The Panama Thread

Tiguere

Temporary Suspension
I know exactly what you mean, in Puerto Rico's year 2000 census, it said that Puerto Rico was 84.2% white (Caucasian) not mestizo or mulato, but flat out pure unmixed white...which is complete bullshit cause they've done DNA studies in several different parts of the island, and the European traces are the smallest except for in a few towns in the west coast...but hey...ah so di ting set...a lot of brown and mixed people in Spanish-speaking countries tend to identify as "white" on the census...as opposed to blacks in the states who even light-skinned ones still identify as Black on the census (usually).

Dudas sobre el Censo ::: Wapa.tv

sankofaa

isla grande is another scenic place, near colon, great for fresh seafood and CHEAP. I forgot to mention that in all coastal areas you can get some of the BEST seafood in panama for cheap. Our fried fish is on another level.

local negroes

isla grande is another scenic place, near colon, great for fresh seafood and CHEAP. I forgot to mention that in all coastal areas you can get some of the BEST seafood in panama for cheap. Our fried fish is on another level.
Nice!!! What about bacalao guisado? bake and shark? are they common/typical? Would you mind posting some pictures of the local cuisine as far as seafood goes?

tikreyol

Got Kompa?
Great photos. These are reminding me back in the days of stories of my parents, and relatives going to Panama to shop. Panama seem to have got the right mix of everything.

How's you all's carnaval?

dollbabi

Earth Angel
I know exactly what you mean, in Puerto Rico's year 2000 census, it said that Puerto Rico was 84.2% white (Caucasian) not mestizo or mulato, but flat out pure unmixed white...which is complete bullshit cause they've done DNA studies in several different parts of the island, and the European traces are the smallest except for in a few towns in the west coast...but hey...ah so di ting set...a lot of brown and mixed people in Spanish-speaking countries tend to identify as "white" on the census...as opposed to blacks in the states who even light-skinned ones still identify as Black on the census (usually). The thing is, the "mejorar la raza" propaganda has really screwed with black people's mentality in Latin countries. Some of them would rather take the easy way out and call themselves Spanish, rather than work in the struggle for the upliftment of our people as a whole. That's one of the reasons why I hate to be referred to as Spaniard/Spanish.

Just different perceptions of so-called race. That's a major reason why Tiguere and SKBai were butting heads so much. Tiguere see more mulato/white and SKBai sees more mulato/black. The problem is with the concept of race itself.

Great photos. These are reminding me back in the days of stories of my parents, and relatives going to Panama to shop. Panama seem to have got the right mix of everything.

How's you all's carnaval?
Agree!

sankofaa

A few local dishes

Sancocho (Chicken soup with yuca, cho cho, yam, carrot and corn)

fresh fried snapper and corvina (bass) my personal favorite, with rice n peas

notice lime in panama bright yellow compared to the ones here

ceviche

cant forget bun and cheese, every easter

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
Panama woman does be like ah special kinda breed oui!! I went to school wid a few gyul from dey. Lawd ah fockin dribblin jus tinkin bowt dem buttum an dem

tikreyol

Got Kompa?
Perdoname babaaay :dance:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6nl5U0O5nOU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ObscureOpulence

more pics of colon

Zonalibre

this is one of the few mosques that i know about in the country

This is portobelo, the main settlement for true black panamanians

Contrary to popular belief Portobelo, Panama is not the main area or only area of settlement where "true black Panamanians" live. There are tons of settlements where true black Panamanians have settled and lived since the earliest of colonial times and post emancipation from slavery as well as following being displaced by the Panama Canal project. Colonial blacks are very widespread throughout Panama.

ObscureOpulence

There are lots if true black Panamanian communities and settlements in the interior and on the Pacific sides and regions of Panama.