Texas Students Revolt Against Mandatory RFID Tracking Chips

Steupz

What does that have to do w/ tagging kids like animals and teaching them that they don't have a right to privacy to begin with even if they've done nothing to lose it?
You're right, it has nothing to do with tagging kids like animals... that's how you see it.

It has everything to do with consistency of thought. By agreeing to that (removing the passenger from his seat) you're saying:
  • The protection of the child is of paramount importance and
  • Rights only have value until applying those rights breach or threaten the security of a child.
  • Policy matters.

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
What happen to personal responsibility? So its "we expect you to do wrong so we'll just keep you under surveillance"? Not a good lesson to teach kids that are at an age when they're supposed to be learning to independently make the right decisions. and you're reaching..being given an area to eat, just like the dining room in an office building is not treating them like animals.
My answers are predicated on the belief that to want to take such a measure means truancy is a serious problem for them. Sorry but when certain issues arise you need to be aggressive as well as creative. If it is indeed as I suspect then I am absolutely fine with a revised version of this idea that resembles what I outlined in previous posts. It's nothing to do with treating anyon like anything but simply support for a measure that can stem a problem. When I was in high school my HS got metal detectors and we were all outraged as fack. As an adult I am simply glad that I missed the worse years ov violent behavior there as I might have ended up a casualty of such. So that same measure we were all against and echoing similar sentiment about being treated like animals and like we are all bad quite possibly saved us from ourselves.

We living in a digital age and as such new measures are likely to incluse usage of modern technology. Not all new implementations are bad and need to be analyzed from such negative perspectives. As long as the powers that be are flexible enough to understand public concerns and can refine their ideas so that the benefits do not infringe upon people's liberties I am good with it. Don't see how my comparison is a reach when in many high schools you have 100 or more children having lunch the same period and enclosed in the same space. Wey you wukkin dat ting like dat does go dong?!!

BacchanalDiva

You're right, it has nothing to do with tagging kids like animals... that's how you see it.

It has everything to do with consistency of thought. By agreeing to that (removing the passenger from his seat) you're saying:
  • The protection of the child is of paramount importance and
  • Rights only have value until applying those rights breach or threaten the security of a child.
  • Policy matters.
That ^ would mean something if I actually believed that the tagging would protect the child...I don't. I believe the intention to be preventing delinquency and truancy; in which case i say reserve it for kids that have already exhibited those behaviors and then with the permission of the parents.

DSP

Heri
the objective should be changing the structure of schools and how students learn in a way that will make ALL of them want to go to school.

Microchips are about as lazy an idea as layoff workers to improve profits as opposed to researching better ways to improve efficiency and productivity for profits.

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
That ^ would mean something if I actually believed that the tagging would protect the child...I don't. I believe the intention to be preventing delinquency and truancy; in which case i say reserve it for kids that have already exhibited those behaviors and then with the permission of the parents.
reactive approach?!! Better to be proactive and stem it as much as possible. What you think only the ones who doing it will always do it? Get real with that eh.

BacchanalDiva

My answers are predicated on the belief that to want to take such a measure means truancy is a serious problem for them. Sorry but when certain issues arise you need to be aggressive as well as creative. If it is indeed as I suspect then I am absolutely fine with a revised version of this idea that resembles what I outlined in previous posts. It's nothing to do with treating anyon like anything but simply support for a measure that can stem a problem. When I was in high school my HS got metal detectors and we were all outraged as fack. As an adult I am simply glad that I missed the worse years ov violent behavior there as I might have ended up a casualty of such. So that same measure we were all against and echoing similar sentiment about being treated like animals and like we are all bad quite possibly saved us from ourselves.

We living in a digital age and as such new measures are likely to incluse usage of modern technology. Not all new implementations are bad and need to be analyzed from such negative perspectives. As long as the powers that be are flexible enough to understand public concerns and can refine their ideas so that the benefits do not infringe upon people's liberties I am good with it. Don't see how my comparison is a reach when in many high schools you have 100 or more children having lunch the same period and enclosed in the same space. Wey you wukkin dat ting like dat does go dong?!!
Ok, I get what you're saying but still have issue with setting a precedent where its mandatory to give up all privacy, all personal space to solve any problem. Like I told Steupse, if it were a case by case basis..like say you had a child who has been a problem already..and this was proposed to the parents as an intervention; that would be a different story. But everyone having to give up all personal privacy across the board does not sit well with me at all. And i guess a parent's only recourse would be to remove the child from the school? What happens when this kind of stuff is used outside of schools? For the general public?

