Trini soca artists

they are some crafty mofos. They are very versatile and they know to go all over the Caribbean and the world to get the right production for their music, they will not limit themselves to just producing all their music in Trinidad. That's why I think we should stop calling music, "Trini soca", "Bajan soca", Vincy soca etc. back in the day soca was just soca. How can it be labeled Trini soca when the singer is from Trinidad, the song is written by a Lucian, produced by a vincy, an Antiguan guitarist and mastered in New York. It's just simply music. We should just enjoy music and just regard it as Soca.

trinifrombx

Smh at this lowlife who for years of diss we ting and made insulting remarks about other islands, now you want to make peace, haulumoddass, you ain't fooling no one !

Enjoy the music, when you ever supported we ting? Show me a receipt from iTunes , etc where you supported we ting ?

all you of done is talk bad about we ting, carnival, soca, etc

Hypocrite !

they are some crafty mofos. They are very versatile and they know to go all over the Caribbean and the world to get the right production for their music, they will not limit themselves to just producing all their music in Trinidad. That's why I think we should stop calling music, "Trini soca", "Bajan soca", Vincy soca etc. back in the day soca was just soca. How can it be labeled Trini soca when the singer is from Trinidad, the song is written by a Lucian, produced by a vincy, an Antiguan guitarist and mastered in New York. It's just simply music. We should just enjoy music and just regard it as Soca.

As the bolded say, its just music. Soca has diluted itself so much that there is no longer a clear definition of what it is. If a soca artist jump on a UK Funky House ridim (party hard), its now considered soca, if a soca artist jump on a bouyon ridim (red button) - its now considered soca, if a soca artist remix an afrobeats song, its now considered soca. An edm ridim with soca lyrics is considered soca. The genre confuse itself

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
As the bolded say, its just music. Soca has diluted itself so much that there is no longer a clear definition of what it is. If a soca artist jump on a UK Funky House ridim (party hard), its now considered soca, if a soca artist jump on a bouyon ridim (red button) - its now considered soca, if a soca artist remix an afrobeats song, its now considered soca. An edm ridim with soca lyrics is considered soca. The genre confuse itself
The genre is not confused but you might be.
Machel Montano the current Soca King did say in one of his interviews that Soca has evolved over the years from just being the Soul Of CAlypso and T&T as defined by Lord Shorty to being the Sound Of the CAribbean as now defined by himself.

Those who know original soca music know very well what soca music traditionally sounds like but the music must continue to evolve as it spreads its wings.

Soca artists are just learning to do like the Jamaican Dancehall artists and refer to whatever music they sing on as Soca much like how the Jamaican Dancehall artists usually do when they jump on non-reggae riddims. They always put their Jamaican twist to it and still refer to it as Dancehall reggae which is a main part of the reason why Dancehall music has been so successful in evolving over the years.

I view this as good marketing for Soca music which will eventually help to put Soca on the mainstream map as a music genre.

I hope Soca artists continue with this current trend of labelling every style of music they sing on as being Soca. This branding worked very well for the Jamaican Dancehall artists so I see no reason why it shouldn't work just as well for our Soca artists?

Long may this current trend of branding everything Soca artists sing as Soca continue in your mind until all music on the planet is eventually branded and regarded in your mind as Soca. :good:

Btw back in 1998 when Machel Montano recorded and released the tune below he was branding it in the media as an Opera Jab-Jab Soca tune and this was even before the current Grenada Jab-Jab soca trend took off as Tallpree did not come with his first Jab Jab soca hit "Old Woman Alone" until the following year 1999 in Grenada which crossed over to T&T Carnival in early 2000.

Machel Montano HD & Natasha - Jabmolassie (1998) [Opera-JabJab-Soca]
<iframe width="550" height="350" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2Z2jdeZxHP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Produced by Anastas "Na$ty" Hackett

The Soca King Machel Montano is a trendsetter and understands about Soca branding and marketing.