Soca DJ's

Papa_smurf

Small Island....BIG TINGZ
Hey I want to hear from any Soca DJ's out there and up coming DJ's I want to get into it and become a soca DJ if u got any tips and info I would b very greatful, thanks

WYLD FYRE

dont be a mp3 dj

(1)dont just go on the net and download music .
(2)buy cd and read about the artist
(3)listen all kinds of music and hear what could mix with soca
(4)very important learn to mix
(5) cut plates cause ever body and there mother will have all the same tunes you have .
(6) listen to lots of dj and learn from them

NUFF LOVE AND RESPECT
FYRE KAMIKAZE

DJ Mr. X

play whatever it takes to keep the people on the floor. pay very close attention to people facial gestures(don't know if i spelled that right) when you mix in a tune.

TJON

dont try to build a name off of one dance....if you playin early warm...PLAY EARLY WARM..dances are all about building up vibes..by playin the big tunes @ 11:30 you can wreck the vibe for the whole night, cause nobody is trying to play tunes twice...and nothing is worse than a crowd standing around when they should be getting on BAD!

Papa_smurf

thank u all for your help, I have started mixing and it sounding alrite much room for improvement, but I will get there, one Big ting is getting hold of certain soca music from certain islands because in London it is VERY Hard to get certain soca almost impossible!!!

Papa_smurf

I am going to b the kind of DJ that plays all forms of Calypso/Soca from all the islands, I will play old and new songs to cater for all the people

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
Papa_smurf said:
Hey I want to hear from any Soca DJ's out there and up coming DJ's I want to get into it and become a soca DJ if u got any tips and info I would b very greatful, thanks
Mek sure you PLAY Vincy MUSIC, else de DANCE ah go BUSS.

DeSocaPrincess

Be like water
TJON said:
dont try to build a name off of one dance....if you playin early warm...PLAY EARLY WARM..dances are all about building up vibes..by playin the big tunes @ 11:30 you can wreck the vibe for the whole night, cause nobody is trying to play tunes twice...and nothing is worse than a crowd standing around when they should be getting on BAD!
not making trouble but what defines this and what peroid is considered warm up music? and is there a dessicussion on who plays what before the party ie; platlists or do you just play what moves you. can you be a bit more clear on this point

benjie

Debble
If you playing, mix the music just don't cut off one and throw on the other. Build continuity in your mix so that it almost feels like a never ending song. Practice, practice, practice, practice until you get to the point where you can mix the song without checking the bpm's. Oh yeah and don't forget to practice.

Last edited:
M

Mad Scorpion

1. Learn to mix, blend, fade and cut.

2. Learn when to use these techiques.

3. Get as much music as you can from all decades, genres and regions

4. Play music for your audience and not yourself. Many upcomming DJs fall into the trap of playing songs they like even if the crowd seems opposed. Veterans do it too but either way it's not good.

5. Learn to properly guage your crowd. Do not be fooled by 5 people jumping when 20 are standing around or sitting. Also understand that everyone doesn't need to be acting like a wild animal to be enjoying your style of play.

6. Always have a plan and 3 backup plans on how to approach a play out. (for guest appearances) Never go in expecting that all the things you want to play will be at your disposal.

7. Develop but don't plan to rely on a few bail out routines. Routines are bad but every now and then you may fall into a situation where a certain group of songs can get people moving. Once they are moving then you can set the routine aside and build your vibe.

8. Do not depend on the mic when mixing. Many DJs now mask horrendous mixes with talking and effects.

9. Practice

10. Be creative and innovative. It's a great feeling when revellers and DJs alike compliment you on your mixing style, selection and skill.

11. Strive to be the best at your craft.

12. Do not get discouraged by peoples opinions of your skill. Keep in mind that you can always learn and if possible see what you can objectively improve based on others criticisms.

13. Be a DJ because you love music and love to entertain. Do not do it for fame, sex & money.

14. Learn to play all types of genres and ignore anyone who tries to force you to become what you do not want to be. If your aim is to be a soca DJ then do it.

15. Understand your role and play your position. If you are there to start then play music that gets people to unwind and on the floor. Do not try to outshine the closer when you are the opener. Not only will you ruin the party but you'll ruin opportunities to form alliences and friendships with other DJs who can potentially be assets as friends.

16. Do not beg for gigs. People who do that end up in the unfavorable position of being depended on to play for free. Know your worth and do not allow others to devalue your services.

17. Learn from all your encounters. Whether it be learning what not to do or learning what to do, you can always gain knowlege from interacting with other DJs.

18. When you go out to socialize do not spend time with others critiquing the current DJs play. It's better to keep your opinions in this matter to yourself. You never know who's friends with whom. If you like something about a DJs style and they seem approachable try talking to them and compliment tham as well.

19. Have fun doing it. If it's not fun it will feel like a regular job and be frustrating and stressful.

20. When playing house parties be prepared for pests. There will always be people in these kinds of parties that want you to play what is on their mix CDs and in their media players. Be objective and try not to be harsh or rude to them. Sometimes they can be relentless but you should try not to let them upset the balance.

Sorry to be so long winded but I think these are all very important.