Question for the men on IMIX

Missmayling

I live in a country where the population is predominantly black, and what I find now the men or some I should say are gravitating towards indo guyanese, for one of two reasons. 1. The attraction is the hair, 2. The things the are willing to do for their personal gain, which I will not get into... but my daughter will know because her is hair and skin different, that dont make her ugly and unattractive, doing degrading things for personal gain don't make her attractive and loved...

My mother taught several things, by actions, words and by the rod... the one that will apply to the subject at hand is, respect, respect for yourself and others... have pride in yourself and your appearance.

You know what is sad sometimes they dont learn unless they feel the pinch of the shoe...

I had to look out for my sister and my son would do the same... oh by the way, I have no children...
:fan_1::fan_1:

Actually this question is addressed to IMIX men who are black (or mostly black) and who have children or who plan to have children.

What do you intend to teach your daughters about stereotypes regarding Black women? Do you intend to compliment her on non-Black features (long hair, fairer skin) if she has them? Will you tell her to associate certain behaviors with Black women? What do you plan to say to her regarding your own mother (if your mother is Black)?

Please just answer truthfully. Thanks.

Well so far, it has been balanced as i would think on what is told. She is very light skinned, but she is reminded that she will become a black woman some day, and face the same struggles as any other. Her skin color nor her upbring can shield her from the realities outisde of the home i have provided

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
I am enjoying watching the growing process and haven't given these things any real thought to this point. It will only make sense to teach her about the steroetypes so that she can understand what it is if she encounters it and is not confused by it. She doesn't have any non black features to compliment. Certain behaviors is part of the sterotype talk. Don't really understand the final question
I guess the last question is not very clear. I meant to ask what you would tell your daughter about Black Women based on the example of your mother. When I was little in Jamaica (or even a teenager in New York), nothing was explicitly said about black women or about black men but I saw the examples of black women and black men and developed my own impressions.

Many black men who say very negative things about black females often forget that they are describing their mothers. I once asked a man who made an insulting remark "what about your mother?" and he said something ridiculous like "well, she is my mother."

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
I guess the last question is not very clear. I meant to ask what you would tell your daughter about Black Women based on the example of your mother. When I was little in Jamaica (or even a teenager in New York), nothing was explicitly said about black women or about black men but I saw the examples of black women and black men and developed my own impressions.

Many black men who say very negative things about black females often forget that they are describing their mothers. I once asked a man who made an insulting remark "what about your mother?" and he said something ridiculous like "well, she is my mother."
All the women closest to her are progressive, well educated, unafraid to take career risks when unhappy, active in charities and various causes, outgoing and generally enjoy life. None are leading questionable lives or involved in questionable nor dysfunctional relationships. So she has stellar examples long before she even get's to her grandmothers

Ras_Apache

Actually this question is addressed to IMIX men who are black (or mostly black) and who have children or who plan to have children.

What do you intend to teach your daughters about stereotypes regarding Black women? Do you intend to compliment her on non-Black features (long hair, fairer skin) if she has them? Will you tell her to associate certain behaviors with Black women? What do you plan to say to her regarding your own mother (if your mother is Black)?

Please just answer truthfully. Thanks.
I don't teach my kids anything about black women...or white women, or asian women or indian women...I do teach them things about women though.I teach them that women can do the same things that women can do and I teach them that women is BOSS I. Our house