What comes to mind when you see this pic??

ladyrastafari

Notchilous

how does this pic tie into your life? were you the girl, the mother/hairdresser, the onlooker?

caption
"Some traditions should not be carried forward or updated/ if they are/ it is a clear sign/ mentally / we are still in trouble / period
"

MadamStatuesque

I can only be me....
i went thru that shit and it never worked. my mom permed me young but thankfully my hair never went to hell and im able to be natural now.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
Rasta lady, was that ever done to you?

no... never had my hair pressed.. saw soembody pressing my friend's hair though.. i found it looked particularly dangerous... and the smoke as the comb touched the greased hair.. didn't help to reduce that feeling..

Taj

Loyalty to Loyalty
nothing in particular - little girl getting her hair pressed *shrug*

as to the person's quote I think they're being dramatic.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
dramatic in wht way taj?

i thought they were just trying to say that in this day and age, that certain things shouldnt still be perpetuated, and if they still are, then all this "natural" stuff is just a phase...

Taj

Loyalty to Loyalty
dramatic in wht way taj?

i thought they were just trying to say that in this day and age, that certain things shouldnt still be perpetuated, and if they still are, then all this "natural" stuff is just a phase...
well I'm separating it from whatever "natural stuff phase" you mentioned, that wasn't in consideration when I made my comment.

What is it they're really opposed to the act of pressing or the method they're using to go about it? Or the option that her hair shouldn't even be straight even temporarily?

"Some traditions should not be carried forward or updated/ if they are/ it is a clear sign/ mentally / we are still in trouble / period
just so i don't have to keep scrolling to reread it

dollbabi

Earth Angel
dramatic in wht way taj?

Well, pressing hair achieves the same result as blowdrying/flat ironing. So it's not necessarily a big deal for someone to get her hair pressed. This girl is simply too young.

*Sugarr*

first thing i thought was the girl is really cute. I think what ppl do with their childs hair is their own damn business....shes not getting a perm just her hair straightened...Jesus Christ....someone take this energy and go figure out why lil kids get Cancer, something more serious.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
So only kids of a certain age should wear straight hair? what if they were born with straight hair?
Aren't we speaking about the process of straightening a child's hair who doesn't have curly hair? Children born with straight hair are not relevant to this discussion. Anyway, I do feel that the heat is much for a little child. Maybe when they get a bit older.

S

sharkie

My best friend just pissed me off because she got a blow out on my 2 1/2 yr old goddaughter for a pageant. I just wanted to scream at all the things she was doing wrong.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
well I'm separating it from whatever "natural stuff phase" you mentioned, that wasn't in consideration when I made my comment.

What is it they're really opposed to the act of pressing or the method they're using to go about it? Or the option that her hair shouldn't even be straight even temporarily?

just so i don't have to keep scrolling to reread it
hmm good point.. seems like they saying.. back in the day, when there was more pressure on black women to conform and "do " somethign bout their natural texture, peopel resorted to these methods... and now that black women are finally getting the courage to wear their hair the way it grows then these thinsg should be put behind them.. but as to the second part. it might simply be the act of pressing her hair... as in leave her hair alone and let it grow the way it should grow.. teach her to love her hair the way it is..

Well, pressing hair achieves the same result as blowdrying/flat ironing. So it's not necessarily a big deal for someone to get her hair pressed. This girl is simply too young.
true... i used to hair tht constant pressign breaks the bonds in your hair so it would eventually be dead (straight and limp)... and yea, she cud be a lil on the young side.. maybe it was a special event...

first thing i thought was the girl is really cute. I think what ppl do with their childs hair is their own damn business....shes not getting a perm just her hair straightened...Jesus Christ....someone take this energy and go figure out why lil kids get Cancer, something more serious.
well that's true, but some folks relax nd put chemicals in their young kids hair... i've seen babies 3 and under with relaxed hair and all you can say is "damn.."..
So only kids of a certain age should wear straight hair? what if they were born with straight hair?
if they were born with straight hair, what would they need to press it otu for??

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
Aren't we speaking about the process of straightening a child's hair who doesn't have curly hair? Children born with straight hair are not relevant to this discussion. Anyway, I do feel that the heat is much for a little child. Maybe when they get a bit older.

my sentiment exactly.. why would a child with straight hair get a pressing comb treatment? makes no sense.. zip zilch..

Nica

SAINTSational
I see the pic and I think... oh a lil girl getting her hair pressed... ok. We don't know if this is a weekly thing or if it's for some occasion. Once the child's hair is washed it goes back to normal.