UAW told to FACK Off by VW Workers

IslandmixUSA

Dragon Singh
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — In a defeat for organized labor in the South, employees at the Volkswagen plant here voted 712 to 626 against joining the United Automobile Workers.

The loss is an especially stinging blow for U.A.W. because Volkswagen did not even oppose the unionization drive. The union’s defeat — in what was one of the most closely watched unionization votes in decades — is expected to slow, perhaps stymie, the union’s long-term plans to organize other auto plants in the South.

A retired local judge, Samuel H. Payne, announced the vote results inside VW’s sprawling plant after officials from the National Labor Relations Board had counted the ballots. In the hours before the votes were tallied, after three days of voting at the assembly plant, both sides were predicting victory.

The vote this week came in a region that is traditionally anti-union, and as a result many said the U.A.W. faced an uphill battle. The union saw the campaign as a vital first step toward expanding in the South, while many companies in Tennessee feared that a U.A.W. triumph would hurt the state’s welcoming image for business.

IslandmixUSA

Dragon Singh
I'm happy about this.
Now they want to SUE the workers for not voting them in , UAW membership is declining and they trying to get new members , plus a lot of skill former union members are leaving Detroit and moving to the south . Saw this guy in TV this morning saying he has been getting nasty phone calls all weekend because he vote not to let them in . he said they make $3-$7 more than UAW members and would have to take ah pay cut to be in the union

bktrini305

LMAO oh form the South will never rise again. Please don't tell me you guys have a problem with organized labor?

bktrini305

you mean like teaching unions that protect failing schools and criminal teachers?
no. unions OVERALL that have historically, consistently, and statistically been correlated with improved standard of living for workers in the period of greatest economic growth for most Western Countries.

If I had my way, teachers would be exempt workers and thus their unions would be less powerful. But sadly teachers in this country are poorly trained and paid and constitute a big ignorant and stupid group that has escaped accountability. But UNIONS do way more good than harm. Just like upper management does. Both are necessary.

Seawall

So much ignorance. I belong to a union (graphics, reporters, writers), and though it had been weakened, because of it, our employer has been unable to lay us off at will (without some compensation). Maybe people should go back and study how things were for workers before unions.

IslandmixUSA

Dragon Singh
So much ignorance. I belong to a union (graphics, reporters, writers), and though it had been weakened, because of it, our employer has been unable to lay us off at will (without some compensation). Maybe people should go back and study how things were for workers before unions.
My son unions did well in the past, now they are an ARM of the Democratic Party

Seawall

My son unions did well in the past, now they are an ARM of the Democratic Party
Maybe it's because the repubs re the arm of big business, the rich, and the overt bigots. BTW, I'm an independent who did not vote for Obama, Romney, of anyone for president. People fight down unions while the gap between the classes get wider and wider. Oh yes, the repubs will fix things, the fight for the working class don't they. And the democrats deserve criticism too, but at least they aren't total whores to the ultra rich.

Seawall

Union leaders condemn 'despicable' GOP effort to influence UAW vote | World news | theguardian.com

GOP effort to influence UAW vote
Recriminations fly after Volkswagen employees at Tennessee plant narrowly vote against joining United Auto Workers union

Dan Roberts in Washington
theguardian.com, Monday 17 February 2014 13.34 EST

A failed attempt to extend union recognition into southern manufacturing states erupted in bitter recriminations on Monday as labour leaders across the US accused Republican opponents of “extortion”.

Employees at Volkswagen’s Chattanooga factory in Tennessee voted narrowly against joining the United Auto Workers union despite support from the German company’s largely unionised workforce in the rest of the world.

But warnings from local Republican politicians that recognition would lead to a loss of state subsidies has prompted a sharp attack from several unions, underlining a high-stakes struggle that goes far beyond one car factory.

Union leaders in Washington argue that their declining membership and influence is a major factor behind the decades-long slump in US wage rates and rising social inequality that is increasingly acknowledged as a national problem by both political parties.

Republicans and business lobbyists point to the decline of unionised industrial cities such as Detroit as a reason to oppose efforts to extend labour recognition to thriving manufacturing clusters in traditionally union-free states.

In Tennessee, the campaign against UAW recognition attracted support from conservative activists such as Grover Norquist and the Koch brothers, and warnings from a clutch of local politicians that future Volkswagen investment and state support was at risk if employees voted in favour.

But the vote of 712 to 626 against UAW recognition on Friday evening has led to a clutch of other US unions to speak out, arguing the battle was as an important a milestone as a high-profile campaign against anti-union laws in Wisconsin in 2011.

“The narrow loss in the National Labor Relations Board election Friday would have been just an issue of working Americans exercising their rights if it were not for the despicable interference of Senator Corker, Governor Haslam, Republican state legislators and outsiders like Grover Norquist and the Koch brothers,” the Communication Workers Union said in a statement on Monday.

“These officials will claim that they have free speech rights, whether they are lying or not, or even when they’re engaging in blatant extortion. Chattanooga is the new Madison, Wisconsin.”

Mary Kay Henry, president of the Service Employees International Union, added: “This setback won’t stop working people from continuing to unite for a better future. Whether it’s auto workers, fast food workers, Walmart workers, or healthcare workers, more and more people are joining together at work to make their voices heard.”

