The Embarassment called Power Soca!

dedetriniking

Just got in the house and checked out a couple of performers in this power soca business.

Trinidad...stop this nonsense please!

This is not Trinidad Culture and legacy of music.

Go back to one soca competition and watch this stupidity dissappear.

Ljohnb00

Just got in the house and checked out a couple of performers in this power soca business.

Trinidad...stop this nonsense please!

This is not Trinidad Culture and legacy of music.

Go back to one soca competition and watch this stupidity dissappear.
Agree with you this is one of the worst power soca performance I have seen in Trinidad

notorious saga

Sagattarius
If it eh a SM cheating thread or small island need to boycott SM thread is something else, every year it never ever fails. Yuh might need to make one for if Iwer doh win nutten - just like last couple years.

Santiwah

Santiwah
If it eh a SM cheating thread or small island need to boycott SM thread is something else, every year it never ever fails. Yuh might need to make one for if Iwer doh win nutten - just like last couple years.
Listen I watched the show... most of the singers were not good.
In the Groovy (where so much was expected but did not live up to the hype) I had Kerwin as winner, Destra in second place and Machel third...

In the power segment I thought Killa shot himself in the leg... he went away from the song with too much extra stuff... I had Machel winning with Mr. Killa second and Destra third.

Let's be honest... the show (in terms of performances) was a disappointment and the Groovy category had the most dissapointment...

Those singers gave Machel the Power title... Iwer did not deserve to be in any tie.

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
In the Groovy (where so much was expected but did not live up to the hype) I had Kerwin as winner, Destra in second place and Machel third...

In the power segment I thought Killa shot himself in the leg... he went away from the song with too much extra stuff... I had Machel winning with Mr. Killa second and Destra third.

Let's be honest... the show (in terms of performances) was a disappointment and the Groovy category had the most dissapointment...

Those singers gave Machel the Power title... Iwer did not deserve to be in any tie.
^^Hush yuh mout n just like everyting!

#Sarcasm

notorious saga

Sagattarius

Was this the first year soca monarch was no good? people moaning and groaning online like they didn't know what to expect, how many years now it's been said SM was/is on the decline? I see people bitching and whineing all over the net like they never saw all the controversy before. on FB and Twitter people crying bout paying for PPV for a show that sucks, if you dash way yuh money after years and years of complaints about SM then you didn't do your home work and deserve a failing grade.

People ketching gripe because the police lock down the soca monarch and lights out with no results, where have they been all the other SM shows? was this the first year SM was lock down with no results until couple hours after? year after year people come with the same thing over and over again and then complain like they were expecting god to come down from the skies, if you pay your money last year and went SM and did the same thing this year you should not be complaining, you know this is a show and not a competition even though it's made to look like one, if you PPV online but seen past shows you deserve to get you money snatch way.

What I got from the show was, Machel was set to win this thing - Machel on the other hand looked like he wanted out and was willing to sabotage his performance so someone else could take the title. MM always put on an electrifying performance why the lack of props, stars and fireworks this year? the 3 way tie thing is bullshit, if anything it should of been a tie between Killa and Machel or Killa 1st with Machel 2nd. year after year we talk about this and people act like this thing brand new same threads different year. SM been on a downward spiral how long now?

dedetriniking

I don't know how on earth they expect to impress non-caribbean people with the garbage...shouting and silly antics that i saw there last night....and you're right this thing has been on the decline for several years now.

On top of that they paying out 2mil for that garbage. Arse backwards.

Go back to one competition and if it survives so be it but i am so very happy that i didn't pay for that feed and that i actually went out and did something else with my time on a Friday night.

From all that i'm hearing apparently the grenadian fella should have won.

power soca in the trinidad context is on the deathbed and why are you all angry? you all asked for this!

everyone was saying pay attention to groovy and more slow music, the artists are not putting energy into those bangarang jump and wave songs of the past...that nonsense bangarang moved north

Soca Monarch need to tighten up the show, and only choose the BEST of the best

like why 5 star Akil, Benjai and a couple other people was not there? why Patrice was in power? why is Lyrikal in power with that song?

there was years of power being the prime category now the thing turned around

why the hell is Tallpree doing the same thing every year?

the show need to flow effortlessly and this was one of the worse but i could have sensed that since the lineup was OFF

Bunji and Fayann is needed back and i feel like since MM came back to Soca Monarch and since the UNC came into power, it went down but most things is caribbean culture going down so this is just a pattern.

BFFan

Machel Montano winning performance
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/l5qgF_7f7gQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What were the results anyway? Was there a tie again? And I notice the crowd reaction for a winning performance isn't what it use to be compared to those in the past.

dedetriniking

Just seeing this for the first time.....and love it...love it .....love it. Been back this horse for years now. He should have won last year as well.

No long talk...just sing the blasted song and drop in a verse of picong against the rival. Nice!

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bKg6_ViKRKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Contrary to most of you guys I enjoyed the ISM show probably because I knew what to expect from the various performers.

Regards the results I would have given Machel the title in both the Groovy and the Power categories as he clearly won both category by miles. However it is also clear to me that Machel did not even put out his best possible performances last night and just did enough to win both categories as he had the advantage of being last in the line-up and seeing what everyone else came with and so knew exactly how much he needed to do to take both titles.

I believe at this stage Machel wants to opt out of the ISM competition to concentrate on the International music market but is obligated to come back and defend his crown once he keeps winning. However I am glad that Kerwin finally won a Groovy title based on his consistency over the last 3 to 4 years in that category.
Bunji and Fay-Ann probably did the right thing by opting out of the ISM competition for the last 3 years to concentrate on simply bringing good music and we are now seeing the results of that endeavour.

The problem with the ISM Power Soca competition is that the Power Soca category encourages the production of seasonal Carnival focused music whilst the Groovy category encourages music that can be appreciated by folks all year long and most of the Trini soca artists now realize this so are not that bothered about producing too many songs geared towards the Power Soca competition.

I have a Power Soca thread with over 100 Power songs released for 2014 (http://www.islandmix.com/backchat/f16/hot-new-t-t-2013-2014-power-soca-releases-261525/#post4448739) and what I have noticed from the 4 to 5 most popular T&T radio stations that I have been listening to almost daily since December 2013 is that they haven't been playing 90% of these Power tunes despite many of them being as good as any of the songs that made the Power Soca Monarch Semis & Final and the T&T public having almost 2 months since these songs came out to get familiar with them IF they were being regularly played on the radio stations.

So my conclusion for the Power Soca category going downhill in terms of crowd reaction and artists performance which is linked is that most of the Power songs have not been getting their due radio airplay and hence the very best Power soca songs overall have not been making it into the Power final.
For example why were Swappi, Kurt Allen or Ronnie McIntosh's Power soca songs not in the Finals this year despite all of them being out since January and Kurt Allen's Power song being out since early December?
The problem we have in T&T is that the radio stations are still not playing all the music being released even when it is of good quality unless you are part of the selected 20 or so soca artists whose music the radio stations decide to push.

This problem will continue until such time as the radio stations in T&T start playing more local music after carnival as it is physically impossible for the radio stations to play about 1000 news releases in the relatively short carnival Season window of 1 to 2 months.

Soca artists also need to get more diverse with their topics and to start singing a much higher percentage of non-carnival topics that anyone anywhere can relate to.

The root of the problem that is being reflected in the Soca Monarch competition goes back to the T&T radio stations in general and their mafia system of mainly pushing the music of a selected 20 or so artists in the Carnival seasonal while everything else regardless of the quality gets sidelined.
Until we can ALL breakaway from this seasonal Carnival focused soca mentality this problem will continue regardless of how much new music is released.
This year over a 1000 new songs were released for the T&T Carnival season and I estimate that only about 200 of them got regular radio airplay. The balance of them can probably be re-released again for T&T carnival 2015 and the general public would not even know that they were old songs from 2014.

If however most of these other songs were based on non-Carnival topics that can be appreciated by anyone all year long then the radio stations will have no excuses that can hold water to not play these 800 plus tunes that were not given much airplay (during the carnival season) after carnival for the remaining 8 to 10 months of the year.

This is why one of my favourite tunes this year is Mr Famous "Play More Local" as he clearly tells everyone what the solution to the ongoing problem with Soca music is and whether or not Bunji Garlin or another soca artist wins another Soul Train Award for 2014 that will not solve this problem as this problem can only be solved by a change of mentality towards soca music by both the soca artists and the radio stations in T&T and also in every other soca producing island for that matter.