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
the objective should be changing the structure of schools and how students learn in a way that will make them want to go to school.

Microchips are about as lazy an idea as layoff workers to improve profits as opposed to researching better ways to improve efficiency and productivity for profits.
Ahhhh so if 15% cutting we need to overhaul things so that they will then want to come to school?! Interesting and quite bizzare approach.

Steupz

I wondering now what kinda child you were at that age?
You're acting like this thing can take pictures of your daughter peeing. The reality is this thing can be like today's version of minority report.

I quite like the idea of my child being monitored and I want them to go even further, I want them to add a distress button or a voice code when in need of help.

Just imagine your child in the bathroom being bullied or having a heart-attack and all she needs to do is activate something on her or say some code word, for help.

BacchanalDiva

the objective should be changing the structure of schools and how students learn in a way that will make all of them want to go to school.

microchips are about as lazy an idea as layoff workers to improve profits as opposed to researching better ways to improve efficiency and productivity for profits.
preach!!!

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
Ok, I get what you're saying but still have issue with setting a precedent where its mandatory to give up all privacy, all personal space to solve any problem. Like I told Steupse, if it were a case by case basis..like say you had a child who has been a problem already..and this was proposed to the parents as an intervention; that would be a different story. But everyone having to give up all personal privacy across the board does not sit well with me at all. And i guess a parent's only recourse would be to remove the child from the school? What happens when this kind of stuff is used outside of schools? For the general public?
Well as it is currently outlined I too have a problem with it since it can't be turned off. But if parents get to activate it as you leaving the house and get to deactivate it upon pick up or arrival then what privacy are they infringing on. You are supposed to be in school and they are making sure you are there. What reasonable level of privacy did you expect while on school premises apart from being in the restroom or showers if you were an athlete? That technology while seeming intrusive will save quite a few from false accusations in the future, just you wait.

BacchanalDiva

I wondering now what kinda child you were at that age?
You're acting like this thing can take pictures of your daughter peeing. The reality is this thing can be like today's version of minority report.

I quite like the idea of my child being monitored and I want them to go even further, I want them to add a distress button or a voice code when in need of help.

Just imagine your child in the bathroom being bullied or having a heart-attack and all she needs to do is activate something on her or say some code word, for help.
Must admit I really, really like those ideas. But again, needs to be something I and my child decide on, not something forced on us by the school cause they think my child might do something bad. I have a son that turn 20 today and never cut school in his life and never been in any sort of trouble...i would have taken serious issue with high school admins wanting to "monitor" him. I just ask him and my nephew (19) what they think and they both say "depends on the color of the tag they have to carry, otherwise they wouldn't have a problem with it" -I cuss them and call them mindless sheep.

T

Toppa_Toppa

Must admit I really, really like those ideas. But again, needs to be something I and my child decide on, not something forced on us by the school cause they think my child might do something bad. I have a son that turn 20 today and never cut school in his life and never been in any sort of trouble...i would have taken serious issue with high school admins wanting to "monitor" him. I just ask him and my nephew (19) what they think and they both say "depends on the color of the tag they have to carry, otherwise they wouldn't have a problem with it" -I cuss them and call them mindless sheep.
Yuh sure? :) I sure he at least ducked a few classes.

T

Toppa_Toppa

Nope perfect attendance, unless he got someone to sign in for him or something...in that case i doh wanna know..leave me in mih blissful ignorance :kicks
Ok.

I forgot the US schools had those automated things where they call home if you missed just one class in the day. I had to intercept quite a few of those calls for the one semester I attended a US HS.

BacchanalDiva

Ok.

I forgot the US schools had those automated things where they call home if you missed just one class in the day. I had to intercept quite a few of those calls for the one semester I attended a US HS.
Or really? What yuh was doing when yuh wasn't in class?