Trinidad - UNC govt to cut some GATE/tertiary funding

UNCONFIRMED

GATE funding will discontinue for programmes at approved regional tertiary education institutions, except for those that are not available at approved local institutions in T&T, and also for pre-medical programmes at St George's University, effective January 2013.

This was based on the recommendations coming out of a August 27, 2012 final Report of the Standing Committee of the GATE Programme'.

Also, keep in mind, this is an austerity budget coming up so expect some more cuts in other areas.

all4life

Forca Barca
UNCONFIRMED

GATE funding will discontinue for programmes at approved regional tertiary education institutions, except for those that are not available at approved local institutions in T&T, and also for pre-medical programmes at St George's University, effective January 2013.

This was based on the recommendations coming out of a August 27, 2012 final Report of the Standing Committee of the GATE Programme'.

Also, keep in mind, this is an austerity budget coming up so expect some more cuts in other areas.
Does that mean UWI in Jamaica and Barbados?

About their austerity measures, how about Ipads for MP's, 10 million to each MP to spend in his constituency, Kamal riding up and down in 3 Helicopters, endless Corruption and nepotism in govt ministries. Stop those things and they save $1 billion already

#wegetagovttheyvotefor

Soca_Loving_Trini

Official Winin' criminal
Utter fukry..... Why do gov't ministers need ipads?? The best excuse they could have found was to save on paper?? Do they even write anything or do most of them just sleep while parliament is in session? I have friends who are at St. Georges uni and many more want to go there its actually a great school for med & sciences I hope they rethink this. Gate is helping so much people young & old.

Steupz

It was inevitable that GATE would be tailored and made leaner. It costs a lot.

This sentence, though, is a tad confusing.

It could be that they are preventing foreign Trinidadians from accessing GATE. I do know of a couple people who had the TT Gov't pay for their medical degree at Mona because one of their parents was a Trini, though they both lived in Jamaica.
If I read this correctly, those two would have to do their degree in Trinidad to access funding.