St. Lucia Zouks Should change their name

Klang

Real Patriot
Which islands dont have their own indigenous?
most islands have their indigenous music, however these arent unique to their specific island. just like martinique, lucia and most islands colonized at one point by the french both have quadrille developed on their islands, however martinique also have biguine music that was developed uniquely on that island and not lucia...

dollbabi

Earth Angel
sorry to burst bubble but most islands dont have their own indigenous music, yet alone one that has made a regional/global impact.
most islands have their indigenous music, however these arent unique to their specific island. just like martinique, lucia and most islands colonized at one point by the french both have quadrille developed on their islands, however martinique also have biguine music that was developed uniquely on that island and not lucia...
Backtracking boy...

Klang

Real Patriot
Backtracking boy...
:kicks how? lets not play dumb.... keyword own. meaning it is your own and do not share it, unique to your island. its a common fact lucia and the other islands have quadrille but frankly that is nothing special because even though it is indigenous other islands have the exact same thing. i am speaking of indigenous folk genres unique to that particular island,

dollbabi

Earth Angel
:kicks how? lets not play dumb.... keyword own. meaning it is your own and do not share it, unique to your island. its a common fact lucia and the other islands have quadrille but frankly that is nothing special because even though it is indigenous other islands have the exact same thing. i am speaking of indigenous folk genres unique to that particular island,
Hateful.

Apparently, St. Lucia has a folk music called jwé. Far too easy to find..smh.

Jwé (play) is a form of rural Lucian folk music associated with beach parties, wakes, débòt dances and full moon gatherings. Jwé is performed as an informal, social event that provide the chance for Lucians to show off their verbal skills, and communicate their comedic, social and political commentaries without offending people. Jwé includes both songs for men and women, both of which can be singers, though most Lucian folk instrumentalists are male. A jwé performance is considered good if the audience participates enthusiastically by clapping, responding to the leader and singing and dancing. Some Lucians avoid jwé altogether because of its sexually raunchy lyricism and atmosphere; nevertheless, elements of jwé have entered mainstream Lucian culture, such as the use of lang dévivé, or saying the opposite of what is meant.[2]

Musical elements of jwé include gém (game song), listwa (storytelling), jwé chanté (sung songs) and jwé dansé (song-play-dance). These forms are united by their use of the Creole language, their use of call-and-response singing between a leader and a chorus, with the exception of listwa, and the use of improvisation. Jwé chanté and listwa are purely vocal styles with no accompaniment, nor any traditional dance; the other two are typically accompanied by a ka drum or sometimes the tibwa percussion sticks, which provides a rhythm for dancers.[5]

Sung jwé, jwé chanté or chanté kont, is mostly part of the funeral wake tradition. A jwé chanté leader uses pantomime to enact scenes from a story, or sometimes just the ribald double entendres from it. The gém (game song) are based around a leader who uses his own flourishes on a choreographed dance and improvises witty lyrics, while the audience participates in the performance.[2] Jwé dansé includes four traditional dances. The solo is a couple dance, and the débòt, yonbòt and jwé pòté are all circle dances. The blòtjé is a musical movement found in all jwé dansé styles, occurring, for example, every four beats in the débòt dance.[2]

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Hateful.

Jwé (play) is a form of rural Lucian folk music associated with beach parties, wakes, débòt dances and full moon gatherings. Jwé is performed as an informal, social event that provide the chance for Lucians to show off their verbal skills, and communicate their comedic, social and political commentaries without offending people. Jwé includes both songs for men and women, both of which can be singers, though most Lucian folk instrumentalists are male. A jwé performance is considered good if the audience participates enthusiastically by clapping, responding to the leader and singing and dancing. Some Lucians avoid jwé altogether because of its sexually raunchy lyricism and atmosphere; nevertheless, elements of jwé have entered mainstream Lucian culture, such as the use of lang dévivé, or saying the opposite of what is meant.[2]

Musical elements of jwé include gém (game song), listwa (storytelling), jwé chanté (sung songs) and jwé dansé (song-play-dance). These forms are united by their use of the Creole language, their use of call-and-response singing between a leader and a chorus, with the exception of listwa, and the use of improvisation. Jwé chanté and listwa are purely vocal styles with no accompaniment, nor any traditional dance; the other two are typically accompanied by a ka drum or sometimes the tibwa percussion sticks, which provides a rhythm for dancers.[5]

Sung jwé, jwé chanté or chanté kont, is mostly part of the funeral wake tradition. A jwé chanté leader uses pantomime to enact scenes from a story, or sometimes just the ribald double entendres from it. The gém (game song) are based around a leader who uses his own flourishes on a choreographed dance and improvises witty lyrics, while the audience participates in the performance.[2] Jwé dansé includes four traditional dances. The solo is a couple dance, and the débòt, yonbòt and jwé pòté are all circle dances. The blòtjé is a musical movement found in all jwé dansé styles, occurring, for example, every four beats in the débòt dance.[2]
Sounds to me as if St Lucia's folk music and culture is just as rich and unique as Dominica's so don't know what that parroting klown called Klang is going to do now! :good:

Dr Insane

I don't know what to say because I'm not really into this. Maybe brother bhastix can shed some light n this

What team is name zouks ? Well copyright the name lol
The zouks is the new Caribbean premier league cricket team. I was surprise by the name as well. I would name it something like St. Lucia pitons or something more Lucian. I can see why WICB would name them that though.

