The Greens must be destroyed!!!!!

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
Another article by my friend about the Demise of carnival

'The Greens'must be destroyed
By Rubadiri Victor

Story Created: Jan 31, 2013 at 10:00 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Feb 1, 2013 at 6:37 AM ECT )

The Greens must be destroyed. I'm clear of it. This is despite the fact that I spent most of Sunday there—so I know of what I speak.

It was carnal. Completely. And I needed that—but that was all it ever was and ever will be. It was also empty, devoid of "Spirit"—people wandered around lost, posing, waiting for something to happen that never did. This is what happens when you detach a people from the ritual that sustains them. In the absence of culture, they need substances—alcohol and gimmicks—to bring them to something resembling liberation. The death of Carnival is in that impulse. This is the same culture that overtook European "carnivals" from the 1300s, resulting in their death. When Carnival becomes a drunken orgy, it can be competed against by any distraction. Nothing, however, can compete against ritual and belief. Our question then: how do we make those-who-we-have-lost believe again?

I don't know any other country in the world that abandons its next generation of customers, its youth and its inheritance to a competitor. This is exactly what PanTrinbago and the NCC have done. Everywhere in the world the opposite pertains. Huge amounts of resources and brainpower are invested in finding ways for traditions to remain relevant—to create bridges... The NCC has ensured that in 20 years there'll be no Panorama—but an all-inclusive that can be sunk by "Beyonce in Concert"! Contrast this to museums in the US which have already computed demographic figures for the next 100 years and realised minorities will then be majority, and that minorities represent only one per cent of current museum visitors—so the future of white-bread traditional museums is at stake. They're creating programmes to answer this reality. European and American museums are constantly innovating displays, programmes, and buildings to bring in younger audiences.

Our leaders don't understand the power of "great design". The billions in profits for Apple products, Nike and Ikea exist because of great design. The multi-billion-dollar successes of Manhattan, Chicago, Dubai and Paris as cities exist because of great design. What is it that we don't get?

The Grand Stand is for the Golden Age Carnival crowd and experience. Design it so. Decor, food, games, trivia, dress, attendants, experience. The North Stand is for the cultured spirit of Trinidad—who knows how to fete without disrespecting the Pan, to whom the names Desperadoes, Fonclaire, Phase II mean something. Design it so. Give them the memorabilia to deepen their understanding of the culture they celebrate... Design to bring "de Roots" back to the "Track"... The Greens is where the new generation is: ignorant, philistine, alcoholic and carnal. An Americanised generation with Trinbagonian instincts. Deepen those instincts. Let this be the great experiment between modernity and tradition—let Pan be inescapable and its crowning glory. Massive screens with the bands on stage. A brilliant sound system blaring the pan selections and performances, forcing the Greens to listen. Pan stalls and memorabilia everywhere. May it never be far from their consciousness that the reason they're there is Pan!

Also let the rhythm sections go where they're screaming to go. There's a new music that wants to emerge from our rhythm sections. It's waiting for our sound engineers, a new generation of chantuelle, the stage, and context to emerge. When it does, it will take over. Listen to me with this one. Panorama is the place where this signal was sent to us. Finally, Panorama needs its new muse since Kitchener. I suggest it will come from one of his three heirs: Rudder, Kernal Roberts or yes, Iwer George! Also melodic popular party tunes must supplant those boring formulaic "pan tunes". These are pan versions of crap formulaic Dimanche Gras calypso, and formulaic Malick/Shiv Shakti-type variety shows. They represent what politicians have reduced "culture" to. This public service-isation of culture must be destroyed. Art must come from tradition, inspiration, and invention—not formulas for judges and politicians.

Carnival is not an "event"—it's a ritual. It comes from a "sacred" place. The oldest type of sacred—from five ancestral fonts, mixing here to create the ultimate festival. The sooner we understand this and stop treating it like a "fete", the better. If we understood this, we'd understand Dimanche Gras is the coliseum of the Monarchs of our Carnival. That's what it is. It's the final, biggest gayelle! It's not "a show". Each monarchy exists because of our people's need to crown a part of our creative collective soul...

