St. Lucia Zouks Should change their name

dollbabi

Earth Angel
of course not most lucians themself do not even know about jwe music, they would never label it as such...but that is the sound of st lucian music, and the other other anglophone islands folk music.
That doesnt change the fact that their original folk music is jwe. Which so-called anglophone islands? Because a number of the islands are a mixture of Anglo, Franco and/or Hispano traditions. Grenada itself has French cultural heritage...

Maruka

Qualified Mixologist
i cant find the post with the soca tune mix with the slu folk music.. someone post it up here.. i'm telling y'all they on to sumn with that fusion. just need to play with it more

Klang

Real Patriot
That doesnt change the fact that their original folk music is jwe. Which so-called anglophone islands? Because a number of the islands are a mixture of Anglo, Franco and/or Hispano traditions. Grenada itself has French cultural heritage...
not denyin jwe music is lucian, just saying that this style is not unique to their island and they share it with multiple islands. different name, but we can see lucia, grenada st vincent, etc all share similar if not same folk music. once we hit martinique dominica, guadeloupe the music changes. after guadeloupe from antigua up st kitts etc the same musical trend continues as with lucia, grenada, vincy etc. i already explained you will never hear a traditional song from lucia or any of the other anglophone islands with accordion, boom boom, etc.

Klang

Real Patriot
i cant find the post with the soca tune mix with the slu folk music.. someone post it up here.. i'm telling y'all they on to sumn with that fusion. just need to play with it more
what is real st lucian folk music?

dollbabi

Earth Angel
not denyin jwe music is lucian, just saying that this style is not unique to their island and they share it with multiple islands. different name, but we can see lucia, grenada st vincent, etc all share similar if not same folk music. once we hit martinique dominica, guadeloupe the music changes. from antigua st kitts etc the same musical trend continues as with lucia, grenada, vincy etc. i already explained you will never hear a traditional song from lucia or any of the other anglophone islands with accordion, boom boom, etc.
How do you know it is the same when you have not heard it?

Klang

Real Patriot
but back to the topic, for humble, post 5 zouk songs in creole from st lucia....still waiting, let de music talk

Maruka

Qualified Mixologist
what is real st lucian folk music?
honestly bruh.. i don't know their folk music like that.. it kinda does sound like what u posted in truth.. the one i heard one of em posted up deff had the violin in there.. he even gave a lil history on it.. and he posted other videos of their folk music.. i just took it as is.. i understand what u are saying thou.. i just need to hear more from their side to really hear if there is a different in the style of music to make it unique to their land. i remember when i thought bèlé was 100% Dominica as a kid till i took a trip to visit my family in gwada and sure enough they played bèlé too i think all 4 islands play it gwada dom marti and luci.. jing ping and lapoqabwit is uniquely ours for sure.. once slu post up their videos and audio we will know.

Klang

Real Patriot
honestly bruh.. i don't know their folk music like that.. it kinda does sound like what u posted in truth.. the one i heard one of em posted up deff had the violin in there.. he even gave a lil history on it.. and he posted other videos of their folk music.. i just took it as is.. i understand what u are saying thou.. i just need to hear more from their side to really hear if there is a different in the style of music to make it unique to their land. i remember when i thought bèlé was 100% Dominica as a kid till i took a trip to visit my family in gwada and sure enough they played bèlé too i think all 4 islands play it gwada dom marti and luci.. jing ping and lapoqabwit is uniquely ours for sure.. once slu post up their videos and audio we will know.
violin like this from jamaica?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bqVW9Sx31-M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bele and quadrille is shared among many islands, trinidad grenada and vincy i believe have it as well.

humble1

Swaggerific you come across very ignorant. First of all St.Lucia's carnival date changed, previously it was in Feb/March. Secondly St.Lucians are direct descendants of Martiniquans. Most of the places and a lot of the people names are French. Also creole is spoken more fluently in St.lucia than Dominica and that is a fact as St.lucians have a better command of the language or dialect as some people say. I always visit Dominica so I defo know what I am talking about but Dominicans do listen to a lot of creole/bouyon/zouk music. Dominicans should be praising the fact that they have indigenous Carib people and not going on about a colonial past that have damaged Caribbean people identity hence this discussion.