TRINILI0N

Move Quick...Doh Stick
Contrary to most of you guys I enjoyed the ISM show probably because I knew what to expect from the various performers.

Regards the results I would have given Machel the title in both the Groovy and the Power categories as he clearly won both category by miles. However it is also clear to me that Machel did not even put out his best possible performances last night and just did enough to win both categories as he had the advantage of being last in the line-up and seeing what everyone else came with and so knew exactly how much he needed to do to take both titles.

I believe at this stage Machel wants to opt out of the ISM competition to concentrate on the International music market but is obligated to come back and defend his crown once he keeps winning. However I am glad that Kerwin finally won a Groovy title based on his consistency over the last 3 to 4 years in that category.
Bunji and Fay-Ann probably did the right thing by opting out of the ISM competition for the last 3 years to concentrate on simply bringing good music and we are now seeing the results of that endeavour.

The problem with the ISM Power Soca competition is that the Power Soca category encourages the production of seasonal Carnival focused music whilst the Groovy category encourages music that can be appreciated by folks all year long and most of the Trini soca artists now release this so are not that bothered about producing too many songs geared towards the Power Soca competition.

I have a Power Soca thread with over 100 Power songs released for 2014 (http://www.islandmix.com/backchat/f16/hot-new-t-t-2013-2014-power-soca-releases-261525/#post4448739) and what I have noticed from the 4 to 5 most popular T&T radio stations that I have been listening too almost daily since December 2013 is that they haven't been playing 90% of these Power tunes despite many of them being as good as any of the songs that made the Power Soca Monarch Semis & Final and the T&T public having almost 2 months since these songs came out to get familiar with them IF they were being regularly played on the radio stations.

So my conclusion for the Power Soca category going downhill in terms of crowd reaction and artists performance which is linked is that most of the Power songs have not been getting their due radio air play and hence the very best Power soca songs overall have not been making it into the Power final.
For example why were Swappi, Kurt Allen or Ronnie McIntosh's Power soca songs not in the Finals this year despite of them being out since January and Kurt Allen's being out since early December?
The problem we have in T&T is that the radio stations are still not playing all the music being released even when it is of good quality unless you are part of the selected 20 or so soca artists whose music the radio stations decide to push.

This problem will continue until such time as the radio stations in T&T start playing more local music after carnival as it is physically impossible for the radio stations to play about 1000 news releases in the relatively short carnival Season window of 1 to 2 months.

Soca artists also need to get more diverse with their topics and to start singing on a much higher percentage of non-carnival topics that anyone anywhere can relate to.

The root of the problem that is being reflected in the Soca Monarch competition goes back to the T&T radio stations in general and their mafia system of mainly pushing the music of a selected 20 or so artists in the Carnival seasonal while everything else regardless of the quality gets sidelined.
De crowd is what does get de Artist hype. I could tell Machel wasnt in a vybz. I NEVER saw a crowd so calm while I watch a Machel performance. I couldnt believe it. Like all de fettaz get push to de back .. hmm .. Anslem said in that song from the Classic 60s riddim ... De soca culture aint being pushed for the love of it anymore. Shyt is only going to get worse ... cant believe Skinny aint rank 2 ... oh well ... glad I didnt pay to see it.

BFFan

Maybe 2 separate competitions, the groovy stays at the current venue. Maybe take the power soca down south to skinner park... just a suggestion.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
insiteful thoughts Pro!
Because I genuinely care about soca music and understand its real potential I am not one of the people who gets easily bamboozled by the annual backward seasonal Carnival approached to soca music by the majority that has been holding it back since it got stereotyped as just seasonal carnival party music in the late 70's.

The reason why Shorty and Maestro introduced soca was twofold as it was both to modernise the music as well as make it more appealing to a wider non-carnival audience all year round rather than just for the short carnival season. As a man thinkeths so he becomes and this is exactly what has handicapped the global potential of soca music since its introduction my Shorty in the early 70's. Shorty rejected the seasonal carnival approach to soca music and walked away from the seasonal carnival industry which tells you everything you need to know about his original intentions for soca music not being understood and followed by the majority of so-called soca artists and the radio stations.

Mrs. Campbell

Girl Crush
from what i understand the time dont start until the singer starts to talk/sing... the time skit doesnt cut into their time
That makes it worse. Some of them don't know when to cut the skit crap short, get rid of it completely. Have your lil 2 minute intro and start d ting.