Two killed in Labour Day J'ouvert celebrations.

MÉCHANT LOUP

Cervical Cancer
Outside of the fact that most are outrage of these senseless execution over and over......

What have you done as a concern citizen, parent, or just being a decent human being to better your community and help some of these misguided youths ?

We have reach out to the NYC Council members to have or bring back vocational training programs, stiffer gun control laws, etc....it seems carrying around an illegal hand gun and facing 1 year in jail is a total joker and not a deterrent for them !

Most of these youths have no role model in the house......by the time they are teenagers, the mothers can't speak to them.....

Waiting to see what Eric Adams going to address any of these issues we have presented to him.

Outside of guns control laws and coming up with programs to help these youths who feel hopeless....what else can we as a community can implement to save them and from executing..innocent ppl ?

I want to say, I commend your good intentions, purpose, and goal to find a solution.

But I feel what you wrote there is one set of caca.

The issues/challenges/struggles that minority youths face today are no different than what youths decades ago faced. The difference today are the PARENTS. Parents today have no shame or fear of public ridicule. Humiliation and Embarrassment was a deterrent. These kids move fearless and without forethought in their antics and actions. Decades ago kids moved with more purpose and thought, even if their family lacked structure and principles. Just to avoid embarrassment and humiliation. Hence, why if you got locked away to jail or prison your family would lie and say: "He away at school"..."He was sent away to live with family"..."He at Job Corps" Etc. Nowadays, it's cool to be a Teenage Mom or a Single Mother. And, in a place like NYC it's even lucrative. Most of these Illegal Guns are Relics, Stolen from a Legal owners, or very Cheap crap like Hi-Point that are like $150 brand new. This 17 yr old boy who was shot at Jouvert Mother said: "I begged my son not to go, but he still went"...Beg? Beg?? Beg??? You know how much kick a$$ and awaking to broomstick across my skull for going to bed without washing the wares from my mother. Beg, what? no sah.

Lucianite

I want to say, I commend your good intentions, purpose, and goal to find a solution.

The issues/challenges/struggles that minority youths face today are no different than what youths decades ago faced. The difference today are the PARENTS. Parents today have no shame or fear of public ridicule. Humiliation and Embarrassment was a deterrent. These kids move fearless and without forethought in their antics and actions. Decades ago kids moved with more purpose and thought, even if their family lacked structure and principles. Just to avoid embarrassment and humiliation. Hence, why if you got locked away to jail or prison your family would lie and say: "He away at school"..."He was sent away to live with family"..."He at Job Corps" Etc. Nowadays, it's cool to be a Teenage Mom or a Single Mother. And, in a place like NYC it's even lucrative. Most of these Illegal Guns are Relics, Stolen from a Legal owners, or very Cheap crap like Hi-Point that are like $150 brand new. This 17 yr old boy who was shot at Jouvert Mother said: "I begged my son not to go, but he still went"...Beg? Beg?? Beg??? You know how much kick a$$ and awaking to broomstick across my skull for going to bed without washing the wares from my mother. Beg, what? no sah.
The bolded when i read it did strike me as phucking crazy and slackness that you have to "beg" your 17 yrs old kid living at home to no go.

so we have a "PARENTS" problem ? - so how did these "PARENTS" get to be a problem - were their parents the root cause ?
So the Parents should be targeted. ?

I think Parents is ONE part, albeit huge part, of the problem.

on the flip side there was the brilliant young scholarly Lady who got shot in the Eye. So we have a GUNS problem too.

Even after you adjust for the parent not having control - kid should not die. Even in our strict upbringing, we broke some rules, escaped (Marwar (sp)) but the price and risks are not as high with soo many guns.

so we add, lack of morals, greed, thirst for capital, education (lack of ), hopelessness,

biggadon

jouvert needs a 5 year hiatus ...... let them miss it for awhile then bring it back maybe then they will enjoy the damn niceness that is jouvert and not try kill each other..... what I just cant fathom is all dem damn sexy ass young woman whining up and down de place and man have time to go buss gun...GTFOHWTBS !