Imagine this: we create the Carnival and Steelband Museum in the Savannah. At the "Kings Go Forth" show after Carnival held there we hold coronations for each Monarch—Stickfighter, Extempo, Soca Monarch, Calypso King... all culminating with the coronation of the King and Queen costumes, where it's announced if this year's winners are worthy to be on permanent display in the museum—at which point the "anointed" ascend the platform where waiting to receive them are "Tan Tan", "Saga Boy", "Beauty in Perpetuity", "Splendoria", etc. Imagine that! Then we'd understand who we are...

dedetriniking

Another article by my friend about the Demise of carnival
Great great great article! Kudos to your friend cuz he hit the nail on the head.

Sadly we are not a forward thinking people. How can you have a great tradition the steelpan and panorama and not build an institution around it.

There is so much competing for the hearts and minds of people around the world and to keep your people feeding from your mother's milk of native culture you have to devise ways to capture and keep their minds.....you cya just have bands come to a big boarded stage between to bare set of bleechers and leave the job solely for the bands that roll their pans in, perform and roll their pans out....there has got to be way more planning and forethought that go into that environment and atmosphere that will elevate the experience beyond just a alcohol driven picnic.

I agree 100% with that article.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
i think that's just the way people set in tnt now.. in fact everywhere... i have been observing this for a while now.. to some people partying simply is a means to consume alcohol and behave "wassy".. it's more so about these two things- liquor and bad behaviour.. than about the experience, the vibe, the theme of the party.. for many carnival has become a way to just be drunk on end for a couple of days at a time... there is no semblance of culture, of traditions, nothing but wine on a bumper and drink drink and skin out in d road... many go to the panorama competiton to see and be seen, not hear a lick of Pan... and the eminence of social media has given rise to a level of narcisissm that is unprecedented... I realize that i personally dont have much of a group mentality.. so for carnival if i feel to go X fete, i go there.. not i go because this person or that person is going to be there and i need to be there so that i can "stand up and be counted"... like people who constantly name drop worry me because there are a lot of hangers on in the music and media industry... nothing is wrong with knowing people because everybody knows somebody who then goes on to do something.. but if you are always perpetrating like you are up the hallway from God's penthouse.. that's cause for concern.. cos some folks will tell people they know you when they drive on your street once lol.. i see this recently with soembody put up a pic of Lil Bitts video.. so they say the video nice.. one setta yes men and women rush in.. yea yea.. nice video .. it interesting blah blah.. bout an hour later.. the person come and put up the same video and diss it.. asking wham to Lil Bitts, the SAME yes men and women rush in and say yea boy da video is reeeeeeeeeeel shit.. madness.. and then bam! the person blow them up and tell them they fulla shit cos they jus jus claim to like the video! ... it makes you think though... I'm so sure that plenty people play in paint and oil and mud for Jouvert without knowing much about the traditional ole mas characters.. there does need to be a concentrated effort to revive the culture and preserve what is already there..

iPicong

This was the 1st year I decide tuh take a tush with pan semis and I wasnt blown away by it........meh friends say it was the worse they been to......all inclusives and clanishness been killing the culture and it will come full circle soon enough..........I love the term "forward thinkers" but his cannot be utilized by you coconuts because like neverCcomeC newhappyiggas allyuh doh know how tuh maintain allyuh culture and still embrace current trends.........it had way too many different crews with music and tents set up.........at certain points you wasn't sure what direction to listen from.........PanTrinbago and NCC should have set things up 1 way and not allow these crews to have they individual thing going........but money talks

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
i used to go pan with my fam and friends when we were younger.. it is nothing like what it is now.. people just using pan as the scapegoat to make some more money offa the Sheeple... it's very interesting how things happen in tnt but people really dont think... people rushing to get into Tribe but a lot of the hardcore Tribers going to Bliss and Fantasy.. why? because they don't want to be partying with the marish and the parish and a lot of the people that normally wouldnt be in Tribe, are now there.. so guess what... there is a small exodus... i've heard this repeated so many times, that i do wonder about this mentality.. the prices of the fetes going up and up and up and up.. but peopel will keep paying.. i remember the drama a while back when TCD posted a remark from someone about having gotten in Tribe (it was a friend of TCD and myself who was being sarcastic) and people's comments were SOOOOOO over the top. i had to laugh yes.. i had to.. Trinidad is a strange place.. when you walking around and seeing people in leather boots and leather jacket and they trying oh so hard to look ultra cool but you in your short pants and vest burning up... lol.. it's amazing..