St. Lucia Zouks Should change their name

Klang

Real Patriot
would anybody be able to put me in contact who is responsible for naming the team, i know some on here must be able to point me in de right direction. real talk.

disrespectful and misleading, question how would you feel if jamaica called their team soca warriors?
JA will never do that cuz they are the land of Reggae, and no one can call demselfs Soca Warriors cuz its reserved already for the Land of Soca.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
disrespectful and misleading, question how would you feel if jamaica called their team soca warriors?
interesting.

...not really sure if ii would feel any way as so many caribbean islands have adopted soca as their own.

interesting.

...not really sure if ii would feel any way as so many caribbean islands have adopted soca as their own.
I actually dont have a problem with them adopting whatever, i have a problem with their downright disdain for the roots and their lack of paying homage

other than that, if they lacking culture we can share

:kicks

with regards to this zouk thing, i dont know

Klang

Real Patriot
you trinis would not care as much because trinidad have their name already. but for a lesser known island like ourself is different. lucia who has no link to the genre to claim it is unethical. poor decision and research by whoever responsible. but lets be honest, if a more popular island like jamaica started claiming soca, and especially claiming it on an official level like this, im sure many of you would have something to say...

you trinis would not care as much because trinidad have their name already. but for a lesser known island like ourself is different. lucia who has not link to the genre to claim it is unethical. poor decision and research by whoever responsible. but lets be honest, if a more popular island like jamaica started claiming soca, and especially claiming it on an official level like this, im sure many of you would have something to say...
UR island is not lesser known at at all, but I taught Zouk was from Guadeloupe?

Klang

Real Patriot
UR island is not lesser known at at all, but I taught Zouk was from Guadeloupe?
it is lesser known globally compared to the others.

Kassav' was formed in 1979 by Pierre-Edouard Décimus (former musicians from the Les Vikings de Guadeloupe) and Paris studio musician Jacob F. Desvarieux. Together and under the influence of well-known Dominican and Guadeloupean kadans or compas bands like Experience 7, Grammacks and Exile One, they decided to make Guadeloupean carnival music and record it in a more fully orchestrated yet modern and polished style. In the 1980s they took Caribbean music to another level by recording in the new digital format.

basically zouk come from guadeloupe and dominica and was later fine tuned in martinique guadeloupe. but the base of the genre lays in dominica and guadeloupe.

Kassav' was formed in 1979 by Pierre-Edouard Décimus (former musicians from the Les Vikings de Guadeloupe) and Paris studio musician Jacob F. Desvarieux. Together and under the influence of well-known Dominican and Guadeloupean kadans or compas bands like Experience 7, Grammacks and Exile One, they decided to make Guadeloupean carnival music and record it in a more fully orchestrated yet modern and polished style. In the 1980s they took Caribbean music to another level by recording in the new digital format.

basically zouk come from guadeloupe and dominica and was later fine tuned in martinique guadeloupe. but the base of the genre lays in dominica and guadeloupe.
SO why is St Lucia basically stealing ur stuff?

yo i hate when some of these islands do this, and their brass face with it

Klang

Real Patriot
SO why is St Lucia basically stealing ur stuff?

yo i hate when some of these islands do this, and their brass face with it
its me you asking? one lucian told me on here because they play it a lot on their island, and it has become an important addition to their island they can claim it. i said i disagree, you can only claim something that is indigenous to your island. for example reggae is played nuff in trinidad from the day reggae was born, but would trinis ever mention and promote reggae as their culture? because lucians happen to speak creole (also note their creole is different than ours, but that is for different thread), many assume they have the same culture as us in french caribbean. but in reality that is false. by that logic because bajans or grenadian antiguans etc speak english like trinis, barbados or grenadians have the same culture as trinidad and claim soca?

its me you asking? one lucian told me on here because they play it a lot on their island, and it has become an important addition to their island they can claim it. i said i disagree, you can only claim something that is indigenous to your island. for example reggae is played nuff in trinidad from the day reggae was born, but would trinis ever mention and promote reggae as their culture? because lucians happen to speak creole (also note their creole is different than ours, but that is for different thread), many assume they have the same culture as us in french caribbean. but in reality that is false. by that logic because bajans or grenadian antiguans etc speak english like trinis, barbados or grenadians have the same culture as trinidad and claim soca?
well St Lucia and Dominica is like twins in the Caribbean i guess, dats how people see it, because of the whole English/French dual culture. even if they have Zouk stars and even if they contributed to the Genre of Zouk, they cannot claim it as theirs..it will always belong to the root, but they can enjoy it because at the end of the day its Caribbean music, but do they have an original music of their own?

Klang

Real Patriot
well St Lucia and Dominica is like twins in the Caribbean i guess, dats how people see it, because of the whole English/French dual culture. even if they have Zouk stars and even if they contributed to the Genre of Zouk, they cannot claim it as theirs..it will always belong to the root, but they can enjoy it because at the end of the day its Caribbean music, but do they have an original music of their own?
st lucia and dominica is not twins, thats another misleading fact. if any island is our twin it is guadeloupe. yes we have similarities but many differences, for one in relation to this thread st lucia is much more Anglicized musically than us. even look at our carnivals, lucia bringin down machel montano as a main act, have big soca monarch etc, their carnival falls in the summer with the other english islands, while ours is the original date like the other creole islands. we are in between two french creole islands unlike lucia, the french influence will obviously be more strong. my issue is never with anybody using or playing our music, it s always about credit. st lucia should never name their team zouks as they have not created or developed the genre.

st lucia and dominica is not twins, thats another misleading fact. if any island is our twin it is guadeloupe. yes we have similarities but many differences, for one in relation to this thread st lucia is much more Anglicized musically than us. even look at our carnivals, lucia bringin down machel montano as a main act, have big soca monarch etc, their carnival falls in the summer with the other english islands, while ours is the original date like the other creole islands. we are in between two french creole islands unlike lucia, the french influence will obviously be more strong. my issue is never with anybody using or playing our music, it s always about credit. st lucia should never name their team zouks as they have not created or developed the genre.
i dont know in everybody mind, its St Lucia and Dominca is twins and Gwada and Matnik is twins.

St.Lucia is not different than all the other St Islands, Anu, BIM, SVG, Grenada that follow the same TNT pattern for carnival. I dont have a problem with that, again i have a major problem with the lack of homage and wanton disrespect for TNT

With regards to Dominica, i admire that u guys have an original carnival, would like to visit..i think some people were advocating for Dominica to change their date because of conflict with Trinidad and other major carnivals around the world but the people are adamant about keeping it original.

BIG UP!

dollbabi

Earth Angel

I have always heard zouk to have come out of Martinique and Guadeloupe. Its roots vary but enough to claim it is Dominican?

Is this your view? Zouk - Tracing the History of the Music to its Dominican Roots

Klang

Real Patriot
i dont know in everybody mind, its St Lucia and Dominca is twins and Gwada and Matnik is twins.

St.Lucia is not different than all the other St Islands, Anu, BIM, SVG, Grenada that follow the same TNT pattern for carnival. I dont have a problem with that, again i have a major problem with the lack of homage and wanton disrespect for TNT

With regards to Dominica, i admire that u guys have an original carnival, would like to visit..i think some people were advocating for Dominica to change their date because of conflict with Trinidad and other major carnivals around the world but the people are adamant about keeping it original.

BIG UP!
yes respect, islands can be similar, almost identical. but no two islands are the same. people have to realize different islands have strengths and weakness, example barbados have more nicer resorts, better developed beaches and better economy, yet trinidad more natural resources and more music and culture. just be proud of what ur island have to offer and focus on that.

yes respect, islands can be similar, almost identical. but no two islands are the same. people have to realize different islands have strengths and weakness, example barbados have more nicer resorts, better developed beaches and better economy, yet trinidad more natural resources and more music and culture. just be proud of what ur island have to offer and focus on that.
so what St Lucia have to offer?

Lucianite

I don't know what to say because I'm not really into this. Maybe brother bhastix can shed some light n this

What team is name zouks ? Well copyright the name lol