The Panama Thread

Collie4Nyah

Ganjalero

The Black Christ is a Saint in Portobelo, people from all over come and repent for their sins.

people crawl on the street with hot candle wax poured on their back (west indian descendents dont really participate in this like that lol)

Big Post!

There is a similar figure in Guatemala....

sankofaa

let start by going back, lord cobra

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YdoS08bdC1E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mgPudlb_R_M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tikreyol

Got Kompa?
this tune comes on the spanish stations all the time. Big tune! Pasame la boteeeelaaaa

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jzzWVMXI8V8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sankofaa

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q48P0WMZdqk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

more classics, nando boom

Tiguere

Temporary Suspension
this tune comes on the spanish stations all the time. Big tune! Pasame la boteeeelaaaa

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jzzWVMXI8V8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
soca?

Tiguere

Temporary Suspension
why do west indiands have such a strong influence on panamanian (pop) culture? the dr's eastern region recieved alot of west indian immigration yet there is very little cultural influence, you dont see any dominican soca or reggae (actual reggae, not reggaeton) artists or people speaking patois in these areas

sankofaa

maybe it's the countries they came from, we are from jamaica, trinidad, barbados and dominica so theres a pride factor, jamaicans especially. Its not just panama, every cetral american country except el salvador has a similar set up, theres just more in panama.

Tiguere

Temporary Suspension
maybe it's the countries they came from, we are from jamaica, trinidad, barbados and dominica so theres a pride factor, jamaicans especially. Its not just panama, every cetral american country except el salvador has a similar set up, theres just more in panama.
most of our west indians were from leeward islands so i guess that makes sense, the nationalities you mentioned are less assimilative i guess

is there a significant indo-caribbean community (via trinidad)?

sankofaa

actually there is, in Bocas especially. I never knew that until I went there, but I guess alot of Indo trinis and Douglas used to have homes in bocas and ended up staying. Indo jamaicans too.

sankofaa

The Darien is one of the most vast rainforests in the western hemishpere, most of the population from what i know is indigenous, it starts directly east of panama city and ends in Colombia

Sankofaa...a few people on other threads have said that Panamanians are West Indian (because the only Panamanians they've come in contact with in New York and other places are of West Indian descent)...I don't think they are aware of Panama's diversity...do you find that most people aren't aware of Panama's large mestizo population? I'm asking this because in the "latin country that produces the best looking women" topic, somebody told you that Panamanians just look like regular black people (ignoring the fact that Panamanians come in all colours), it kind of made me feel like people are completely unaware of how diverse Panama actually is, do you find this to be true?

It is my understanding that Panama's black and mulato population together make up about 22% of the population yet in areas like Colon they are actually the majority. But as you know, not every single black person in Panama is of West Indian descent, but I am aware of the impact they've made to Panama's culture...so my other question would be, do you consider Panama to be a West Indian country due to the thousands of people who are of West Indian descent? or would you only apply that identity to those who actually have West Indian ancestry?

Last edited:

sankofaa

Most people don't know about panama's diversity because most panamanians are still in panama, so naturally people assume black west indians are the majority because of the heavy cultural influence and the fact we're the largest immigrant group. But its still a latin american country, it just has heavy influence from the anglo caribbean, they say the number is 22% but I think its alot higher, some of the panas (mixed people) look just like black americans and consider themselves spanish.

I think the west indians have retained the culture, but its still central america, you can't ignore the fact there is mestizo and indian culture that has been around for centuries before our folks came.

Tiguere

Temporary Suspension
Most people don't know about panama's diversity because most panamanians are still in panama, so naturally people assume black west indians are the majority because of the heavy cultural influence and the fact we're the largest immigrant group. But its still a latin american country, it just has heavy influence from the anglo caribbean, they say the number is 22% but I think its alot higher, some of the panas (mixed people) look just like black americans and consider themselves spanish.

I think the west indians have retained the culture, but its still central america, you can't ignore the fact there is mestizo and indian culture that has been around for centuries before our folks came.
ive heard the mestizos in panama also have african ancestry

Seawall

Sankofaa...a few people on other threads have said that Panamanians are West Indian (because the only Panamanians they've come in contact with in New York and other places are of West Indian descent)...I don't think they are aware of Panama's diversity...do you find that most people aren't aware of Panama's large mestizo population? I'm asking this because in the "latin country that produces the best looking women" topic, somebody told you that Panamanians just look like regular black people (ignoring the fact that Panamanians come in all colours), it kind of made me feel like people are completely unaware of how diverse Panama actually is, do you find this to be true?

It is my understanding that Panama's black and mulato population together make up about 22% of the population yet in areas like Colon they are actually the majority. But as you know, not every single black person in Panama is of West Indian descent, but I am aware of the impact they've made to Panama's culture...so my other question would be, do you consider Panama to be a West Indian country due to the thousands of people who are of West Indian descent? or would you only apply that identity to those who actually have West Indian ancestry?
I once read that Panama's Afro descendants were in the majority.

sankofaa

I once read that Panama's Afro descendants were in the majority.
In Colon and Portobelo and surrounding areas definately, nationwide id say its about 35-40%. We have over 100 indian tribes so you have a bulk of the population descending from them.

CYA

&#2384;
Gamboa is a large rainforest preserve around the canal zone, alot of indigenous people still live there no different than they did 500 years ago

I like these. Panama is gorgeous though. Word. People have a lot of misconceptions about the place, the people and culture though for real.

they say the number is 22% but I think its alot higher, some of the panas (mixed people) look just like black americans and consider themselves spanish.
I know exactly what you mean, in Puerto Rico's year 2000 census, it said that Puerto Rico was 84.2% white (Caucasian) not mestizo or mulato, but flat out pure unmixed white...which is complete bullshit cause they've done DNA studies in several different parts of the island, and the European traces are the smallest except for in a few towns in the west coast...but hey...ah so di ting set...a lot of brown and mixed people in Spanish-speaking countries tend to identify as "white" on the census...as opposed to blacks in the states who even light-skinned ones still identify as Black on the census (usually). The thing is, the "mejorar la raza" propaganda has really screwed with black people's mentality in Latin countries. Some of them would rather take the easy way out and call themselves Spanish, rather than work in the struggle for the upliftment of our people as a whole. That's one of the reasons why I hate to be referred to as Spaniard/Spanish.

Last edited: