"So......what do you do for a living?"

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers
when i used to work for Dept of Taxation and Finance, i used to lie when asked this quesiton or be very vague

EloquenceInc

Get your passport & come !
When someone that's interested in you approaches you.....is this one of the first questions that comes up in your conversation to ask them?

How important is it for you to know this from the get go?
Certain men ask this quick, the ones that are interested in nothing of substance, especially, which is ironic because that is the time you MOST don't need to know that.

When they ask, I answer and immediately ask them the same thing. If they don't ask me, I don't ask them... if you are really getting to know each other, it will come out naturally in conversation one day, unless both of you are airheads having airhead conversations all the while. Most of the time, people are asking this question out of a fear of what others will think if they are dating someone whose job title their social circle finds unimpressive/downright low-class. It's also a possible red flag that the guy asking is suffering money trouble, is a keep-up-with-the-joneses insecure asshole, or is a shallow airhead who is following what today's dating cliches says are supposed to be his checklist priorities.

EloquenceInc

Get your passport & come !
when i used to work for Dept of Taxation and Finance, i used to lie when asked this quesiton or be very vague
Why? Nobody should trust someone who gives vague answers and on a first date there is no reason to lie, you are just proving you and the person already incompatible. If it bothers you that much, answer them then x them off the list after the date...no more seeing them. A guy give me any vague answers on the first date I am losing interest because we are already going to have trust issues. And if he lies and I catch it after I started dating regularly, I'll leave him. No signs of flakiness or shadiness please.

So now that you don't work for them anymore you are all up front? Trying to figure out what was so special about that dept.

MÉCHANT LOUP

Cervical Cancer
Certain men ask this quick, the ones that are interested in nothing of substance, especially, which is ironic because that is the time you MOST don't need to know that.

When they ask, I answer and immediately ask them the same thing. If they don't ask me, I don't ask them... if you are really getting to know each other, it will come out naturally in conversation one day, unless both of you are airheads having airhead conversations all the while. Most of the time, people are asking this question out of a fear of what others will think if they are dating someone whose job title their social circle finds unimpressive/downright low-class. It's also a possible red flag that the guy asking is suffering money trouble, is a keep-up-with-the-joneses insecure asshole, or is a shallow airhead who is following what today's dating cliches says are supposed to be his checklist priorities.
I feel the "concerns" you stated are "passe".

Questions, like:

"What do you do for a living",

"How often do you go to church",

"How many kids do you have, and what are their ages."...etc.

Yes, for most seem rather intrusive and sort of like an intterogation....I get that.

But those questions are quite relative & poignant to people at least over 30.

People who ask questions like that are definitely dating for a purpose, and that purpose tends to be for a Long term relationship.

If a LTR' is far from your mind, I can see the concern...but that should prompt you to date in like minded circles.

Swollen

Players Play I Coach

all this and yet you wonder why you not married...

It's a question that I'm sure some people don't like to answer or even lie about, but if two people are genuinely trying to get to know each other better sooner or later the question will come up. I do think its a question to ask early on, so you will be aware of the type of person you are dealing with. Meaning, whether or not the person is ambitious or just comfortable with where they are.

Moqueca

I am proud of what I do so I will not hesitate to answer the question

YUHHHHHHHHHHH SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEee

Liberian.Girl

Yes this is a question I ask early on when getting to know someone. It gives you some insight into their level of ambition. Don't like it...move on to the next woman *shrug*

J

Juan Dan

there is a mighty difference between a sex date or getting to know someone to sex them

vs a date that should lead to a serious relationship or marriage

lotsa ya are whores

men and women

acting like 007 and 00whore