Klang

Real Patriot
Hateful.

:kicks so you think this music is unique to lucia? show me what jwe sounds like

Klang

Real Patriot
for those who say zouk is not from dominica...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VHfOuV4gOSk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lovely dominica, land of zouk and party.....that is we music.

dev

The zouks were just bought by a rich singapore-based company.

Sports Holdings Limited (ISH) has confirmed the purchase of the St. Lucia Zouks franchise just a day before the inaugural Limacol Caribbean Premier League (LCPL) T20 Tournament got underway.

The Singapore-based company is expanding into cricket and other sports franchise opportunities globally. Members of the management team were responsible for the recent acquisition of Glasgow Rangers and have extensive experience with global sports management, franchise operations and investment management.

bhalistix

It is I
people are desperate to stay relevant in the ever fast moving world of global development. You have to ask yourself would any one even know Dominica existed if they weren't tagging on to the other french Caribbean (ST. LUCIA, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Haiti) coat tail????? I ASK YOU :nea::nea::nea::nea:

Carry on...

Klang

Real Patriot
The zouks were just bought by a rich singapore-based company.

Sports Holdings Limited (ISH) has confirmed the purchase of the St. Lucia Zouks franchise just a day before the inaugural Limacol Caribbean Premier League (LCPL) T20 Tournament got underway.

The Singapore-based company is expanding into cricket and other sports franchise opportunities globally. Members of the management team were responsible for the recent acquisition of Glasgow Rangers and have extensive experience with global sports management, franchise operations and investment management.
they made a very uneducated decision and i will be surely contacting the

Oneshot

where de crix
they made a very uneducated decision and i will be surely contacting the
i disagree, it is a franchise, and Sammy is becoming a well known name worldwide in cricket, is just a matter of time before the US get involved. I can imagine seeing zouk jerseys for every fete,

Klang

Real Patriot
well, they could of named the team various different things representing st lucia. its not just about the money.name me one artist from lucia?

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
for those who say zouk is not from dominica...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VHfOuV4gOSk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lovely dominica, land of zouk and party.....that is we music.
If Dominicans can adopt Zouk then so too can the St Lucians if they choose to.

Jaunty - Ladje Mwen
<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1jpl5scLqp0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Look there is even Zouk from T&T via artists like Prince Unique.

Prince Unique - Wine Yuh Waist (1990)
<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4ZeiQV0Q3_Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You need to relax yourself from your tired Dominica this Dominica that BS as no one who knows music is buying it!

Klang

Real Patriot
If Dominicans can adopt Zouk then so too can the St Lucians if they choose to.

Jaunty - Ladje Mwen
<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1jpl5scLqp0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Look there is even Zouk from T&T via artists like Prince Unique.

Prince Unique - Wine Yuh Waist (1990)
<iframe width="550" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4ZeiQV0Q3_Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You need to relax yourself from your tired Dominica this Dominica that BS as no one who knows music is buying it!
smh @ if dominica can adopt zouk, did you hear what the man said. lovely dominica land of zouk and party. stay out of this convo; you know nothing of french caribbean music scene; even the lucians themself admit it was a poor name choice

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
smh @ if dominica can adopt zouk, did you hear what the man said. lovely dominica land of zouk and party. stay out of this convo; you know nothing of french caribbean music scene; even the lucians themself admit it was a poor name choice
Truth is anyone can make a song and say in that song that their country is the land of zouk but that does not make it reality.

The reality is I probably have more zouk CD albums in my collection over the years than you do so you don't know what I know or don't know about zouk music and zouk artists from St Lucia, Dominica, Martinique, Guadeloupe or elsewhere.

As I said before St Lucia has as much right to adopt the name St Lucian Zouks for their cricket team as Dominica or any other island that loves zouk has. It’s too bad they thought about using the name before you guys did. The only way I see them changing the name is if Martinique or Guadeloupe complains and I don't think they are that insecure about where zouk started to be bothered about complaining.

PS:
The views of a few posters here on Imix do not represent the views of everyone from the country they hail from and if you were intelligent enough you would be able to work that out.