St. Lucia Zouks Should change their name

humble1

would anybody be able to put me in contact who is responsible for naming the team, i know some on here must be able to point me in de right direction. real talk.
Zouk or Zouk béton is a fast tempo carnival style of music originating from the Caribbean islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique, popularized by the French Antilles kassav in the 1980s.

Zouk means festival, well-named because it uses carnival rhythms and contains West African influences. Zouk arose in the early to mid-1980s from kadans. Elements of gwo ka, tambour, ti bwa and biguine vidé are prominent in zouk. The French Creole tongue of Martinique and Guadeloupe is an important element, and are a distinctive part of the music. From Wikipedia
Which part of it says Dominica??? and by the way after visiting St.Lucia and Dominica, St.Lucians speak much more and better creole than Dominicas. St.Lucians are also direct descendants of Martiquans but St.Lucians are not bitter nor jealous we still enjoy the Dominican music.

humble1

you don't know anything St.Lucia;s carnival was in FEBRAURY but it changed to accommodate less competition and allow more tourists to the beautiful shores of St.Lucia. Like many St.Lucians our direct descendants are Martiniquans so go an educate yourself as you sound very stupid

Maruka

Qualified Mixologist
Hateful.

Apparently, St. Lucia has a folk music called jwé. Far too easy to find..smh.

Jwé (play) is a form of rural Lucian folk music associated with beach parties, wakes, débòt dances and full moon gatherings. Jwé is performed as an informal, social event that provide the chance for Lucians to show off their verbal skills, and communicate their comedic, social and political commentaries without offending people. Jwé includes both songs for men and women, both of which can be singers, though most Lucian folk instrumentalists are male. A jwé performance is considered good if the audience participates enthusiastically by clapping, responding to the leader and singing and dancing. Some Lucians avoid jwé altogether because of its sexually raunchy lyricism and atmosphere; nevertheless, elements of jwé have entered mainstream Lucian culture, such as the use of lang dévivé, or saying the opposite of what is meant.[2]

Musical elements of jwé include gém (game song), listwa (storytelling), jwé chanté (sung songs) and jwé dansé (song-play-dance). These forms are united by their use of the Creole language, their use of call-and-response singing between a leader and a chorus, with the exception of listwa, and the use of improvisation. Jwé chanté and listwa are purely vocal styles with no accompaniment, nor any traditional dance; the other two are typically accompanied by a ka drum or sometimes the tibwa percussion sticks, which provides a rhythm for dancers.[5]

Sung jwé, jwé chanté or chanté kont, is mostly part of the funeral wake tradition. A jwé chanté leader uses pantomime to enact scenes from a story, or sometimes just the ribald double entendres from it. The gém (game song) are based around a leader who uses his own flourishes on a choreographed dance and improvises witty lyrics, while the audience participates in the performance.[2] Jwé dansé includes four traditional dances. The solo is a couple dance, and the débòt, yonbòt and jwé pòté are all circle dances. The blòtjé is a musical movement found in all jwé dansé styles, occurring, for example, every four beats in the débòt dance.[2]
even i knew that.. their music was even fused into some soca and i was asking y not they experiment with it a little more in one thread cause it actuallly sounded good.. that could be a start to their own ID in music

Maruka

Qualified Mixologist
people are desperate to stay relevant in the ever fast moving world of global development. You have to ask yourself would any one even know Dominica existed if they weren't tagging on to the other french Caribbean (ST. LUCIA, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Haiti) coat tail????? I ASK YOU :nea::nea::nea::nea:

Carry on...
shut yuh coucon!! People know us for us and not from slu..

SKBai1991

Zouk or Zouk béton is a fast tempo carnival style of music originating from the Caribbean islands of Guadeloupe and Martinique, popularized by the French Antilles kassav in the 1980s.

Zouk means festival, well-named because it uses carnival rhythms and contains West African influences. Zouk arose in the early to mid-1980s from kadans. Elements of gwo ka, tambour, ti bwa and biguine vidé are prominent in zouk. The French Creole tongue of Martinique and Guadeloupe is an important element, and are a distinctive part of the music. From Wikipedia
Which part of it says Dominica??? and by the way after visiting St.Lucia and Dominica, St.Lucians speak much more and better creole than Dominicas. St.Lucians are also direct descendants of Martiquans but St.Lucians are not bitter nor jealous we still enjoy the Dominican music.
I hear lucians speaking kreyol more often but they also use more English words when they do

Maruka

Qualified Mixologist
I hear lucians speaking kreyol more often but they also use more English words when they do
i know some ppl from slu that speak it fluently.. the majority of the ones i know mix it with enlgish.. just go parts of dominica like grandbay or country sides and you will find ppl who speak nothing but creole.. my grand aunt can't even speak english anymore. I used to hate going country :kick

Lucianite

It cold be the sample of st Lucian's you all hear speaking are not fluent like me ok well I really don't speak patois well at all....

