What answers do you know?

Poca

How many countries are in the Americas?
How many languages are spoken there?
What's the total population?

don't get me wrong, I understand that because these kids are African descends that somehow they should be highly interested and know about Africa but, I am saying that it is definitely not the end of the world that they do not. Considering how many view Africa and the disdain anything African brings to some, their ignorance is excusable.

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers

don't get me wrong, I understand that because these kids are African descends that somehow they should be highly interested and know about Africa but, I am saying that it is definitely not the end of the world that they do not. Considering how many view Africa and the disdain anything African brings to some, their ignorance is excusable.
yea but poca.. would you blurt out something like Alaska is part of Russia in 2013?

Poca

No me, but you folks seem to forget that it's Americans that we are talking about. They are black, but still Americans.

bktrini305

I see it differently because to me there is a practical and real consequence to their lack of knowledge. We have popular involvement in government in most of the places we come from. It was the ignorance of Americans that led them, after being attacked by 19 (mostly) Saudi religious fundamentalists, to be fooled into using the majority of their government's expenditure in formerly secular, areligious, Iraq.

I could probably sit down and list the number of countries in the Americas, but then I consider myself to be more knowledgeable than average in THAT particular area (i did a lot of geography). But the amount of languages would escape me because there are thousands, as in Africa, not 4, 10 and 20 like those Top Tier University students were answering. If you don't know that there are thousands of languages (and thus, ethnicities) in Africa, how can you know the reasons for the conflicts there? Are your computer's diamonds conflict free? the coffee you drink, is it Fair Trade? I didn't expect all perfect answers but at least answers that were quantifiably closer to the truth.

bktrini305

No me, but you folks seem to forget that it's Americans that we are talking about. They are black, but still Americans.
THAT i can agree with. i just think these are supposed to be elite, knowledge-wise, people whose decisions will one day affect policy.

Poca

The thing is the school system is less and less focus on general knowledge. It's all about gaining some particular basis knowledge and be channeled into one specific field.

I see it differently because to me there is a practical and real consequence to their lack of knowledge. We have popular involvement in government in most of the places we come from. It was the ignorance of Americans that led them, after being attacked by 19 (mostly) Saudi religious fundamentalists, to be fooled into using the majority of their government's expenditure in formerly secular, areligious, Iraq.

I could probably sit down and list the number of countries in the Americas, but then I consider myself to be more knowledgeable than average in THAT particular area (i did a lot of geography). But the amount of languages would escape me because there are thousands, as in Africa, not 4, 10 and 20 like those Top Tier University students were answering. If you don't know that there are thousands of languages (and thus, ethnicities) in Africa, how can you know the reasons for the conflicts there? Are your computer's diamonds conflict free? the coffee you drink, is it Fair Trade? I didn't expect all perfect answers but at least answers that were quantifiably closer to the truth.

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
The problem is in america kids are only taught to pass specific tests....because test scores determine school funding...so knowledge is not the end goal

rayt2009

Radiant Silvergun
To about 90-95% of public educators, kids are nothing more than numbers, dollars, and cents. Nothing more and nothing less. The more kids a school have and the more "well" they do, the more funding that the school and overall public school district / charter organization gathers in money. In other words, phuck what ya kids is learning. They trying to get paid.