Texas Students Revolt Against Mandatory RFID Tracking Chips

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
I just came across this from a link of a link on a FB page I subscribe to. I havent read anything in-depth on this yet, so if anyone can provide more information and/or opinions that would be great. Is this as scary as it sounds or is this blog just hyping the sensationalism for its own agenda?

======================
Students and parents at two San Antonio schools are in revolt over a program that forces kids to wear RFID tracking name tags which are used to pinpoint their location on campus as well as outside school premises.

Students at John Jay High School and Anson Jones Middle School will be mandated to wear the tags from today which will be used to track them on campus as well as when they enter and leave school.
Andrea Hernandez is leading a group of students who refuse to wear the tags because in her words, “It makes me uncomfortable. It’s an invasion of my privacy,” she told KSN.com.
Hernandez is being backed by parents and privacy experts like Dr. Katherine Albrecht who point out that the spy chips are more about making money than keeping students safe, as the schools claim.
By reducing truancy and tardiness, the school stands to net $2 million dollars in state funding.
A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Hernandez points out that the system is all but useless because students will just leave their tag in their locker or hand it to a friend to avoid being monitored.
Parents and students have rallied to organize a protest against the spy chips which is set to take place today.
Hernandez also fears that the RFID chips could be used to track students outside of school, a valid concern given past examples of how such technology has been abused by school officials.
In 2010, the Lower Merion School District in Pennsylvania used school-issued laptops to spy on kids in their own home. The controversy ignited after student Blake Robbins was disciplined for “improper behavior in his home”. It turned out that school officials had installed software on the laptops that used the computer’s webcam to send images back to the school server every 15 seconds.
Hernandez also pointed out that sexual predators could use the tracking system to stalk children because the RFID tag continues to send a signal even after students have left school premises.
“With a smart phone you can use the option to use your locator but this I can’t turn it off,” Hernandez said.
As we reported earlier this week, similar programs where students are tracked both inside and outside school are already in operation across the country.
Children in nine Austin schools are being forced to carry around GPS tracking devices everywhere they go under the justification of preventing truancy. The kids are also assigned a “mentor” with whom they must check in several times a day.
Such a system is hardly much different from prisoners who are mandated to wear a GPS ankle bracelet and regularly check in with parole officers.
Indeed, treating schoolchildren like prisoners in anticipation for their introduction into outside world, a surveillance state in which they are also expected to acquiesce to an omnipresent big brother, is seemingly the ultimate goal of such programs.

DSP

Heri
Since the laptop story, I havn't read or heard anything about chips or tracking students. I guess that would get the younger generation used to being monitored. Start anything early enough and you form a pattern. I don't even like chips in animals, much less human beings.

BacchanalDiva

Since the laptop story, I havn't read or heard anything about chips or tracking students. I guess that would get the younger generation used to being monitored. Start anything early enough and you form a pattern. I don't even like chips in animals, much less human beings.
That's exactly what this sounds like..make it the norm and soon it won't even make news.

Steupz

Besides, plenty time the kids have more sense than adults.
Sense?
They are railing against their own protection and using specious, foolish arguments that a predator can track them.
Who would object to their children being monitored at school?
And you have this moron saying they can just remove it. Sure they can and then those monitoring will know and take action.

I don't get it. Children being properly and scientifically monitored is a good thing.

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
This program is severely flawed! I would understand if parents can turn it off when they get home. If parents had that type of control then it could be rationalized given the explanation, without those controls that seems like bullshit to mask an intrusion. Once they make it where the parents get a code or better yet their thumb print is what is used to control activation and deactivation as well as allowing parents the ability to share tracking data then I could back them.

Nica

SAINTSational
This program is severely flawed! I would understand if parents can turn it off when they get home. If parents had that type of control then it could be rationalized given the explanation, without those controls that seems like bullshit to mask an intrusion. Once they make it where the parents get a code or better yet their thumb print is what is used to control activation and deactivation as well as allowing parents the ability to share tracking data then I could back them.
I'm on the fence about this program... I think it would make more sense if parents were involved as Big Boss stated. It's all well and good that the kids are monitored for the safety, but we've all seen that abuse can come from teachers and and school administrators. So in order to maintain checks and balances, the parents should be involved and should definitely have access to the data, tracking process and activation/deactivation of the device.

Steupz

I didn't even consider the outside of the school monitoring because the report cited a past case but in the instant case they only said something like 'could be used'.

To me, this is perfect for school and school environs monitoring.

BacchanalDiva

Wow, besides all the other stuff stated, no one has a problem w/ the basic principle of children being treated like animals cause its scientific. I can see where this world is going.

Steupz

Wow, besides all the other stuff stated, no one has a problem w/ the basic principle of children being treated like animals cause its scientific. I can see where this world is going.
Weren't you in support of removing a man from a seat because 1 in ten million male passengers could be a paedophile or a sicko?

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
have nothing to do with treating like animals. If this can allow school officials to reasonably ensure that the children are where they should be during school hours (especially as a tool to fight truancy) then there is nothing wrong with it. Once a child leaves school however and lets say have to meet mommy at the mall and they happen to get home late for any reason, that shouldn't be information for anyone to have and potentially use against child or parent. How are they being treated like animals? Isn't herding them into one location to eat lunch treating them like cattle?

Nica uz ah nexx one who stingy wid de likes aought?!! :mda:

DSP

Heri
I do not agree with having people wearing tags in order to monitor them.
I agree, looking at a bigger picture, I feel it desensitizes younger generations to issues of privacy and normalizes a big brother culture. I doubt it will improve grades or behavior.

BacchanalDiva

Weren't you in support of removing a man from a seat because 1 in ten million male passengers could be a paedophile or a sicko?
What does that have to do w/ tagging kids like animals and teaching them that they don't have a right to privacy to begin with even if they've done nothing to lose it?

BacchanalDiva

have nothing to do with treating like animals. If this can allow school officials to reasonably ensure that the children are where they should be during school hours (especially as a tool to fight truancy) then there is nothing wrong with it. Once a child leaves school however and lets say have to meet mommy at the mall and they happen to get home late for any reason, that shouldn't be information for anyone to have and potentially use against child or parent. How are they being treated like animals? Isn't herding them into one location to eat lunch treating them like cattle?

Nica uz ah nexx one who stingy wid de likes aought?!! :mda:
What happen to personal responsibility? So its "we expect you to do wrong so we'll just keep you under surveillance"? Not a good lesson to teach kids that are at an age when they're supposed to be learning to independently make the right decisions. and you're reaching..being given an area to eat, just like the dining room in an office building is not treating them like animals.

Poca

you really think that it's a good thing to tag kids for school administrators to be able to know their whereabouts? Would you let a school tag you kids like a vulgar animal?

Students and rights? Joke!
These fools need to grow up and use the tag.