I can't vouch for real patois speakers. One would have to hear them to make a true assessment

Regardless if English is mixed in, so what ? Is there a point or competition to speak patois certain way ? Language is fluent and varies by country, and even within countries....

I did not grow up speaking patois at home or with friends except for certain words but I picked up from the street or classmates from certain towns where patois is more prevalent......

Klang

Real Patriot
:kicks, just have to laugh oui... how can lucians even speak more or better creole than domincans when we are in between gwada and martinique? also lucia's carnival use to be in february but it changed, ours is still in february....if you dont belive zouk has origins in dominica go and talk to kassav...and our people arent descendants of martinicans and guadeloupeans also?

Klang

Real Patriot
even i knew that.. their music was even fused into some soca and i was asking y not they experiment with it a little more in one thread cause it actuallly sounded good.. that could be a start to their own ID in music
that music is nothing more than mento music, it uses all the same english instruments violin, banjo etc and is played the same way. they dont use accordion in their music like us.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UCnsFf26vGM?list=PL920FF3CB2748AE61" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bqVW9Sx31-M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

in a next thread i already explained this

Klang

Real Patriot
anyways humble one let the music talk, post me 5 zouk songs in creole, just 5 zouk songs from your island....good luck :kicks

Klang

Real Patriot

that information is wrong, zouk was created in guadeloupe with guadeloupean and dominican musicans. martinique jumped in after. if you dont believe here is a member of les vikings speaking on the topic...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ruA5jYQSeaw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maruka

Qualified Mixologist
that music is nothing more than mento music, it uses all the same english instruments violin, banjo etc and is played the same way. they dont use accordion in their music like us.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UCnsFf26vGM?list=PL920FF3CB2748AE61" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bqVW9Sx31-M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lol the 1st song sounds like they saying boga and over again over :kicks

well i didnt know that bruh.. i actually thought that was their own folk music found only there.. where is the thread? regardless the spin they did with it in soca sounds good.. i still think they have something there.. they need to jump on it b4 somone else does and call it something else

Maruka

Qualified Mixologist

whoa buddy hold on there.. Wikipedia is not the judge.. Dominica has a key hand in there if you know the history of french west indian music.. kassav incorporated gwo ka into the cadence to help create zouk. gwo ka gwada folk music into cadencelypso from dominica and haiti. Dominica had a key hand in the development. so in the development of zouk its Haiti/Dominica/Gwada and Martinique that all had a hand in developing the sound

Klang

Real Patriot
lol the 1st song sounds like they saying boga and over again over :kicks

well i didnt know that bruh.. i actually thought that was their own folk music found only there.. where is the thread? regardless the spin they did with it in soca sounds good.. i still think they have something there.. they need to jump on it b4 somone else does and call it something else
taken from another thread...

all music is unique to dominica and i dont care if other people use our music, however take a page from the french and give credit where its due. everybody may have their own folk music, but some are more unique than others, ya'll need to accept that. some nations are more musically inclined than others based off of their culture and history, just like how some nations more economically inclined etc. its impossible for every island to be on the same level when it come to every thing including music. i asked you for your national folk music you aint answer me yet. dominica has a more unique music because our culture is more unique. like i said we in between two french islands its not a coincidence, we have the kaliangos, etc we had all the tools for groundbreaking music. this all played apart in making us a musical powerhouse. its not anybody fault, its just the way our country was developed over time. its reflected in our culture and music. yes lapokwabwet the style we play is unique and indigenous to dominica, whats so hard to believe about that? and the instrument i fink u talking about is called a boom boom

anyways more st lucian folk music so you can hear, just like mento music, no accordion. this is the sound of the anglo west indies

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tqhfc4s3O1k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and from grenada, the same style

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I9f2rFc5kaw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

compare to our folk music

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7g_ruzfW0yQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

quite different

lucias music is the same as the other anglo west indies, like i said before dont let the language fool ppl into overhyping the creoleness

Maruka

Qualified Mixologist
you don't know anything St.Lucia;s carnival was in FEBRAURY but it changed to accommodate less competition and allow more tourists to the beautiful shores of St.Lucia. Like many St.Lucians our direct descendants are Martiniquans so go an educate yourself as you sound very stupid
correct me if im wrong but wasn't slu carnival just as ours? it moved with lent? so sometimes it would be in march? not just feb?

dollbabi

Earth Angel

Does that say that it is jwe music?

Klang

Real Patriot
Does that say that it is jwe music?
of course not most lucians themself do not even know about jwe music, they would never label it as such...but that is the sound of st lucian music, and the other other anglophone islands folk music.