Survey says One in four Caribbean men is BiSexual

Maruka

Qualified Mixologist
August 15, 2012, St. John’s, Antigua–Almost one in four Caribbean men who took part in a recent study described themselves as bisexual.
The findings were among preliminary results in the regionwide Caribbean Men’s Internet Survey (CARIMIS).
“We have a fair population in the Caribbean that identify as bisexual. Across the entire sample … about 20 to 23 per cent say they are bisexual,” facilitator of the CARIMIS project and director of UNAIDS, Caribbean Regional Support Team, Ernest Massiah said.
The CARIMIS study is being touted as the “largest sample” of the Caribbean MSM (men who have sex with men) population of its kind, done via Internet—surveying 2,560 men throughout 33 territories in the region.
Massiah also revealed that 15 per cent of the men did not define themselves in any category. Although they engaged in sexual activity with other men, they “do not want a label”, he said.
According to the director, the most “shocking” aspect of the study involves the amount of physical and verbal abuse and visual intimidation levied against MSMs in their respective countries.
“What we are seeing across the region is that between five and 10 per cent of people have been assaulted because they were perceived to have a different sexual orientation,” Massiah said.
In some nations half of the MSM population identified with being verbally abused and visually intimidated.
“What we are seeing is that as a society, if you have a sexual orientation that is perceived as different, you can be physically abused and in a lot of cases you receive verbal abuse,” he said.
For the first time, the study identified a new population of men – the educated MSM man.
“We are getting a population that we have not been able to get data from before, that is men with secondary and tertiary level education. We have a very educated sample here,” the director said.
Previously, face-to-face surveys were the norm, but only accessed “certain members” of the MSM population. Massiah said that the use of the Internet and redefining their target populations was the key to the survey’s success.
“It is a good way of doing research because you can get to people in a much quicker way than you would have if you tried to do an interview with an individual person,” he added.
The study’s results will be given to governments of participating nations to help develop policies and initiatives that will protect and service the MSM community.
The UNAIDS-funded initiative was launched online last November and concluded in June.
The MSM population is defined by the survey not only as openly gay men but also men who do not self-identify as gay or bisexual but participate in sexual activities with other men. The survey is being implemented throughout the English, French, Spanish and Dutch speaking Caribbean countries.

RotiKing2004eva

propaganda.

It's more like 1 in a thousand imo.

Research shows that if you ask an american what percentage of people are gay, they are likely to say 25 %, based on what they see on TV.

Reality shows that it's more like 1/100 are actually gay.

TV and the Media just promotes this lifestyle because the media is controlled by gays.

I think this research is more of the same...propaganda and an agenda to promote that lifestyle.

P

Pebbles362436

Wow that's very high MSM (men who have sex with men). Men on the DL SMH that's one of the worst things a man can do to a woman's ego is play her with another man. Wth was that crazy movie with Janet. Women always got to keep looking for red flags and stop being in denial. If it walks like a duck and acts like a duck its a duck.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
Not really surprised at the finding, though it's probably a bit less than that. One in 7 or 8 sounds more like it. Who really knows though...

T

Toppa_Toppa

What disgustingly poor journalism.

The survey targeted those men who had sex with men (MSM) and of those respondents, 1 in 4 identified as bi-sexual.

That does not equal 1 in 4 Cbean men being bi-sexual.

Good lawd.

Inquistive

Yeah, that is bad journalism. However, statistically 1 out of 10 men are gay, so it wouldn't be outlandish to claim a quarter of them to be bisexual.

J

Juan Dan

"lots of fishes in the sea"
hahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhaahhahaah

simply means a lotta ladies are a fukkin battyman
and a lotta the women ghay also
sad

antiguad

This is an amazingly confusing article. In reality, one in four men WHO HAD ALREADY ADMITTED HAVING SEX WITH MEN claimed that they were bi-sexual. This was not a GENERAL survey, but only a survey conducted with MSM - men who have sex with men.

The problem is, now I see INTERNATIONAL PUBLICATIONS claiming that one out of four Caribbean men are bisexual.

RotiKing2004eva

This is an amazingly confusing article. In reality, one in four men WHO HAD ALREADY ADMITTED HAVING SEX WITH MEN claimed that they were bi-sexual. This was not a GENERAL survey, but only a survey conducted with MSM - men who have sex with men.

The problem is, now I see INTERNATIONAL PUBLICATIONS claiming that one out of four Caribbean men are bisexual.
Like I said, propaganda. They are now going to promote their morals onto the regions that have more christian values. They have already corrupted America, so now onto the Christian powerhouses of the Caribbean and Africa.

This is like taking a survey of my local church and asking how many are bisexual....(I'd figure there may be 1 in 1000 there or maybe none that are bisexual )...and then proclaiming there are no bisexuals in Florida.

It's pushing the agenda and silly. Take Labor Day in NY, my mind tells me half million men out there maybe about a thousand are gay, if that.

Take the same sample at the gay parade and I'd bet 800/1000 are bisexual or have chosen to have sex with both genders.

SKBai1991

Yeah, that is bad journalism. However, statistically 1 out of 10 men are gay, so it wouldn't be outlandish to claim a quarter of them to be bisexual.
Not really...male sexuality is pretty polarised, most men are either really gay or really straight, and there isn't much bisexuality in between.

Now if you said the same thing about women, you'd be making some sense.

B

Black Madonna

lol. men out there fukking donkeys and other men while in prison. men will fukk anything they have access to. oh gosh some people just need to stop being in denial. men are men

P

Pebbles362436

Boss ewww that is so freaking nasty.:feelsick Yuck oh geed!!!LOL

iPicong

if you have common sense and instincts and you look at the characters you are surrounded by when you attend Caribbean events then you should know the deviance in allyuh community.........look at the stuff posted on here if you need more proof