the psychology of the "like" button

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
upon inspection, i am noticing that people use the "like" button for many reasons, as well as imixers reacting oddly to it.

some people have an emotional reaction to 3rd parties "liking" posts where they are being directly insulted by someone...i don't want to go as far as saying that is a sign of emotional instability but it is a manifestation of something?

some people also use it as a weapon, trying to evoke emotions in others by being that 3rd party....now there are some people that may genuinely agree with the insult, but there are a few that do it to be vindictive

there are also people that "like" a post where they themselves are being insulted, or where the poster is directly opposing the "likers" stance...it's almost as if they are using the "like" button as some sort of defense mechanism, to prove they are not phased by the overt challenge or opposition....that to me is also indicative of some sort of dysfunction....because one should not have to employ defense mechanisms during a simple exchange of ideas

i also had a conversation with a friend and she told me that she counts her "likes" on facebook and it does bother her, if particular people does not "like" a picture or status.....she sees it as a direct snub

my question is, what does it mean, when a simple "like" is becoming an emotion manipulator?

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
it is simply a manifestation of validation ... if somebody says something that i agree with, i like the post... it may not even about the person being insulted, but more so, the argument/point that was expressed... some people who have similar views tend to like the same type of posts... when i see certain posts, i automatically know who will have liked those posts...

in fb groups i see this a lot.. when i see certain comments and i see 3 likes, i can automatically know by what kind of posts and who made the statement who the "likers" will be... i notice group boards tend to be heavy with the cliques.. its so apparent to me now that it's almost amusing.. these folks tend to like what their "squad" says almost to the level of group think... lol..

on my fb page, i'm kinda discriminating with my likes.. lol..if i see an interesting topic, i'd usually comment before i like.. if it is something that needs no comment then i'd like - baby pics, wedding pics, nice outfit pic etc....i also watch the likes on people who have very popular pages as the constant notifications aggravate me.. so to like a status and you have 429 notifications.. not the business.. so those posts i read, or comment and then unfollow.. hell sometimes i unfollow my own posts so those people who come and like shit 5 days later dont irritate me.

i have seen a particular individual get kinda weird when there are too many likes on my pics... there will always be some offkey comment... i do wonder about people and their insecurities... i doh even study that...

and nikki, if you think an imix or fb like has power, people like dey does want to dead on IG over a "like" lol

Missmayling

upon inspection, i am noticing that people use the "like" button for many reasons, as well as imixers reacting oddly to it.

some people have an emotional reaction to 3rd parties "liking" posts where they are being directly insulted by someone...i don't want to go as far as saying that is a sign of emotional instability but it is a manifestation of something?

some people also use it as a weapon, trying to evoke emotions in others by being that 3rd party....now there are some people that may genuinely agree with the insult, but there are a few that do it to be vindictive

there are also people that "like" a post where they themselves are being insulted, or where the poster is directly opposing the "likers" stance...it's almost as if they are using the "like" button as some sort of defense mechanism, to prove they are not phased by the overt challenge or opposition....that to me is also indicative of some sort of dysfunction....because one should not have to employ defense mechanisms during a simple exchange of ideas

i also had a conversation with a friend and she told me that she counts her "likes" on facebook and it does bother her, if particular people does not "like" a picture or status.....she sees it as a direct snub

my question is, what does it mean, when a simple "like" is becoming an emotion manipulator?
still harping over colors telling your backup chick to take a hike???

Colors

STEADY WUK

Only one word I can say about this thread HYPOCRITE......when dollibabi was running behind post and pressing the like button it was fine .....now we need a whole thread because it is not being used to the liking of Attention Starve Barney ......wha a ting

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
I already said why I use the like button. I hop on here in between things at work, and the like button is simply when I agree with someone. I don't have to say what they're saying in my own words, when it's already there and I can keep on moving throughout the forum.

I use the like button when I really like something or if I find it funny, even when its supposed to "insult" me. Cuz it cant really insult me cuz i dont personally know you people.

bhalistix

It is I

is this what would pass as "intellectual conversation"?

:confused

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
is this what would pass as "intellectual conversation"?

:confused
no...all the threads you BYPASS is what is considered intellectual conversation....

dude.....you in this thread because I started it....and that is the ONLY reason......please find another muse

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
I just liked almost every post in this thread so there must be something wrong with me! :beach:

Minxy

how bout.....its just a like button :meeting:

Wow .. you people need a life
ah tellin yuh :no2:

lol...who dat

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
trinilion, wha "you people need a life" yuh talkin bout when yu was hype to have an islandmix lime?? lol.. ketch yuhself hoss