What do you think of this reporter's position?

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
Joel Stein on Immigration, New Jersey's Indian Influx - TIME

This is an old article but it is new to me....

I lived in Jersey for a little while and I know this neighborhood. It is like Jackson Heights but less congested and with three times as many people. This was on the facebook page of my friend's relative.

Eventually, there were enough Indians in Edison to change the culture. At which point my townsfolk started calling the new Edisonians "dot heads." One kid I knew in high school drove down an Indian-dense street yelling for its residents to "go home to India." In retrospect, I question just how good our schools were if "dot heads" was the best racist insult we could come up with for a group of people whose gods have multiple arms and an elephant nose.

Unlike previous waves of immigrants, who couldn't fly home or Skype with relatives, Edison's first Indian generation didn't quickly assimilate (and give their kids Western names). But if you look at the current Facebook photos of students at my old high school, J.P. Stevens, which would be very creepy of you, you'll see that, while the population seems at least half Indian, a lot of them look like the Italian Guidos I grew up with in the 1980s: gold chains, gelled hair, unbuttoned shirts. In fact, they are called Guindians. Their assimilation is so wonderfully American that if the Statue of Liberty could shed a tear, she would. Because of the amount of cologne they wear.

Read more: Joel Stein on Immigration, New Jersey's Indian Influx - TIME Joel Stein on Immigration, New Jersey's Indian Influx - TIME