These damn double standards

Swollen

Players Play I Coach
Woman hits her spouse, spouse defends himself, husband gets accused of spousal abuse...

I hate liberals...

Oprah is being called out by a number of media outlets for her alleged double standard regarding domestic violence.

At the center of the controversy is Debra Winans, ex-wife of the 47-year old Grammy Award winning gospel and R&B singer BeBe Winans. In February, a story made headlines that BeBe had shoved Debra to the ground in front of their two kids (ages 10 and 13) after a verbal dispute regarding custody issues. A domestic charge violence against BeBe is pending until a court hearing in 2010.

Oprah has been very vocal about her zero-tolerance policy regarding domestic abuse following the highly publicized Chris Brown and Rihanna incident. On February 8, 2009, after a Grammy Awards pre-show party, the two singers had a physical altercation in a vehicle that left Rihanna bloodied and bruised. After the incident, Oprah's told 'Access Hollywood' that "Domestic violence is something that I wouldn't tolerate. Period," and subsequently banned Chris Brown from appearing on her show. Ironically, BeBe's arrest came only one day before Oprah aired a special on her show about domestic violence.

Just recently, Winfrey invited BeBe Winans on her show to host "Oprah's Karaoke Challenge," an 'American Idol' style competition to find the nation's best karaoke singer. Winans was brought on to promote his new reunion album with his sister CeCe Winans, 'Still.'

Many wonder if Winfrey was simply unaware of the charges against Winans. Others see it as a blantant double standard. TMZ recently spoke to Debra Winans, who said she is "hurt by Oprah's decision to have BeBe on the show." Winfrey has yet to issue a public response.

G

Gladiator

You dont here femminists addressing these type of double standards. Only hear about the double standards that favor men.

Last edited:
G

Gladiator

...and she may not even care to give a public response.

Georgeflash

Who feels it knows it!
No Georgie, you a liberal...
What does liberal or conservative have to do with anything?

You are saying if a woman hits you then you should be protected by the law to give her an azz whooping.

No one can retaliate and be protected from prosecution (unless in FL and a few other States where stand your ground is law of the land).

Lets talk about the real sickness and not this symptom.

A lot of the problems people have is due to bad personal choices. I have been with a whole lot of women.....a whole lot.....and not ONE of them has ever raised a hand at me. That's because I don't associate with viragoes who would be inclined to get physical in order to work out differences.

Swollen

Players Play I Coach
What does liberal or conservative have to do with anything?

You are saying if a woman hits you then you should be protected by the law to give her an azz whooping.

No one can retaliate and be protected from prosecution (unless in FL and a few other States where stand your ground is law of the land).

Lets talk about the real sickness and not this symptom.

A lot of the problems people have is due to bad personal choices. I have been with a whole lot of women.....a whole lot.....and not ONE of them has ever raised a hand at me. That's because I don't associate with viragoes who would be inclined to get physical in order to work out differences.
Ah see yah being doing some personal development on yuh debating points....

Liberals is the cause of all this sexual freeness that pervades our society.
I'm more inclined to the keep them barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.

Red Pole

So the double standard here is that Oprah banned Chris Brown because of his assault on Rhianna but didn't ban Bebe because of what?:confused

According to that piece you quoted he was scheduled for a hearing in 2010. What was the outcome?

Just trying to get my head around your logic here.......:grin:

Georgeflash

Who feels it knows it!
Ah see yah being doing some personal development on yuh debating points....

Liberals is the cause of all this sexual freeness that pervades our society.
I'm more inclined to the keep them barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen.
Pussi I don't come here fi debate. Just bax dung smallies.

Swollen

Players Play I Coach
Swallow, what u said in your original post and the story kinda dont connect..
It never does my mind is very abstract....

Ex:

There is no org. that protects men from spousal abuse they are only out there for battered women...

Red Pole

It never does my mind is very abstract....

Ex:

There is no org. that protects men from spousal abuse they are only out there for battered women...
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE or 800-799-7233. The hotline provides crisis intervention and referrals to resources.