Oneshot

where de crix

some people have to die so others will live.
hopefully his death will save his siblings.

Lucianite

Solution : move it off the streets to a pay venue like in Miami , like Floyd Bennett field !
I said to someone today about the exact location - the band can come down flatbush and enter Floyd Bennett Field...

also, it will take the gang bangers out of their element - in the current area they know where to run/escape

i dont see the need for jouvert, why not just keep the parade but change the venue? or maybe make it two days, that parade is too cluttered and out of control.

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers
sorry, but the way Jouvert is currently set up, i dont think its possible to curb the violence that happens... you cant control it.
I think the best way is to do like other states.. have it in a park somewhere where you have to register with a jouvert band or pay to enter if you want to participate. Upon entry, you gettin checked. Dont know where that is possible in Brooklyn but thats the only way i can see a way to stop the nonsense

MÉCHANT LOUP

Cervical Cancer
sorry, but the way Jouvert is currently set up, i dont think its possible to curb the violence that happens... you cant control it.
I think the best way is to do like other states.. have it in a park somewhere where you have to register with a jouvert band or pay to enter if you want to participate. Upon entry, you gettin checked. Dont know where that is possible in Brooklyn but thats the only way i can see a way to stop the nonsense
Floyd Bennett Field...like TFB' said.

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
RE: Trini teen who was killed

OMG

His mother is never going to get over this. At 17, if Mommy say you not going, you are not going. What kind of behavior is this? Poor child minding his business and get shot....

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
It will ruin the whole thing because the best thing about J'Ouvert is dancing and wining in the streets at 4:00 am. BUT, I agree with you. Desperate times call for desperate measures....

notorious saga

Sagattarius
What the hell you doing taking a gun to jouvert?

Police Make Arrest in Fatal Shooting at Caribbean Carnival

ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK — Sep 6, 2016, 4:47 PM ET

NYC Caribbean Festival The Associated Press

Crime scene investigators with the New York Police Department work at the scene where multiple people were killed and others injured in a shooting during J'ouvert festivities in the Brooklyn borough of New York on Monday, Sept. 5, 2016.

A man has been arrested in one of two fatal shootings that cast a pall over a carnival celebrating the city's Caribbean communities, police announced Tuesday.

Regenald Moise implicated himself in the shooting of 22-year-old Tiarah Poyau before dawn Monday during the Brooklyn street festival known as J'ouvert, police Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said.

Boyce said Moise told an acquaintance, "I think I shot somebody on the parade route. I didn't know the gun was loaded."

Boyce said Poyau, who was shot in the head, was a student at St. John's University and was "a stellar person."

Moise was arrested on charges of murder, criminal possession of a weapon and reckless endangerment. He was in custody, and no information on an attorney for him was available.

Police have not made an arrest in the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Tyreke Borel about half an hour before Poyau's shooting.

Borel and Poyau were killed despite a stepped-up police presence after a lawyer with the administration of Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo was fatally shot at last year's J'ouvert celebration.

Democratic Mayor Bill de Blasio said that despite the violence city officials are not considering canceling J'ouvert, a celebration that takes place in the pre-dawn hours every Labor Day before the larger West Indian Day Parade kicks off.

"J'ouvert will continue," said de Blasio, who joined police officials at a news conference. "It's an event that's very important to the community. ... But we're going to look at every conceivable way to make it safer."

J'ouvert brings an estimated 250,000 people to the streets, while the West Indian parade attracts more than 1 million. No shootings or stabbings were reported at the larger parade Monday.

De Blasio said the West Indian parade and two of the city's other massive annual gatherings, the St. Patrick's Day Parade and the Puerto Rican Day Parade, have all been marred by violence and disorder in the past but each one of them was brought under control.

"We'll do the same here with J'ouvert," he promised.

Lucianite

Prospect Park?
No way ,. Much worse

They will figure it out... In some ways I think this an exaggeration because this happens on the regular on a weekend ... I have a thread on the prevelance of gun violence at weekend bbqs... So really root of problem is guns and violence ...