Klang

Real Patriot
Swaggerific you come across very ignorant. First of all St.Lucia's carnival date changed, previously it was in Feb/March. Secondly St.Lucians are direct descendants of Martiniquans. Most of the places and a lot of the people names are French. Also creole is spoken more fluently in St.lucia than Dominica and that is a fact as St.lucians have a better command of the language or dialect as some people say. I always visit Dominica so I defo know what I am talking about but Dominicans do listen to a lot of creole/bouyon/zouk music. Dominicans should be praising the fact that they have indigenous Carib people and not going on about a colonial past that have damaged Caribbean people identity hence this discussion.
smh. mwen ja mande ou pou pote 5 chanson la, pouchi ou pa pote li?

if st lucians were more fluent than dominicans in creole dont you think it would be reflected in our culture? why would we have more creole music than st lucia if we are less fluent? we are in between 2 creole islands, not 1 like all you. also for somebody who is always in dominica you should know that kalinago is the proper term for our people, not caribs. and yes ya'lls carnival date was in february, but ya'll changed it....if you speaking of creole culture, february/lent carnival time is one of the biggest parts of our culture as a catholic country, doubt dominicans would ever change that date...you talking out of your ass now garcon

Maruka

Qualified Mixologist
many Dominicans have french last names as well.. the reason we ( slu and dom) have french last names is not only because of gwada and marti.. it's because of the french slave masters and french people who resided on the islands.. many freed slaves took the last names of their masters or the plantations where they worked whoa buddy yuh fall asleep during social studis and history class.. or even life.. nuff ulysse.. st.jean..dubois..jean paul.. bridet..francois and so on in them places lol.. it's not because of marti and gwada.. Dom and Slu speak just as much patois

Klang

Real Patriot
many Dominicans have french last names as well.. the reason we ( slu and dom) have french last names is not only because of gwada and marti.. it's because of the french slave masters and french people who resided on the islands.. whoa buddy.. nuff ulysse.. st.jean..dubois..jean paul.. bridet..francois and so on in them places lol.. it's not because of marti and gwada.. Dom and Slu speak just as much patois
:kicks he say he been to dominica many times and he dont know that? de man only talking about martinique, he forget we have martinique and guadeloupe also. we in between them both, how on earth can lucia have more creole speakers than us?

humble1

you trinis would not care as much because trinidad have their name already. but for a lesser known island like ourself is different. lucia who has no link to the genre to claim it is unethical. poor decision and research by whoever responsible. but lets be honest, if a more popular island like jamaica started claiming soca, and especially claiming it on an official level like this, im sure many of you would have something to say...
You are very ignorant of St.Lucia's culture and history Klang etc.. I particularly don't like the name Zouks as it very lame but I dont't see what the whoo haha is all about. After all the French influenced many islands throughout the Caribbean and we are talking about colonialism where identity was stripped off. We are hailing zouk so much when it was influenced also by slave masters who degraded us. As Caribbean people in the year 2013 we need to come better than that and display more unity as a race.ENOUGH OF THE IGNORANCE

Klang

Real Patriot
You are very ignorant of St.Lucia's culture and history Klang etc.. I particularly don't like the name Zouks as it very lame but I dont't see what the whoo haha is all about. After all the French influenced many islands throughout the Caribbean and we are talking about colonialism where identity was stripped off. We are hailing zouk so much when it was influenced also by slave masters who degraded us. As Caribbean people in the year 2013 we need to come better than that and display more unity as a race.ENOUGH OF THE IGNORANCE
huh? wdf does zouk have to do with slave masters? and i am still waiting for 5 zouk songs from you

dollbabi

Earth Angel
No one is going to look through the pages and pages of your ranting. But I am sure that you are very well aware of what I am talking about. You make yourself look very silly spewing all this venom towards St. Lucia. Seems almost like a bit of jealousy...

Klang

Real Patriot
Education is the key to ignorance. Nuff said
:kicks you need to go eat a piece of humble pie in your motherass... wdf alle edike ou mem ti garcon... and you will see zouk is more foreign to st lucia than reggae is. i asked you to post 5 zouk songs, i know lucia has 10x more reggae artists than zouk artists. all your other countrymen admitted this was a poor name choice, get with the program