Ragga Ragga--Red Plastic Bag First Ragga Soca Song?

MANISHWATERS

What soca song came out before this track can be called ragga soca? There's been threads and big confusion over where ragga soca first started. Im not saying they wrong or am i saying they right but as far as i could remember Red Plastic Bag's Ragga Ragga was the first soca tune to be considered ragga soca (along with byron lees dancehall soca) I cant remember any soca tune before these two to be called ragga soca if their is somebody please post. With that being said can we say barbados or jamaica first started ragga soca? Barbados style of soca always been like that as far back as i could remember. I cant leave out general grant and ajala from trinidad but was that ragga soca?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZEFAkZKNR6Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ReggaeLushun

I really don't wanna get involved in this "what is ragga soca" debate but this is the kind of songs we called ragga soca when i was growing up in the 90's! And these tracks were 2-3 years before "ragga ragga"!
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tvFsT9tphGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nTYwDP6tEzc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

problem with IMIX, is everybody's argument is always based on giving their island the credit, thats why we go around in circles.

this Ragga Soca ting came out so long, doh even know what was the first "Ragga Soca" song, because people were mixing Reggae/Soca for a while, plus everyone's definition of Ragga Soca is different, this is an exhaustive argument that I see no benefit in engaging in really.

just like the genesis of Soca and Rocksteady arguments, we are dogs chasing our tails here.

one thing I know for sure, St.Vincent did not produce no Ragga Soca first, Barbados is probably the start or even Byron Lee, If you look back at history, Barbados is the medium where Trinidad's music is fused with Jamaica's music, check at the development of spouge and ringbbang...Barbados always perfected merging the two cultures.

Also, people have to realize in music, even though the person who may have actually created the first song or invention, may not be the person who gets the credit..its about who defined the music, who branded the music and who introduced it to the masses, who really caused other people to jump on the train, so to speak.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
problem with IMIX, is everybody's argument is always based on giving their island the credit, thats why we go around in circles.

this Ragga Soca ting came out so long, doh even know what was the first "Ragga Soca" song, because people were mixing Reggae/Soca for a while, plus everyone's definition of Ragga Soca is different, this is an exhaustive argument that I see no benefit in engaging in really.

just like the genesis of Soca and Rocksteady arguments, we are dogs chasing our tails here.
That's the problem right there which is why I have taken the time out to break down the term ragga-soca and to provide its original definition from when the term was coined.

I have also clearly shown how the Vincy interpretation of what ragga-soca is has changed from the original T&T definition due to the influence of their annual SVG Ragga Soca Monarch competition and the wide range of soca styles that is allowed entry into that competition once the music is slowed down.
I even gave a good example with the current SVG Road March which was allowed entry into the SVG Ragga Soca Monarch competition to help folks understand the extent to which the Vincy definition has changed.

I see nothing wrong with presenting the facts as they have occurred and in fact I still have a few more facts to bring to the table regards early ragga-soca based upon the original definition so hold tight.

We first needed to establish what the definition of ragga-soca is before we can have a sane and fruitful discussion which is why I have provided that post with the original definition.

This to me is not about an insular island argument as artists from all islands have contributed to ragga-soca over the years but is more about helping folks on Imix to understand and agree on the original definition of what ragga-soca is/was. :drinks:

Last edited:

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
What soca song came out before this track can be called ragga soca? There's been threads and big confusion over where ragga soca first started. Im not saying they wrong or am i saying they right but as far as i could remember Red Plastic Bag's Ragga Ragga was the first soca tune to be considered ragga soca (along with byron lees dancehall soca) I cant remember any soca tune before these two to be called ragga soca if their is somebody please post. With that being said can we say barbados or jamaica first started ragga soca? Barbados style of soca always been like that as far back as i could remember. I cant leave out general grant and ajala from trinidad but was that ragga soca?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZEFAkZKNR6Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Your question is very fair and will hopefully be cleared up in due course but before we could get into a fruitful discussion, I believe it was best for us to first understand and agree on what defines a Ragga-soca song which is why I have presented my other post dealing with that very matter that helps to clear a few things up.

RPB’s “Ragga Ragga” was not the first ragga-soca but it definitely is one of the biggest hits to date. Byron Lee's “Dancehall Soca” came out before “Ragga Ragga” and was written and sung by Preacher with Admiral Bailey of Jamaica chanting. That tune was a Jamaica T&T collaboration as were all of Byron Lee’s other Ragga-Soca hits like “Soca Butterfly”, “Soca Boggle”, “Soca Tattie”, “Soca Pepperseed”, etc.