US senator Bob Corker said his comments warning that future investment was at stake had been misinterpreted by union activists but welcomed the vote.

“Needless to say, I am thrilled for the employees at Volkswagen and for our community and its future,” he said in a statement.

Volkswagen, which has union members on its parent company supervisory board under German law, has stayed officially neutral throughout the battle and insists its investment decisions are not dependent on union recognition.

But a number of local Republican politicians, including Tennessee state senator Bo Watson, were more explicit in linking the vote to future state subsidies – a factor that would have been hard to ignore as VW decides whether build a new SUV model at the Chattanooga plant or one in Mexico.

“Should the workers at Volkswagen choose to be represented by the United Auto Workers, then I believe any additional incentives from the citizens of the state of Tennessee for expansion or otherwise will have a very tough time passing the Tennessee senate,” said Watson in a press conference before the vote.

Governor Bill Haslam also warned that a vote for recognition could hurt the state’s ability to attract investment from suppliers and other companies.

Haslam said he planned to begin talks with VW over state support for a new model at the plant as soon as this week now that the vote was out of the way.

TOLOMB

Red Man
See the thing about this that is being missed is the people choose be loyal to a cooperation that held firm during the economic slow down. So if your employer provided jobs when there weren't any other major brokers coming to your state/town and then held firm while others out for all profit possible did their cuts...The U.A.W. had no real grounds to stand on. VW isn't underpaying their employees, so what's really to gain from joining the union that has bankrupt Detroit?

Oneshot

where de crix
no. unions OVERALL that have historically, consistently, and statistically been correlated with improved standard of living for workers in the period of greatest economic growth for most Western Countries.

If I had my way, teachers would be exempt workers and thus their unions would be less powerful. But sadly teachers in this country are poorly trained and paid and constitute a big ignorant and stupid group that has escaped accountability. But UNIONS do way more good than harm. Just like upper management does. Both are necessary.
not really.. many improvements in the standard of living were made because of technology improvements, and unions have been detrimental to blacks in south africa, and in the US,

bktrini305

not really.. many improvements in the standard of living were made because of technology improvements, and unions have been detrimental to blacks in south africa, and in the US,
Non of these things would be part of business culture if it weren't for collective bargaining.

Weekends without work - no longer exist for retail workers b.c of lack of unionization
All breaks at work, including your lunch breaks - calculated in Industrial Engineering as "PFD, performance, fatigue, and delay"
Paid vacation
Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Sick leave
Social Security
Minimum wage
Civil Rights Act/Title VII - prohibits employer discrimination
8-hour work day
Overtime pay
Child labor laws
Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
40-hour work week
Workers’ compensation (workers’ comp)
Unemployment insurance
Pensions
Workplace safety standards and regulations
Employer health insurance
Wrongful termination laws
Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA)
Whistleblower protection laws
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) - prohibits employers from using a lie detector test on an employee
Veteran's Employment and Training Services (VETS)
Compensation increases and evaluations (i.e. raises)
Sexual harassment laws
Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
Holiday pay
Employer dental, life, and vision insurance
Privacy rights
Pregnancy and parental leave
Military leave
The right to strike
Public education for children
Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 - requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work
Laws ending sweatshops in the United States

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zhfpBW-nUWk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IslandmixUSA

Dragon Singh
Mr. 305, yuh missing the point. Unions did great in the past to help workers. But the over reach and bankrupt a lot of companies and cities over the years. UAW membership peaked at 1.7 million in the late 70’s now they have about 400K. I could understand if they people working at VW was making less and being treated like shit, but they are making more than UAW members in the north

dedetriniking

Dragon it sounds like you are gloating and this is nothing to gloat about. If the member are being treated better without joining a union then so be it...maybe its the best choice for them. But you guys put too much faith in corporations. without unions it won't be long before we have labor camps in the US. Corporations have a history of bad behavior in this regard. But this is america and the workers are free to do whatever they think is best suited for them.

Seawall

Where do you get your info from, FOX News? What about the role of the Trade unions in the fight for Caribbean independence?

Seawall

Please expand.
Dede, people on here make some of the most uneducated statements. My father was a leader in the bauxite union before he left GT. He's also a big time businessman who works for himself. Maybe he can school some of you about the importance of unions.

Seawall

Mr. 305, yuh missing the point. Unions did great in the past to help workers. But the over reach and bankrupt a lot of companies and cities over the years. UAW membership peaked at 1.7 million in the late 70’s now they have about 400K. I could understand if they people working at VW was making less and being treated like shit, but they are making more than UAW members in the north
Wow, not only are you the mouthpiece for the repubs, but for big business too. I have a multimillionaire in my family that's the waay to the left of you.

IslandmixUSA

Dragon Singh
Wow, not only are you the mouthpiece for the repubs, but for big business too. I have a multimillionaire in my family that's the waay to the left of you.
Mouthpiece LOL : my son please explain why unions are supporting political candidates and not focusing on their members , why some work place are forcing us to join or lose your job . Last year my organization held an event at a venue and the union wanted us to hire 6 people at $25 an hour to supervise my sounds guys hooking up their power supply { $1200 } to watch ah man ?