2012 at 08:32 ·

In recent months, we’ve seen a distressing increase in reports of employers or others seeking to gain inappropriate access to people’s Facebook profiles or private information. This practice undermines the privacy expectations and the security of both the user and the user’s friends. It also potentially exposes the employer who seeks this access to unanticipated legal liability.
####
The most alarming of these practices is the reported incidents of employers asking prospective or actual employees to reveal their passwords. ####If you are a Facebook user, you should never have to share your password, let anyone access your account, or do anything that might jeopardize the security of your account or violate the privacy of your friends.#### We have worked really hard at Facebook to give you the tools to control who sees your information.####
####
As a user, you shouldn’t be forced to share your private information and communications just to get a job.#### And as the friend of a user, you shouldn’t have to worry that your private information or communications will be revealed to someone you don’t know and didn’t intend to share with just because that user is looking for a job.#### That’s why we’ve made it a violation of Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities to share or solicit a Facebook password.
####
We don’t think employers should be asking prospective employees to provide their passwords because we don’t think it’s the right thing to do.#### But it also may cause problems for the employers that they are not anticipating. ####For example, if an employer sees on Facebook that someone is a member of a protected group (e.g. over a certain age, etc.) that employer may open themselves up to claims of discrimination if they don’t hire that person.####
####
Employers also may not have the proper policies and training for reviewers to handle private information.#### If they don’t—and actually, even if they do—the employer may assume liability for the protection of the information they have seen or for knowing what responsibilities may arise based on different types of information (e.g. if the information suggests the commission of a crime).
####
Facebook takes your privacy seriously.#### We’ll take action to protect the privacy and security of our users, whether by engaging policymakers or, where appropriate, by initiating legal action, including by shutting down applications that abuse their privileges.
####
While we will continue to do our part, it is important that everyone on Facebook understands they have a right to keep their password to themselves, and we will do our best to protect that right.
####
-- Erin Egan, Chief Privacy Officer, Policy

Protecting Your Passwords and Your Privacy | Facebook

EloquenceInc

smh that only addresses employers asking you for passwords, which obviously is a very in your face thing that doesn't require a public service announcement like this thread...the articles i posted and the highlights in red are QUITE clear.

Also, facebook is only one social media site...there are a ton more.

But everything I posted plenty people are not at all aware of and they need to be, and they are true and happening as we speak, that is the point. Some will say f. it if that's how the employer is i don't want to work for them anyway...and that is their choice, but at least once informed they have that choice to make...

I feel we have the right to know what is going on and not just have it happening with folks completely ignorant to the fact that privacy settings are not a get out of jail free card, period. and that background searches now turn up social media sites SUCH AS BUT NOT LIMITED TO Facebook...so all those dead sites you thought you left behind like blackplanet and whatnot, if you didn't delete the profile people can find you and all the dumb sh*t you were up to over there.

We focused on fb because that's a biggie but there are all the sites you no longer use as well. Let's not distracted this stuff is happening and people need to be aware.

TweetaFineeta

█♥█ TORONTONIAN █♥&#
Ok ... a few things:

• Why are people still creating non-professional profiles with their government name?
  • Bots / spiders crawl sites for info, so profiles & content are created on archive sites not just Facebook.
  • If you have fvcktarded mess of you on any profile with your government - you're an idiot.
  • If you think potential employers don't google search or seek out info about you - or any of this is news to you - welcome to the 21st century.
  • How much an employer cares about what information is out there about you depends on the company, and / or position you are going to hold.

Mrs. Skilz™

The only way they can see you're profile (if it's private) other than hacking in is if Facebook grants them permission which I highly doubt seeing as that would be the one thing that would drive a mass exodus from the site.
and lawsuits...ha my fb is on private u can see u cant post u cant do nada unless u my fren and i have about 50...my screename is different to my real name and i dont use the same email account that i use when applying for jobs so how u seeing anything is above and beyond me unless u hack but how u know its me...nah

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
yep.. my govt is not on my FB.. so much that i dont even think some of the mofo's on my friends list remember my damn first name LOL..

second the email address that i use to log into FB is one taht is not in circulation anywhere else...

i don't post no setta pics of me drinking etc.. i see too many fools post pics of them smoking weed or kissing a bottle of henny or some other shit.. AS their profile pic...

if yo could identify me by my current profile pic.. you is a stalker.. /conversation.

i have no professional fb . that's what linkedin is for!

Mrs. Skilz™

yep.. my govt is not on my FB.. so much that i dont even think some of the mofo's on my friends list remember my damn first name LOL..

second the email address that i use to log into FB is one taht is not in circulation anywhere else...

i don't post no setta pics of me drinking etc.. i see too many fools post pics of them smoking weed or kissing a bottle of henny or some other shit.. AS their profile pic...

if yo could identify me by my current profile pic.. you is a stalker.. /conversation.

i have no professional fb . that's what linkedin is for!
precisely my profile pic is definately not me matterofact its a man ... and yup thats wat linkedin is for...

LIONESS onda RISE

:scratchhmmm Im actually amazed at the amount of ppl who really believe their privacy is thiers...just cuz ppl or corps not SUPPOSED to be able to do such and such...doesnt mean they dont do it still.