Don’t worry, will give more details and examples of early Ragga-Soca tracks/hits with dates etc very soon after most of us are clear on the definition of what Ragga-Soca is. Until most of understand and agree on the definition of what ragga-soca is, we are wasting time even thinking about trying to have a sane discussion on the topic.

Bless :drinks:

Last edited:

warrior

Also, people have to realize in music, even though the person who may have actually created the first song or invention, may not be the person who gets the credit..its about who defined the music, who branded the music and who introduced it to the masses, who really caused other people to jump on the train, so to speak.
Exactly. People need to realize that culture is dynamic and usually organic. In the 80's "Bajan Dub" was popular in Bimtown. If I drop some of those songs on this forum people would call them soca but they were not viewed as soca back then.

An artist in Ghana could have had a "Ragga soca" song in 1930. We never know. Just enjoy the music and wukkup pun a young ting.

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
one thing I know for sure, St.Vincent did not produce no Ragga Soca first, Barbados is probably the start or even Byron Lee, If you look back at history, Barbados is the medium where Trinidad's music is fused with Jamaica's music, check at the development of spouge and ringbbang...Barbados always perfected merging the two cultures.
:kicks:kicks n SMH@THE FOOL FOOL TALK

Partner, a two year old could have said EXACTLY what you have stated. What makes a STATEMENT CREDIBLE or SUBSTANTIVE is to PROVIDE the EVIDENCE to SUBSTANTIATE its CLAIM.

Stating something that SOUNDS GOOD and stating something that may not be to your liking but is SUBSTANTIATED with MEANINGFUL EVIDENCE is what SEPARATES a CREDIBLE person from a SHIT TALKER.

See you around, SHIT TALKER

YUHHHHH SEEEEEE MEEEEEEE

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
Well, I have no idea who came up with the term or puttin it together....but i am here to defend our place in history....U Roy had a track back in the later 70s, also in '84, King Yellowman record this track :

I am willing to bet over the years that concept had to come to Byron Lee, given his 50 plus years in the business...

anyway, this is it.

Reggae Calypso - King Yellowman

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_fn21mgYY-s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
Exactly. People need to realize that culture is dynamic and usually organic. In the 80's "Bajan Dub" was popular in Bimtown. If I drop some of those songs on this forum people would call them soca but they were not viewed as soca back then.

An artist in Ghana could have had a "Ragga soca" song in 1930. We never know. Just enjoy the music and wukkup pun a young ting.
A thick one at that...had to get that in...some have no shame and wine up on and piece of flat board !

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Well, I have no idea who came up with the term or puttin it together....but i am here to defend our place in history....U Roy had a track back in the later 70s, also in '84, King Yellowman record this track :

I am willing to bet over the years that concept had to come to Byron Lee, given his 50 plus years in the business...

anyway, this is it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_fn21mgYY-s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
What's the name of the U-Roy track? I am assuming you couldn't find it on YouTube to post it as well?
I have a few re-issued U-Roy albums on CD so maybe I could find it and take a listen if you can tell me the name?

Btw I think Yellowman is accurate in the lyrics of that song, as it really sounds more like a reggae-calypso/soca-mento than a ragga-soca song despite Yellowman being a dancehall reggae artist.

Also I think both U-Roy and Yellowman are more from the previous generation of dancehall reggae DJs who were more singing DJs than Raggamuffin chatting DJs.
In other words those recordings by U-Roy and Yellowman were done before Ragga(mufin) dancehall music and the term Ragga were properly established.

I believe Ragga-Soca music and the term ragga-soca was inspired more by the modern raggamuffin dancehall music of the 90's than the era before that.

Last edited:

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member

anyway, this is it.

Buoyyy, I was WONDERING when you're GOING to POST that.

When I did not see anything from you, I thought FYAH was going to make an APPEARANCE. :kicks:kicks

Like I said, Trinidad has NOTHING to do with this.

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
Your question is very fair and will hopefully be cleared up in due course but before we could get into a fruitful discussion, I believe it was best for us to first understand and agree on what defines a Ragga-soca song which is why I have presented my other post dealing with that very matter that helps to clear a few things up.

