Signs of mental illness..

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
If anybody here has been diagnosed with mental illness or has family/friends who have been diagnosed with any kind of mental illness.. what are the signs that would indicate that something might not be right..

reason why i'm asking is cos i'm reading some wall posts on FB for this group (an advice group) and i think yesterday somebody confessed to being mentally ill spontaneously and people went bananas and jeered/judged/joked etc. and today i guess they're doing some kinda sensitivity training cos they were supposed to be doing some book club thing but the topic is mental illness today apparenty.. , and from the whole heap of confessions of who has been diagnosed with something (a lot of people seem to be bipolar), or who have family members, so now theyre talkin about the signs.. and one girl said she realized something wasnt right because of shopping sprees.. like she spent 700-900 on average every 3 days.. i was like damnnnn.. and other people are agreeing that they were spending crazy money, another girl said she would take most of her paycheck from her account, go to the mall and ball out of control.. i am guessing this was in their manic stages (more than three of them said they were bipolar and did this).. i was very suprised at how much people have some mental illness

so what are some things you noticed... like i noticed this girl back in Tnt always wore long sleeve shirts.. i found that odd cos everybody knows that place is hot as fck. turns out she was a depressive and she was cutting herself.. one person said this that threw me for a loop
during manic episoded i always engage in risky behaviors regardless of the consequenses...a lot of the depression after a manic episode comes from the shame of realizing what you have done...ive actually cut hunks of skin from my arms with scissors..

Last edited:

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
hmm good question.. i am reading from people's comments. that a lot of people seemed to have panic attacks? so it might be.. but don't quote me on that.. it might very well be just anxiety.. but somebody said they were diagnosed with depression and anxiety..

bluedasheen

hard question LR...some mental illness could be so 'latent' as well as some could just seem like people acting the fool (like spending $$$$ shopping for no real reason). Anyway it's a very hush hush thing so I guess people just deal with it by pretending it's not there. I find the jeering etc very very insensitive though.

BTW just by reading the heading ah thought was imix people yuh talking bout oui :kicks

Inquistive

hmm good question.. i am reading from people's comments. that a lot of people seemed to have panic attacks? so it might be.. but don't quote me on that.. it might very well be just anxiety.. but somebody said they were diagnosed with depression and anxiety..
Depression and anxiety are often misdiagnosed by being mistaken for each other.

Similar symptoms

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
anxiety to the point u are medicated is definitely a mental illness. They are not talking about a little stress before taking a drivers' test but not being able to function and interact properly.

but yeah there is alot of mental illness out there. The brain is an organ like your liver or kidney, and is subject to malfunction like the rest of u.

LB

the actually took homosexuality of the books last month in our province as a mental illness.

Audree

Bush Baby
the signs vary,

it could be random mood swings, and I am not talking about PMS lmao

to entire personality change, extremely argumentative with out any reason,

like blowing things out of total proportion, man the list goes on.

I grew up seeing mental illness first hand but, that was due to drug abuse

the signs are there people just choose to ignore it and behave like they normal

until they tick.

S

sharkie

the signs vary,

it could be random mood swings, and I am not talking about PMS lmao

to entire personality change, extremely argumentative with out any reason,

like blowing things out of total proportion, man the list goes on.

I grew up seeing mental illness first hand but, that was due to drug abuse

the signs are there people just choose to ignore it and behave like they normal

until they tick.
who did you grow up seeing?

ah askin cuz ah fass, not cuz ah want to talk bout mental illness

dance1

LB

interesting, wonder why
there was reason why it was brought to the media that it was still on the books - I just dont recall why at the moment. so once the public heard that it was still technically a mental illness the govt was pressured to formally remove it from the books.

there was reason why it was brought to the media that it was still on the books - I just dont recall why at the moment. so once the public heard that it was still technically a mental illness the govt was pressured to formally remove it from the books.
u believe its a mental illness?

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
My neighbor was mentally ill and i never knew till. I was older...she used to do really strange things. And her family tried to gloss it over as nothing.. And ah hear she wukkin security wid a gun now.. Proof that tnt needs to screen people for certain jobs!!