UAW told to FACK Off by VW Workers

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
Mouthpiece LOL : my son please explain why unions are supporting political candidates and not focusing on their members , why some work place are forcing us to join or lose your job . Last year my organization held an event at a venue and the union wanted us to hire 6 people at $25 an hour to supervise my sounds guys hooking up their power supply { $1200 } to watch ah man ?
Talk about being uninformed lol. Dude unions support candidates that are aligned with their vision, as such they will call on their membership to support said individual when elections come around. What examples do you have of unions not placing their focus on their members? If you have an event at a location where unionized labor is the standard then they will in fact have roles for their members. It might seem frivolous to you but the union in that instance is in fact looking out for their members and as well seeking to ensure that any work done is up to the standard that they require. This way if your company employees taking shortcuts or doing anything off key then it is addressed.

It have plenty ignorance where unions are concerned. Without them many employees could easily be fired on a whim. Some of allyuh does talk as if unions were abolished that employers would be required to keep in place all the positive changes that were accomplished as a result of the labor movement and that is grossly incorrect. Once the current collective bargaining agreement expires and there is no union to protect anyone, employers will have the ability to unilaterally decide everything leaving employees defenseless. Past practice rules wouldn't apply if there is no union to hold anyone accountable.

IslandmixUSA

Dragon Singh
AU , if yuh spit on my jacket , I wipe it off and go back to work . Spit Pon ah NYC bus driver they call ah next bus to pick up passengers and he/she stay home with pay ah few days an up two weeks

Alpha Unit

Insurgent
AU , if yuh spit on my jacket , I wipe it off and go back to work . Spit Pon ah NYC bus driver they call ah next bus to pick up passengers and he/she stay home with pay ah few days an up two weeks
Dat is bullshit yuh talkin dey homie.

dedetriniking

citing abuses and opportunity for abuse is one thing but sounding the death knell for unions...and by extention the protection of workers from unscrupulous corporations and employers is another thing entirely.

TOLOMB

Red Man
first is labor camp and now is "opportunity for abuse".....true catch phrases.

So cooperation's will just ignore the laws and screw there workers over just because....that dam ISO 9000 must mean absolutely nothing to them?

Alpha Unit

Insurgent

So cooperation's will just ignore the laws and screw there workers over just because....that dam ISO 9000 must mean absolutely nothing to them?
You have an overly simplistic view if you think they wont exhaust every moment they have to find loopholes to bypass the law and do as they please.

Oneshot

where de crix
Where do you get your info from, FOX News? What about the role of the Trade unions in the fight for Caribbean independence?
we can not romantize unoins in the US, the same as in the Caribbean, you must admit there are two different entities in principle.

TOLOMB

Red Man
You have an overly simplistic view if you think they wont exhaust every moment they have to find loopholes to bypass the law and do as they please.
Maybe so....I don't plan on working for someone else forever.

If I do end up becoming company man then I'll possibly look at the union seriously....until then I will make this money at will till it runs out without having to gain some outside approval.

Oneshot

where de crix

IslandmixUSA

Dragon Singh
Forced Unionization

February 11, 2010 06:40 AM EST

Michelle Berry runs a day-care business out of her home in Flint, MI. She thought that she owned her own business, but Berry’s been told she is now a government employee and union member. It’s not voluntary. Suddenly, Berry and 40,000 other Michigan private day-care providers have learned that union dues are being taken out of the child-care subsidies the state sends them. The “union” is a creation of AFSCME, the government workers union, and the United Auto Workers.

This racket means big money to AFSCME, which runs the union, writes the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, a free-market think tank.

Today the Department of Human Services siphons about $3.7 million in annual dues to the union….

The money should be going to home-based day-care providers — themselves not on the high end of the income scale. Ms. Berry now sees money once paid to her go to a union that does little for her…

Patrick Wright, a lawyer for the Macknac Center, says the union was forced on the women after a certification election conducted by mail in which only 6,000 day-care providers out of 40,000 voted. Wright told me his clients, like Berry, say they were “shocked” to learn they were suddenly in a union.

They want nothing to do with the union. One of my clients has said, “Look, this is my home, I’m both labor and management here.” They’ve wanted nothing to do with this union and don’t think that it has any purpose besides than to siphon money away from them.

Michigan isn’t the only state funding unions this way. Fourteen states have now enabled home-based day-care providers to be organized into public-employee unions, affecting about 233,000 people.

Oneshot

where de crix
Dede, people on here make some of the most uneducated statements. My father was a leader in the bauxite union before he left GT. He's also a big time businessman who works for himself. Maybe he can school some of you about the importance of unions.
i am not denouncing the importance of unions, but unions need to be held accountable. and the only way to do so is via politics.

do you think mandatory dues is fair?

Oneshot

where de crix
Forced Unionization

February 11, 2010 06:40 AM EST

Michelle Berry runs a day-care business out of her home in Flint, MI. She thought that she owned her own business, but Berry’s been told she is now a government employee and union member. It’s not voluntary. Suddenly, Berry and 40,000 other Michigan private day-care providers have learned that union dues are being taken out of the child-care subsidies the state sends them. The “union” is a creation of AFSCME, the government workers union, and the United Auto Workers.

This racket means big money to AFSCME, which runs the union, writes the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, a free-market think tank.

Today the Department of Human Services siphons about $3.7 million in annual dues to the union….

The money should be going to home-based day-care providers — themselves not on the high end of the income scale. Ms. Berry now sees money once paid to her go to a union that does little for her…

Patrick Wright, a lawyer for the Macknac Center, says the union was forced on the women after a certification election conducted by mail in which only 6,000 day-care providers out of 40,000 voted. Wright told me his clients, like Berry, say they were “shocked” to learn they were suddenly in a union.

