St. Lucia Zouks Should change their name

Klang

Real Patriot
I have always heard zouk to have come out of Martinique and Guadeloupe. Its roots vary but enough to claim it is Dominican?

Is this your view? Zouk - Tracing the History of the Music to its Dominican Roots
well to begin most dominicans do not really claim zouk, when they speak of dominican music they would first mention cadencelypso. yet some domincans do claim zouk and rightfully so. the influence is undeniable, when even kassav the creators of zouk admit it was just a progression of our music. like the story states zouk was originally formed in guadeloupe under the influence of well established dominican bands, so in reality we were there from the beginning. it later spread to martinique and was fine tuned from there. jeff joe and jacob were very good friends and even up to today the legacy continues dominicans and guadeloupeans jam together all the time. thousands of dominicans have been living there from them times and currently reside in guadeloupe all now. thats why for me personally i will claim zouk as our music also.

look at the pictures and listen to the song

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DrmCfpP8bdk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xiz-Mkf42Pg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0-CKINmb2kM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

r.i.p to jeff, but there were more who played major roles who still alive now, dont forget bout the midnight groovers, exile one, belles combo etc...nobody should say we cant claim zouk...

Klang

Real Patriot
but Klang, influence is not a right to claim, where is the movement rooted?
but dominicans were right there in the same place same time, same island with them bredrin...all them guadeloupeans were always surrounded by dominican musicians in that era. first off i am not even claiming zouk that tuff as it was martinique and guadeloupe who pushed it like i said. however i will still put that feather into our hat simply because like kassav admitted themself, they took our music and just progressed it, recording it digitally etc. we were there from the start. lemme repeat it for you one last time.

Kassav' was formed in 1979 by Pierre-Edouard Décimus (former musicians from the Les Vikings de Guadeloupe) and Paris studio musician Jacob F. Desvarieux. Together and under the influence of well-known Dominican and Guadeloupean kadans or compas bands like Experience 7, Grammacks and Exile One, they decided to make Guadeloupean carnival music and record it in a more fully orchestrated yet modern and polished style. In the 1980s they took Caribbean music to another level by recording in the new digital format.

also if you watched the videos i posted you will see jacob and inspired musically.

Klang

Real Patriot
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ezof6A48Wt8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the president of haiti, thr mecca of creole music. bigging up the man from d.a. calling de man his idol.

Ayisyen

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ezof6A48Wt8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the president of haiti, thr mecca of creole music. bigging up the man from d.a. calling de man his idol.
I like how Jeff Joe went on to say Kadans was a derivative of Konpa music..then he stops and goes on to say that is where Zouk comes from, Haiti..enough said. I also loved when he talked about his repeated travels from NY to Haiti and back, with his band Grammacks during the seventies and eighties..and how he actually used to live in Haiti during those times.

Oneshot

where de crix
Zouk, is Gwada & Martinique, for sure, but Cadence is Dominica, just like Konpa is Haitian. Every country used its own instrument and style in production of the music.

But Klang have a good point, I dont understand why they call themselves the Zouks, unlesssss they trying to appeal to nearby french markets

Klang

Real Patriot
the thirst for validation is real :kicks
likle i said you people from bigger islands will not be able to understand, haiti have its name already. yet i ask you the same question, if cuba or jamaica called their team the kompas warriors how would you feel? would u still be laughing liek a jackass?

Klang

Real Patriot
I like how Jeff Joe went on to say Kadans was a derivative of Konpa music..then he stops and goes on to say that is where Zouk comes from, Haiti..enough said. I also loved when he talked about his repeated travels from NY to Haiti and back, with his band Grammacks during the seventies and eighties..and how he actually used to live in Haiti during those times.
i also like how sweet micky said jeff joe influenced his music and haitians music...

Ayisyen

i also like how sweet micky said jeff joe influenced his music and haitians music...
in which he is correct..you can especially hear it during those times in the music of bands like DP Express and Scorpio..never been any denying of the Dominican influence..:kicks:

Castro

I agree. The explanation given below is as lame as the name. 1 of 4 islands known for its zouk music?

We enjoy zouk in St. Lucia but i wouldn't say we known for it. They coulda find something more unique to the island. Something the average St. Lucian can actually identify with.

BEHIND THE NAME - St Lucia is one of four islands in the Caribbean known for its zouk music, and so a fitting name for the Lucian team is the St Lucia Zouks™

Klang

Real Patriot
I agree. The explanation given below is as lame as the name. 1 of 4 islands known for its zouk music?

We enjoy zouk in St. Lucia but i wouldn't say we known for it. They coulda find something more unique to the island. Something the average St. Lucian can actually identify with.

BEHIND THE NAME - St Lucia is one of four islands in the Caribbean known for its zouk music, and so a fitting name for the Lucian team is the St Lucia Zouks™
thank you, finally a honest lucian.

Lucianite

The reason Castro stated is different from what you were saying

He saying there cold be a more uniquely st ucian association name and I can agree with that

You sound st Lucia stole something from u lol

tikreyol

Got Kompa?
likle i said you people from bigger islands will not be able to understand, haiti have its name already. yet i ask you the same question, if cuba or jamaica called their team the kompas warriors how would you feel? would u still be laughing liek a jackass?
And Dominica has theirs. Everyone knows of their involvement in Zouk & Konpa music. It's been noted, discussed, debated etc. You don't have to keep beating it like a dead horse.

Cuba or Jamaica would never call their team the Konpa warriors because they have strong musical ties to their own genres. Plus even though Konpa had productions in other French Caribbean territories it was always Haitian. Zouk was never solely Gwada or solely Matinik. It was always something shared. Sort of the way Salsa music was.

Klang

Real Patriot
And Dominica has theirs. Everyone knows of their involvement in Zouk & Konpa music. It's been noted, discussed, debated etc. You don't have to keep beating it like a dead horse.

Cuba or Jamaica would never call their team the Konpa warriors because they have strong musical ties to their own genres. Plus even though Konpa had productions in other French Caribbean territories it was always Haitian. Zouk was never solely Gwada or solely Matinik. It was always something shared. Sort of the way Salsa music was.
dominica have their name in french caribbean, not in english...thats why on imix i push our culture. ask the average english west indian where zouk comes from they wont mention dominica.

ok lewwe face the facts they should not be naming it zouk nothing, name it after their indigenous music or something

talk done, 1 point for Klang