Thanksgiving or Thankskilling?

NATION777

Banned
How many of yall are aware of what thanksgiving truly represents?

Depending on what websites you read (and we at Politix read 'em all) you'll get very different perspectives on the origin of this uniquely America holiday.

Here are some of the most widely-shared perspectives:

"Happy National Genocide (Thanksgiving) Day!" from the Huffington Post:

Thanksgiving day should be known as National Land Theft and American Genocide Day...In 1637 the body of a white man was discovered dead in a boat. Armed settlers - which we tell our children were God fearing, gentle, sharing, kind Pilgrims - invaded a Pequot village. They also set the village, which included many children, on fire. Those who were lucky enough to escape the fire were systematically sought, hunted down and killed. While many, including historians, still debate what exactly happened this day, also known as the Pequot Massacre, it directly led to the creation of "Thanksgiving Day." This is what the governor of Bay Colony had to say days after the massacre, "A day of thanksgiving. Thanking God that they had eliminated over 700 men, women and children."

[This article's claim that the Pequot Massacre of 1637 inspired an early Thanksgiving seems to be unfounded. The article states that Governor Winthrop proclaimed a day of Thanksgiving for the "elimination" of 700 Pequot Indians. This claim is widely circulated online, but I haven't been able to trace it to any reliable source. ]

"Thanksgiving: Celebrating the Bedrock of American Exceptionalism and Prosperity" from Breitbart.com:

As difficult as life began in their new home, not a single Pilgrim settler chose to go back to England with the Mayflower crew. They were committed to their new home and wrote the "Mayflower Compact" that would set up rules for the new society and carve out the liberties due to every new citizen. The Pilgrims, like many immigrants to America after them, saw the potential for freedom and abundance in the New World, and whatever its flaws they knew that it was a land of almost unlimited opportunity. So when their unrelenting toil and suffering ceased, the profoundly religious Pilgrims set aside a day of thanksgiving to mark a triumph over the profound challenges they faced, to give thanks to God that they had survived and prospered, and to celebrate a brighter future.

"Thankful for Property" from Townhall:

Had today's politicians and opinion-makers been in power four centuries ago, Americans might celebrate "Starvation Day" this week, not Thanksgiving. The Pilgrims started out with communal property rules. When they first settled at Plymouth, they were told: "Share everything, share the work, and we'll share the harvest." ...They nearly starved and created what economists call the "tragedy of the commons."

...But then, after the colony's governor, William Bradford, wrote that they should "set corn every man for his own particular," they dropped the commons idea. He assigned to every family a parcel of land to treat as its own. The results were dramatic. Much more corn was planted. Instead of famine, there was plenty. Thanks to private property, they got food - and thanks to it, we have food today.

So there you have it. Thanksgiving started as a) a native American genocide, b) a testament to the colonists' brave and resilient spirit, or c) proof that communism always fails.

Happy Turkey Day!

The Origins of Thanksgiving: American Values or Genocide?

J

Juan Dan

I dont like your subject matter...
yet PLEASE make lots more threads....
thanks

dont mind me I am proving a point to dragon and his battysheep

Collie4Nyah

Ganjalero
How many of yall are aware of what thanksgiving truly represents?

Depending on what websites you read (and we at Politix read 'em all) you'll get very different perspectives on the origin of this uniquely America holiday.

Here are some of the most widely-shared perspectives:

"Happy National Genocide (Thanksgiving) Day!" from the Huffington Post:

Thanksgiving day should be known as National Land Theft and American Genocide Day...In 1637 the body of a white man was discovered dead in a boat. Armed settlers - which we tell our children were God fearing, gentle, sharing, kind Pilgrims - invaded a Pequot village. They also set the village, which included many children, on fire. Those who were lucky enough to escape the fire were systematically sought, hunted down and killed. While many, including historians, still debate what exactly happened this day, also known as the Pequot Massacre, it directly led to the creation of "Thanksgiving Day." This is what the governor of Bay Colony had to say days after the massacre, "A day of thanksgiving. Thanking God that they had eliminated over 700 men, women and children."

[This article's claim that the Pequot Massacre of 1637 inspired an early Thanksgiving seems to be unfounded. The article states that Governor Winthrop proclaimed a day of Thanksgiving for the "elimination" of 700 Pequot Indians. This claim is widely circulated online, but I haven't been able to trace it to any reliable source. ]

"Thanksgiving: Celebrating the Bedrock of American Exceptionalism and Prosperity" from Breitbart.com:

As difficult as life began in their new home, not a single Pilgrim settler chose to go back to England with the Mayflower crew. They were committed to their new home and wrote the "Mayflower Compact" that would set up rules for the new society and carve out the liberties due to every new citizen. The Pilgrims, like many immigrants to America after them, saw the potential for freedom and abundance in the New World, and whatever its flaws they knew that it was a land of almost unlimited opportunity. So when their unrelenting toil and suffering ceased, the profoundly religious Pilgrims set aside a day of thanksgiving to mark a triumph over the profound challenges they faced, to give thanks to God that they had survived and prospered, and to celebrate a brighter future.

"Thankful for Property" from Townhall:

Had today's politicians and opinion-makers been in power four centuries ago, Americans might celebrate "Starvation Day" this week, not Thanksgiving. The Pilgrims started out with communal property rules. When they first settled at Plymouth, they were told: "Share everything, share the work, and we'll share the harvest." ...They nearly starved and created what economists call the "tragedy of the commons."

...But then, after the colony's governor, William Bradford, wrote that they should "set corn every man for his own particular," they dropped the commons idea. He assigned to every family a parcel of land to treat as its own. The results were dramatic. Much more corn was planted. Instead of famine, there was plenty. Thanks to private property, they got food - and thanks to it, we have food today.

So there you have it. Thanksgiving started as a) a native American genocide, b) a testament to the colonists' brave and resilient spirit, or c) proof that communism always fails.

Happy Turkey Day!

The Origins of Thanksgiving: American Values or Genocide?
A lot of Native People I know refer to it as "turkey day" or "thanks taken" but never thanksgiving....

Give thanks everyday still.

Oneshot

where de crix
hey man.. most holidays a filled with contradictions, celebrate christmas by consumption, celebrate slave owners, even though i know truth i cant make a fuss out of it, i still chase the money with dead white men on it.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Tommy Sotomayors Sobering Thanksgiving Day Message! Share With Everyone!
<iframe width="650" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mx6AXGlnS6s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dear White Folks, You Do Not Own Me!! P.S. FACEBOOK TOO!!!
<iframe width="650" height="400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KBQAsj8ji7I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
Everybody knows this. I know some people who don't celebrate. No reason for me not to nyam and Thank God for what He has done for me.