RPB’s “Ragga Ragga” was not the first ragga-soca but it definitely is one of the biggest hits to date. Byron Lee's “Dancehall Soca” came out before “Ragga Ragga” and was written and sung by Preacher with Admiral Bailey of Jamaica chanting. That tune was a Jamaica T&T collaboration as were all of Byron Lee’s other Ragga-Soca hits like “Soca Butterfly”, “Soca Boggle”, “Soca Tattie”, “Soca Pepperseed”, etc.

Don’t worry, will give more details and examples of early Ragga-Soca tracks/hits with dates etc very soon after most of us are clear on the definition of what Ragga-Soca is. Until most of understand and agree on the definition of what ragga-soca is, we are wasting time even thinking about trying to have a sane discussion on the topic.

Bless :drinks:
We know what RAGGA SOCA is.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Si96xEC6xC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am STILL LAUGHING at how TRINIDAD COINED the PHRASE RAGGA SOCA. :kicks:kicks

Buoyyy, I was WONDERING when you're GOING to POST that.

When I did not see anything from you, I thought FYAH was going to make an APPEARANCE. :kicks:kicks

Like I said, Trinidad has NOTHING to do with this.
VP u are so trifling, negro, Socapine, juss throw ur arguments out the window and the only ting on ur mind is Trinidad? u r weak!

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
VP u are so trifling, negro, Socapine, juss throw ur arguments out the window and the only ting on ur mind is Trinidad? u r weak!
SMH

In other words, you have NO EVIDENCE to SUPPORT your PREVIOUS POST.

Ok, GLAD that we have ESTABLISHED that FACT.

That said; how has SOCAPINE threw my ARGUMENTS out of the WINDOW?

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
I really don't wanna get involved in this "what is ragga soca" debate but this is the kind of songs we called ragga soca when i was growing up in the 90's! And these tracks were 2-3 years before "ragga ragga"!
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tvFsT9tphGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nTYwDP6tEzc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
SMH

You know what, I am not going to BOTHER.

However, CONGALINE is not by BYRON LEE and the DRAGONAIRES.

The song is actually called "BUMP AND WINE" by SPICE AND COMPANY out of BARBADOS.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cSA2-bvdCag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
What's the name of the U-Roy track? I am assuming you couldn't find it on YouTube to post it as well?
I have a few re-issued U-Roy albums on CD so maybe I could find it and take a listen if you can tell me the name?

Btw I think Yellowman is accurate in the lyrics of that song, as it really sounds more like a reggae-calypso/soca-mento than a ragga-soca song despite Yellowman being a dancehall reggae artist.

Also I think both U-Roy and Yellowman are more from the previous generation of dancehall reggae DJs who were more singing DJs than Raggamuffin chatting DJs.
In other words those recordings by U-Roy and Yellowman were done before Ragga(mufin) dancehall music and the term Ragga were properly established.

I believe Ragga-Soca music and the term ragga-soca was inspired more by the modern raggamuffin dancehall music of the 90's than the era before that.

WOW....that is long time i heard that.....ok, i will see if i can get the name.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
We know what RAGGA SOCA is.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Si96xEC6xC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am STILL LAUGHING at how TRINIDAD COINED the PHRASE RAGGA SOCA. :kicks:kicks
We know what RAGGA SOCA is
Yeah right! Llike this song here for example?

GAO - De Sheep (Performing at 2011 SVG Ragga Soca Monarch 2011)
<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qSeVc65RcQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Btw do you also know what position this 2011 SVG Road March song placed in the 2011 SVG Ragga Soca Monarch competition?

And while you are at it can you please explain for those who are finding it difficult to detect what is ragga-soca about that Sheep Jumping song despite it being allowed entry into the 2011 SVG Ragga Soca Monarch competition?

Not looking for no long argument eh, just short answers that anyone can understand to my above two simple questions.

Many thanks :drinks:

Last edited:

socapineman

JA Soca Ambassador
Man, you guys have to give some props to VP on this…he did an excellent thread on it a while back…Bro, pull it up ? ….

now, I am never one to really debate first, especial when you really can’t prove a lot of stuff like carnival first, we have shown where numerous Islands had some sort of carnivals or celebration….anyway, my point is I wasn’t trying to say JA was first, I was just presenting fact……also, St. Vincent had a lot of those songs way back then, clearly, you guys know they had one of the biggest producer of soca/calypso from there Frankie McIntosh….again what was being done in JA, Vincy, Trini….etc…can all be the same , just different names...yes , no ?