They want nothing to do with the union. One of my clients has said, “Look, this is my home, I’m both labor and management here.” They’ve wanted nothing to do with this union and don’t think that it has any purpose besides than to siphon money away from them.

Michigan isn’t the only state funding unions this way. Fourteen states have now enabled home-based day-care providers to be organized into public-employee unions, affecting about 233,000 people.
man.. i tell you i wish i saw your post earlier.

IslandmixUSA

Dragon Singh
Labor in Decline: 1985-2012

There was no chance for labor to win any legislative changes during the administrations of George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and George W. Bush between 1989 and early 2009, a long 20 years for the union movement. But there was a glimmer of hope with the election of Barack Obama to the presidency in 2008, along with a Democratic congress. Labor had one main legislative goal in return for the money and campaign workers it put into the field for Democratic candidates, including Obama. It needed a way to have newly organized unions certified if employers used their very successful strategy of delaying elections for as long as possible while at the same time threatening and supposedly reeducating their workforces. Labor leaders therefore advocated their Employee Free Choice Act, which would instruct corporations to recognize and bargain with unions if a majority of their employees signed a card expressing their desire to be represented by a union (Greenhouse 2008). As a senator, President Obama had voted for a similar (unsuccessful) proposal in 2007, and he expressed his support for the Employee Free Choice Act during his 2008 presidential campaign.

One last gasp

In anticipation of a Congressional vote on the bill in 2009, the corporate community launched a multimillion-dollar media campaign through new lobbying coalitions, with names like Workplace Fairness Institute and the Coalition for a Democratic Workplace, which claimed that the legislation would take away workers' right to vote for or against unionization in a secret ballot. From the union point of view, this claim was especially galling and hypocritical because it was the corporations that did everything they could to block such elections. The president of the National Association of Manufactures, a former Republican governor of Michigan, warned that the unionization of Wal-Mart's 1.4 million workers alone would add $500 million a year in union dues, part of which would be used to support pro-labor Democratic candidates (Greenhouse 2009). "We like driving the car," the CEO of Wal-Mart told stock market analysts in October, 2008, "and we're not going to give the steering wheel to anybody but us" (Kaplan 2009 )

Three Chicago billionaires that had backed President Obama's first presidential campaign, all of them with interests in hotels that unions were trying to organize, let it be known to him that they opposed the bill. One of them was Penny Pritzker, one of the 250 richest Americans in 2008 and Obama's National Campaign Finance chair; more generally, her extended family owned the Global Hyatt and had an estimated worth of $15-20 billiion. Another hotel investor had raised $160,000 as a bundler. The 83-year-old patriarch of another super-rich family spoke out against the pro-union legislation in a published interview. However, even while doing so, he emphasized that he still supported Obama and added, "I think the world of him. This doesn't have anything to do with other relationships" (Lippert and Rosenkrantz 2009).

Meanwhile, while all this was going on, the 41 Republican senators remaining in the Senate after the large Democratic gains in 2008 announced they would not support new labor legislation, and three Democrats said they would not support it either. Since only 41 votes were needed to sustain a filibuster, the bill never came up for a vote.

dedetriniking

Dude corporations have cadres of lawyers to find ways around laws. Trust me if there is a loophole around a law corporations will find it and use it forthwith if it improves their bottom line.

TOLOMB

Red Man
Dude corporations have cadres of lawyers to find ways around laws. Trust me if there is a loophole around a law corporations will find it and use it forthwith if it improves their bottom line.
So the union is there just to maintain the Status Quo .... That's a progressive way to look at things...

IslandmixUSA

Dragon Singh
LOL at this clown

Timothy Noah, a contributing writer for MSNBC, raised eyebrows yesterday by suggesting that race was a factor in a recent vote by Tennessee auto workers against unionization.

The Volkswagen plant employees in Chattanooga voted 712 to 626 against joining the United Auto Workers Union.

"The opposition, I gather, portrayed this as a kind of Northern invasion, a re-fighting of the Civil War. Apparently there are not a lot of black employees in this particular plant, and so that kind of - waving the Confederate flag - was an effective strategy," said Noah.

IslandmixUSA

Dragon Singh
<script type="text/javascript" charset="UTF-8" src="http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/portableplayer/?cmsID=246092931&videoID=u4UpFmhsN6Dr&origin=nbcphiladelphia.com&sec=news&subsec=local&width=600&height=360"></script>

Federal prosecutors accuse a local Philadelphia union of using "goon squads" to target construction sites not using union workers.

"This will not be tolerated. It's not the way to do business here in Philadelphia," said U.S. Attorney Zane David Memeger.

On Tuesday morning, Memeger announced that more than 100 FBI agents, prosecutors and Philadelphia Police officers teamed up to arrest 10 members of Ironworkers Local Union 401.

The indictment against members of Local 401 accuses some of the suspects of using baseball bats, torching a future religious site and threats of violence to induce employers to hire union workers.
Related Stories

"The defendants used 'goon squads,' which included union members and associates who committed assaults, arsons and other violent and destructive acts, to make their point emphatically clear," said Memeger. "That point, to any contractor or builder, was, 'You better hire local ironworker union members, or you will pay a heavy price.'"

One group even alleged called themselves "'THUG' -- The Helpful Union Guys," according to Memeger.

The union's treasurer and business manager Joseph Dougherty, city business agent Edward Sweeney and county business agent Christopher Prophet were among those arrested.

Local Union Members Accused of Violent Intimidation | NBC 10 Philadelphia

Last edited: