RALPH GONSALVES CHAMPIONING THE RACIST JUDICIALRULING AGAiNST DOMINICAN HAITIANS

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
Yes, the PRIME MINISTER of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Dr .Ralph Gonsalves, is CHAMPION THE FIGHT AGAINST the RACIST JUDICIAL RULING TOWARDS DOMINICANS of HAITIAN DESCENT.

Lappo

i am going to play devils advocate here....but has st vincent ever had such a huge influx of immigrants?

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
Dr Ralph Gonsalves, the prime minister of St Vincent and the Grenadines and soon-to-be chairman of CARICOM, is the only CARICOM leader to respond to the ruling. PM Gonsalves urged Medina to find a solution:

"Surely, this ruling by the court is unacceptable in any civilised community. It is an affront to all established international norms and elemental humanity, and threatens to make the Dominican Republic a pariah, regionally and globally."

The appropriately strong words from PM Gonsalves lay the groundwork for what should be a regional response from CARICOM. CARICOM now finds itself confronting opposite streams in relation to border control at one and the same time.

Fight Dominican Republic racism - In Focus - Jamaica Gleaner - Sunday | November 17, 2013

Lappo

that is not true, because countries smaller than svg have some serious immigration problems

SKBai1991

It's a good step, but there is also a great deal of hypocrisy here.

Haitians get treated like shit in nearly EVERY Caribbean country they reside in. Yes, the DR is racist as fxck...but at the same time nobody is taking the Bahamas to task over their treatment of Haitian immigrants when they proposed a similar measure a few years ago. Where's the outrage against the Bahamas, St Maarten, Dominica, the Turks & Caicos or Guadeloupe? Shiiiit, nuff ah aryou people talking bad bout Haitians SAME WAY up to now, so to call out Dominicans for doing what most other nationalities in the region are NOTORIOUS for doing is hypocritical.

tikreyol

Got Kompa?

Haitians get treated like shit in nearly EVERY Caribbean country they reside in. Yes, the DR is racist as fxck...but at the same time nobody is taking the Bahamas to task over their treatment of Haitian immigrants when they proposed a similar measure a few years ago. Where's the outrage against the Bahamas, St Maarten, Dominica, the Turks & Caicos or Guadeloupe? Shiiiit, nuff ah aryou people talking bad bout Haitians SAME WAY up to now, so to call out Dominicans for doing what most other nationalities in the region are NOTORIOUS for doing is hypocritical.
True. However DR's case is different from other islands, which is why i am torn on this issue. The DR actively seeks these peasants out to come work in their farms and fuel their economy so they can dump their goods back in Haiti. It's this cycle they have going that's got people upset I think. If the people were born in Haiti then send them back and seal your border. However the DR has to be responsible for these people born on their soil.

bktrini305

I think the general sentiment is hypocritical but that doesn't mean that he as world leader shouldn't speak out against it that which is wrong. Guyanese people receive the same treatment in many places but I'd expect some neutral party to speak up for them too. Particularly from B'Dos or Trinidad where it happens most.

side note: Gonsalves seems to be making a real career in international politics. I wonder if he's trying to leave SVG to work in the UN or something.

SKBai1991

True. However DR's case is different from other islands, which is why i am torn on this issue. The DR actively seeks these peasants out to come work in their farms and fuel their economy so they can dump their goods back in Haiti. It's this cycle they have going that's got people upset I think. If the people were born in Haiti then send them back and seal your border. However the DR has to be responsible for these people born on their soil.
I actually don't think as many people (outside of Haiti & DR) are actually aware of the economic relationship of the two countries but you bring up an excellent point. 1/5 of Dominican exports are to Haiti, and if HAITI were to place an embargo on Dominican products it would be a serious blow to their economy and perhaps cause them to think twice about this. I do believe Dominicans have a right to determine who is and isn't a Dominican, but I think it's wrong to make a nationality law retroactive and strip thousands of people of their citizenship after the fact, especially people who were previously contributing to their society socially and economically.

Truth is, the DR needs Haitian labour and these laws just give crooked employers more leverage to extort Haitian migrants. It's a fxcked cycle.

Lappo

time for the haitians to have some pride, after the dominicans shaming them, and slaughtering them fukin them in the ass for years they still want to go back in the peoples country?

IslandmixUSA

Dragon Singh
VP - look what de Obama White House has to say about yuh country

Saint Vincent and the Grenadines is a multiparty, parliamentary democracy with a population of approximately 121,000. On December 13, Prime Minister Ralph Gonsalves' Unity Labour Party (ULP) was returned to office in elections that international observers assessed as generally free and fair. Security forces reported to civilian authorities.

There were continued human rights problems in some areas, primarily impunity for police who used excessive force, poor prison conditions, an overburdened court system, violence against women, abuse of children, and discrimination against homosexual persons.
Freedom of Speech and Press

The law provides for freedom of speech and of the press, and the government generally respected these rights in practice.

The independent media were active and expressed a wide variety of views without restriction. However, there continued to be accounts of the prime minister or other officials rebuking the press for comments critical of the government.

In February the prime minister threatened to sue a local radio station, two talk show hosts, and an advertising company for alleging impropriety regarding a deposit in a state-owned bank. Local media feared the chilling effect of such threats on media reporting of alleged government wrongdoing.
2010 Human Rights Report: Saint Vincent and the Grenadines