Ragga Ragga--Red Plastic Bag First Ragga Soca Song?

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
Yeah right!
YEAH and RIGHT is CORRECT.

You can RUN and SPIN all you want, but the EVIDENCE is RIGHT in your FACE.

You CANNOT REFUTE IT or DEBUNK IT.

We know what RAGGA SOCA is, like this song here for example?

GAO - De Sheep (Performing at 2011 SVG Ragga Soca Monarch 2011)
<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qSeVc65RcQU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Btw do you also know what position this 2011 SVG Road March song placed in the 2011 SVG Ragga Soca Monarch competition?

And while you are at it can you please explain for those who are finding it difficult to hear what is ragga-soca about that Sheep Jumping song despite it being allowed entry into the 2011 SVG Ragga Soca Monarch competition?

Not looking for no long argument eh, just short answers that anyone can understand to those two questions.
As for the REST of your POST, I won't WASTE MY TIME, because you're a DECEITFUL and PRETENTIOUS INDIVIDUAL.

I ADDRESSED this already in the THREAD that you DELETED and REPOSTED like a BILLION TIMES, because you wanted to REMOVE my RESPONSES from it. But here you're TELLING me to ADDRESS that which I have ADDRESSED already in the said thread.

If you're INTERESTED in my RESPONSE, you would not have ACTED LIKE A LITTLE BOY by DELETING it.

That said; RAGGA SOCA is COINED and DEFINED by VINCYLAND.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Si96xEC6xC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I do not have to MAKE UP PHANTOM STORIES like U, which are EASILY REFUTED, thus your CONSTANT DELETING of THREADS like a LIKKLE BOY.

On the other hand, I PUT FORTH HARD EVIDENCE that CANNOT be REFUTED.

YUHHHHHHH SEEEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

Last edited:
Soca chat discuss the same thing adnaseum, ever since TNT carnival ended it seems like Ragga Soca seems to be the most exhausted topic, a few months ago it was Island Pop, alyuh doh know about moving on?

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
Soca chat discuss the same thing adnaseum, ever since TNT carnival ended it seems like Ragga Soca seems to be the most exhausted topic, a few months ago it was Island Pop, alyuh doh know about moving on?
All the TRINIS were YAPPING and getting GIDDY about another TRINIDAD CREATION :)kicks:kicks) called "ISLAND POP."

When I was done with it, they had NO CHOICE but to CLAIM that TRINIDAD did not CREATE ISLAND POP. And so ISLANDPOP DIED on ARRIVAL courtesy of VINCYPOWA.

TYPICAL TRINIS always LQQKING to CLAIM THINGS that they had NOTHING to do with. :kicks:kicks

It seems like TIEFING and OPPORTUNISM are ETCHED in their DNA.

YUHHHHHHHH SEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
I just asking VP for some info and have no intention of getting into any long ragga-soca argument with him other than demonstrating that his idea of ragga-soca is not necessarily the same as what many others here believe is ragga-soca so hence it is pointless having a ragga-soca argument with him.

If VP is honest enough to answer my two simple questions rather than dancing around them as he has done so far then we will see that all these ragga-soca arguments with him are totally pointless.

Still waiting for his answers to these two questions which are:-

1. What position did that Gao Sheep Jumping song place in the 2011 SVG Ragga Soca Monarch competition?

2. Can he explain in simple words that anyone can understand what is ragga-soca about that Gao Sheep Jumping song i.e. what are the ragga-soca elements that we should be hearing?

PS: I am finding it rather difficult to detect ragga-soca elements in that Gao Sheep Jumping song but maybe I am hard of hearing or need to clean my ears.

Last edited:

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
I just asking VP for some info and have no intention of getting into any long ragga-soca argument with him other than demonstrating that his idea of ragga-soca is not necessarily the same as what many others here believe is ragga-soca so hence it is pointless having a ragga-soca argument with him.

If VP is honest enough to answer my two simple questions rather than dancing around them as he has done so far then we will see that all these ragga-soca arguments with him are totally pointless.

Still waiting for his answers to these two questions which are:-

1. What position did that Gao Sheep Jumping song place in the 2011 SVG Ragga Soca Monarch competition?

2. Can he explain in simple words that anyone can understand what is ragga-soca about that Gao Sheep Jumping song i.e. what are the ragga-soca elements that we should be hearing?
I ADDRESSED QUESTION #2, which you DELETED at LEAST 5 TIMES already in that other thread, because you didn't want ANYONE to see the MANY FLAWS And HOLES in your FANTASY of a POST, so what makes you THINK I am going to ADDRESS them in this THREAD?

If you want the ANSWER To your QUESTION then all you have to do is STOP DELETING the THREAD like a LITTLE BOY.

How about it, eh SON?

winn dixie

Well, I have no idea who came up with the term or puttin it together....but i am here to defend our place in history....U Roy had a track back in the later 70s, also in '84, King Yellowman record this track :

I am willing to bet over the years that concept had to come to Byron Lee, given his 50 plus years in the business...

anyway, this is it.

Reggae Calypso - King Yellowman

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_fn21mgYY-s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

i could be wrong on this:uroy was experiencing wid reggae and calypso back in de 60's. then lord laro in de 70's. again dont quote on dem.

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
That said; RAGGA SOCA is COINED and DEFINED by VINCYLAND.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Si96xEC6xC8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Not only did he COIN the PHRASE "RAGGA SOCA," he TOLD the WORLD on WAX what the CENTRAL MUSICAL THEME/FEEL of his CREATION.

He said.....

SLOW DOWN THE BEAT and BOUNCE THE MUSIC
MIX A REGGAE AND SOCA GROOVE

Just for more EMPHASIS, I will ADD more of the LYRICS to CEMENT my ARGUMENT and to make another POINT.

BABY THIS RAGGA SOCA MUSIC REALLY SWEET
I'M HEARING IT ALL OVER AND I LIKE THE BEAT
MAKES ME WANT TO HOLD AND WINE
YES THE MUSIC BLOW ME MINE
DON'T LET ME GO DARLING
KISS ME WHILE YOU SQUEEZE
THIS MUSIC THAT I AM HEARING GOT A HOLD ON ME

I LOVE TO SEE WOMEN DANCE THIS MUSIC
I LOVE THE SEXY WAY THEY MOVE
OVER AND OVER THEY MAKE ME SING IT
JUST TO SEE THE THINGS THAT THEY DO
THE WAY THEY SWING THEIR BODY IN MOTION
WAISTLINE MOVING SO SWEET
I CAN'T HELP IT IF I AM GETTING TURN ON
DARLING THROW SOME LOVING ON ME

The WORDS in the LYRICS cannot be any CLEARER of what RAGGA SOCA is.

RAGGA SOCA is a GENRE of MUSIC, as DESCRIBED by WINSTON SOSO, is a SOUND and FEEL that makes you want to HOLD your WOMAN TIGHT and WINE or GRIND on her in a REGGAE and SOCA GROOVE.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
I ADDRESSED QUESTION #2, which you DELETED at LEAST 5 TIMES already in that other thread, because you didn't want ANYONE to see the MANY FLAWS And HOLES in your FANTASY of a POST, so what makes you THINK I am going to ADDRESS them in this THREAD?

If you want the ANSWER To your QUESTION then all you have to do is STOP DELETING the THREAD like a LITTLE BOY.

How about it, eh SON?
Keep dancing! dance1
You got my PM message explaining why I deleted your posts. I was more concerned about you trying to clutter and derail my thread as you have done to numerous threads on this forum on many occasions and I never wasted my time reading those long posts of yours which I prompted you not to post in that thread to begin with.

Anyway I already know the answers to both questions posed so you need not answer them.

Needless to say it is a complete waste of time having a discussion on ragga-soca with you because our views on what it is, are entirely different.

That Gao song is obviously a ragga-soca to you in your Vincy world but most other folks I know would laugh at such an assertion.

The point is there is no point anyone having a ragga-soca debate with you if they hail from outside of SVG, as we most likely will be looking at two completely different definitions of what ragga-soca is.

Sometimes in life folks have to agree to disagree and move on.

Bless :drinks:

Last edited:

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
Keep dancing! dance1
You got my PM message explaining why I deleted your posts. I was more concerned about you trying to clutter and derail my thread as you have done to numerous threads on this forum on many occasions and never wasted my time reading those long posts of yours which I prompted you not to posts in that thread to begin with.
SMH

CLUTTER like how you have CLUTTERED this THREAD?

What is the PURPOSE of CREATING a THREAD that U do not want anyone to ADDRESS?

If you're so CONFIDENT in what you've PUT FORTH as FACTS, then it shouldn't matter who CRITIQUE it, because INTELLIGENT PEOPLE or those with COMMONSENSE can tell who has the more SOUND ARGUMENT and who is just SHIT TALKING.

You do not have CONFIDENCE in yourself or that of persons to JUDGE which one of the two has a more CONVINCING ARGUMENT?

Your PROBLEM is a very SIMPLE one. You CREATE these threads PREGNANT with YOUR OPINION and then want people to BELIEVE that it is LAYERED with FACTS.

Again, if it is LAYERED with FACTS, it shouldn't MATTER who RESPOND to it. However, you and I know that there are HARDLY any FACTS in your POST and that is why you DELETED my RESPONSES.

How do you want to CREATE a THREAD about a PARTICULAR SUBJECT and do not want the MEMBERSHIP to ADDRESS IT?

What is the PURPOSE?

Oh yeah, the PURPOSE is to try and PUT the WOOL over the EYES of the UNSUSPECTED.

This LIKKLE BOY APPROACH by you of not wanting anyone to CRITIQUE your THREAD is CHILDISH. It simply means U R just out to DECEIVE; and the only how to MAINTAIN that DECEPTION is to not have SOMEONE who can EASILY RECOGNIZE the LIES, HALF-TRUTHS and OUTRIGHT PROPAGANDA in your POSTS...that would be me.

Your BIGGEST FEAR in this FORUM is VINCYPOWA, PERIOD, thus your CONSTANT DELETING and REPOSTING of your THREAD.

Anyway I already know the answers to both questions posed so you need not answer.
SMH

This is what I am TALKING about, THE LITTLE BOY ANTICS by a SUPPOSEDLY GROWN MAN.

If you know the ANSWER, why bother asking me?

Needless to say it is a complete waste of time having a discussion on ragga-soca with you because our views on what it is, is entirely different.
SMH

If it is a COMPLETE WASTE of TIME, why are you asking me about the GAO song?

Do you not see how you're PROVING EXACTLY what I have said?

Again, you're DECEITFUL and PRETENTIOUS LIKKLE BOY.

Tell me when you GROW UP and READY to PLAY in the BIG LEAGUES of DEBATING issues.

By the way, in case you're not aware, MOST PEOPLE who DEBATE an ISSUE do so because of a DIFFERENCE of OPINION with the person that they're debating.

That DIFFERENCE of OPINION is DEBATED and the ONE with the more CONVINCING ARGUMENT usually COMES out the VICTOR. So what is it you're AFRAID OF, eh LIKKLE BOY?

That Gao song is obviously a ragga-soca to you in your Vincy world but most other folks I know would laugh at such an assertion.
If they would LAUGH then you should have LEFT my RESPONSE in the THREAD you DELETED.

I HIGHLY DOUBT that they would have LAUGHED once they READ KEENLY the CONTENT of my response.

You on the other hand was just PLAIN SCARED that PEOPLE who are READING these THREADS would have seen the MANY FLAWS in your OPINIONATED PIECE of FANTASY post, which you referred to as FACTS.

If you do not know the DEFINITION of the word FACTS, I suggest that you use your GOOD FRIEND GOOGLE and LOOK up the MEANING.

The point is there is no point anyone having a ragga-soca debate with you if they hail from outside of SVG, as we most likely will be looking at two completely different definitions of what ragga-soca is.
SMH

Using your LOGIC, it doesn't make SENSE for persons who have DIFFERENT VIEWS on a SUBJECT to have a DEBATE.

LQQK, you must be LIVING in a FANTASY WORLD. However, I LIVE in the REAL WORLD, which says that persons with OPPOSITE VIEWS can have a HEALTHY and MEANINGFUL DEBATE on any SUBJECT.

When you GROW UP, LIKKLE DELUSIONAL BOY, let me KNOW.

YUHHHHHHHH SEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

Last edited:

pupaleendi

timeline

i read and observe... i believe everybody has someting to offer in this argument..if is de fusion of reggae and soca/calypso dat is de argument then we must go for de timeline which does not lie...i know uroy experimented.. but i dont know de years he did.. but from de soca side.. its between beckett and lord laro.. 'coming in high' which was in 1977 by beckett .. now laro was a flat out reggae/soca artist who came into mainstream late 70's early 80's...laro is trini..beckett is vincy.. so if anybody could truly establish between beckett and laro who came out first with an established hit.. dere we go..

MANISHWATERS

i read and observe... i believe everybody has someting to offer in this argument..if is de fusion of reggae and soca/calypso dat is de argument then we must go for de timeline which does not lie...i know uroy experimented.. but i dont know de years he did.. but from de soca side.. its between beckett and lord laro.. 'coming in high' which was in 1977 by beckett .. now laro was a flat out reggae/soca artist who came into mainstream late 70's early 80's...laro is trini..beckett is vincy.. so if anybody could truly establish between beckett and laro who came out first with an established hit.. dere we go..
You have a good point deh...i totally forgot about beckets coming high tune and that was way back in 1976-1977 they use to play that alot in greenzs at the time. who arranged coming high? was it frankie?

dedetriniking

Keep in mind that in addition to the argument of who/where soca and reggae was fused.....there is the other argument that soca songs these days with no reggae influence are being called ragga soca. That is where this whole thing is suspect. When you take a term coined in the 90s and apply it to music made in the 70s then one can grab whatever they want and put it into the mix.

By all appearances the vincies regard a song like Sugar Bum Bum by kitchener as ragga soca....if that is the case then the argument becames dopey and utterly ridiculous at that point....because you are now putting a slew of trini songs of the 70s, 80s, 90s into that ragga soca category.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Good points but can we retroactively brand what either of those old skool artists did back then in the 70's as ragga-soca?
I don't think so because ragga as a term and sub-genre of dancehall was only developed in the late 80's/early 90's.

Shorty also did this back in the 70's which I would not retrocatively brand as ragga-soca either!

Lord Shorty - Who God Bless (1978)
<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I1f6EeIzUrg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is why I think before we can have any logical discussion on this topic we need to agree on the definition of what ragga-soca is which is the main reason why I created this thread: http://www.islandmix.com/backchat/f...tes-definition-ragga-soca-249456/#post4221725

Last edited:

bhalistix

It is I
What's the name of the U-Roy track? I am assuming you couldn't find it on YouTube to post it as well?
I have a few re-issued U-Roy albums on CD so maybe I could find it and take a listen if you can tell me the name?

Btw I think Yellowman is accurate in the lyrics of that song, as it really sounds more like a reggae-calypso/soca-mento than a ragga-soca song despite Yellowman being a dancehall reggae artist.

Also I think both U-Roy and Yellowman are more from the previous generation of dancehall reggae DJs who were more singing DJs than Raggamuffin chatting DJs.
In other words those recordings by U-Roy and Yellowman were done before Ragga(mufin) dancehall music and the term Ragga were properly established.

I believe Ragga-Soca music and the term ragga-soca was inspired more by the modern raggamuffin dancehall music of the 90's than the era before that.
splitting hairs aren't we

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
splitting hairs aren't we
No, I am trying to establish a proper definition of what ragga-soca is because until we do folks will be all over the place.

Next thing in addition to Lord Laro men could start bringing rocksteady/ska-calypsos by Lord Creator and Lord Bryner into the argument about being the first ragga-soca if we don’t accurately define what we are talking about.

Last edited:

bhalistix

It is I
No, I am trying to establish a proper definition of what ragga-soca is because until we do folks will be all over the place.

Next thing in addition to Lord Laro men could start bringing rocksteady/ska-calypsos by Lord Creator and Lord Bryner into the argument about being the first ragga-soca if we don’t accurately define what we are talking about.
but if we summarize that there is a close connect, if not a direct connect, between reggae music and ragga music, calypso music and soca music, how far fetch is it to deduce that reggae calypso is the foundation to what is today ragga soca.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
but if we summarize that there is a close connect, if not a direct connect, between reggae music and ragga music, calypso music and soca music, how far fetch is it to deduce that reggae calypso is the foundation to what is today ragga soca.
We know about foundation and close connection.
But that is not the argument though.

If we want to run with that argument then we might as well conclude that some great great great ancestor back in African started ragga-soca and end all the debate right now.

Point is we need to define what we are talking about otherwise folks will be all over the place and this discussion will never get to a logical conclusion.

dedetriniking

It is not only important to do so...it is imperative to do so. The discussion cannot go forward unless you do so. If the vincies call songs like these Ragga Soca then we have a major disconnect and a major communication failure.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ay2t2YHTVhI?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ay2t2YHTVhI?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7iW3juCNr6Y?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7iW3juCNr6Y?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
I just want to add dat imitating a jamaican accent does not add anything new to a genre of music.
These people are so CONFUSED that you have NO CHOICE but to LAUGH and SHAKE YOUR HEAD at their UTTERANCES.

What is even more amusing is how they FABRICATE STORIES to FIT their FLAWED ARGUMENTS, which is they do not want persons to CRITIQUE their threads.

YUHHHHH SEEEEE MEEEEEEE