Quuestion to American Imixers

TC

Steuuuupssss!
Is it offensive for people to refer to you as Afro American? Is African American a suitable way to refer to you?

I await your responses. Big argument going on here.

Farinborn

readin btwn da lines
Futhermore, if we were called Afri-American instead of afro american, how would that have affected the mindstate of the people. Words are power,no?

dollbabi

Earth Angel
No. It is not necessarily offensive, but it is not suitable either.

(Note that the U.S. government recognizes specific Asian and Hispanic ethnic heritages but does not afford the same privileges for those of African heritage, unless Hispanic).

triniameri

Hey Ms. Carter...
I guess it's ok even though it's not completely accurate.. AA African ancestors migrated to this country over 200 years ago and since then we are an admixture of several different races/cultures so it easier for others to group us in one big pile and call us "black" or " Afro/African- American"..same difference (shrug)

DSP

Heri
hmmm the Afropeans having more identity crisis?

They may also want to consult the 'Euro-Africans', 'Afro-Arabs', 'Indo-Africans', 'Arab-Africans'
to see what they call themselves.

TC

Steuuuupssss!
What is the argument and why?
A lecturer here is refering to persons of African descent in the USA as negro, Afro American and coloured. I asked the lecturer to please say African American as some of the terms you are using can cause offense to persons in the USA. I personally know that in most circles the term negro and coloured is a definite no no, so I wanted to ask Americans what is their stance on the term 'afro american'.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
A lecturer here is refering to persons of African descent in the USA as negro, Afro American and coloured. I asked the lecturer to please say African American as some of the terms you are using can cause offense to persons in the USA. I personally know that in most circles the term negro and coloured is a definite no no, so I wanted to ask Americans what is their stance on the term 'afro american'.
Thanks for the background. The interesting thing is that "negro" was on the census not to long ago, perhaps for the Hispanics of African descent. Not sure.

I personally find Afro/African-American problematic b/c it generally is assumed to refer to someone who has a heritage in the U.S. A number of people of Caribbean or Hispanic heritage who are of African descent prefer not to use either term. It's like referring to someone of Korean heritage as Chinese. Even many of recent African background, use "country of origin-american" for that reason.

It seems that the majority prefer the term "black" (not negro), regardless of cultural/ethnic origin.

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
Yeah negro and coloured will give you evil stares on my end because those were used during the Civil Rights and Jim Crow days. I have no problem with being called african/afro-american, but not those other two mentioned.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
Yeah negro and coloured will give you evil stares on my end because those were used during the Civil Rights and Jim Crow days. I have no problem with being called african/afro-american, but not those other two mentioned.
I had a professor in school that slipped and said "negros" when speaking about a law that had the term "negro" in it.

OMGAAAAAAWWWWWD...it had some reaaaally pissed off people.

triniameri

Hey Ms. Carter...
I had a professor in school that slipped and said "negros" when speaking about a law that had the term "negro" in it.

OMGAAAAAAWWWWWD...it had some reaaaally pissed off people.
At the the March on Washington Anniversary President Lyndon B. Johnson daughter referred to us as "Negroes" :lol:...then she followed up by calling Jaime Fox "Jimmy" Fox...smdh :rofl: