Why didn’t the New York Times publish the exposé they commissioned of virulent racism

Seawall

Some weeks ago, I brought up the topic of illegal Chinese gold miners in Ghana with my Ghanaian friend. Well, he didn't respond right away, so I continued with comments about the degradation of the environment due to the mining. He then became pissed and responded that no one will respect Africans as long as we go around begging from everyone. And who brought the Chinese to Ghana. Wasn't it corrupt Ghanaian politicians? Likewise, it is corrupt Guyanese politicians that bring the Chinese to exploit the country's resources. In the end, the common man doesn't see any benefit. Things in Senegal, Somalia, Guyana, or China will not change without struggle. Though I feel that Israel is stolen land and a settler state, it is still their country. People will always migrate for better opportunities, but someone has to stay home and throw these rulers out. Sounds simplistic, but it's the only way.

Why didn’t the New York Times publish the exposé they commissioned of virulent racism against Africans in Israel?
ELLIOT ROSS | OCTOBER 21ST, 2013

We’ve written plenty on this blog about the worsening levels of violent racism against Africans in Israel. This time last year Olufemi Terry reflected on a comment by the Israeli immigration minister: “This country belongs to us, to the white man.” Last summer Miri Regev, an MP, told a rally “the Sudanese are like a cancer in our body.”

David Sheen and Max Blumenthal’s reporting has been vital in bringing the appalling situation to international attention, which is why it was great news when the New York Times commissioned a film from the pair on this topic for their well-known “Op-Doc” series. The film was made and then canned. For some reason, the New York Times wouldn’t publish it (it eventually wound up on The Nation).

Yesterday on Twitter we asked the curator of the “Op-Doc” series, Jason Spingarn-Koff, for an explanation. If he or Kathleen Lingo, the editor who solicited the video for NYT, ever gets back to us, we’ll publish their response below. When a commissioned piece gets “killed” it’s customary for contributors to receive an explanation for this, but Max Blumenthal told us Spingarn-Koff refused to explain why he wouldn’t be carrying the exposé.

The film can still be seen, but of course it would have got far more viewers had it been carried on the NYT and the appalling treatment of Africans in Israel would have been far harder for the extreme right-wing Israeli government to brush off. (Incidentally, some of the most shocking scenes in Blumenthal and Sheen’s film had already appeared on AIAC in Talya Swissa’s post on Netanyahu’s re-election and the racist demonstrations that took place in Tel Aviv in December.) The NYT has a decidedly mixed record of reporting on this issue. In a 2011 article, their reporter Ethan Bronner twice used the term “infiltrators” in his own prose, without quotation marks — it’s now the official term used in Israel for African migrants.

Here’s Blumenthal’s explanation of what went down (via ElectronicIntifada):

I was asked to submit something by The New York Times op docs, a new section on the website that published short video documentaries. I am known for short video documentaries about the right wing in the US, and extremism in Israel. They solicited a video from me, and when I didn’t produce it in time, they called me for it, saying they wanted it. So I sent them a video I produced with my colleague, David Sheen, an Israeli journalist who is covering the situation of non-Jewish Africans in Israel more extensively than any journalist in the world.

We put together some shocking footage of pogroms against African communities in Tel Aviv, and interviews with human rights activists. I thought it was a well-done documentary about a situation very few Americans were familiar with. We included analysis. We tailored it to their style, and of course it was rejected without an explanation after being solicited. I sent it to some other major websites and they have not even responded to me, when they had often solicited articles from me in the past.

Here is the video:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dPxv4Aff3IA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
All people are racist towards us- Asians, whites, Jews, Latinos, etc. This is why I hate it when Blacks do things to destroy themselves (marijuana, obesity, violence, etc.) and when there is infighting (BW are terrorists, Jamaicans are---, etc.)

Anyway, I was in Israel right after a big racial attack last year. I look Black and several people warned me not to go.

Its so weird that the Shoah was just a few decades ago and they have no guilt about being racist....

Mr. Friday

nothing new there...like alyuh en realise Israel and Jews could do as dey please without any backlash...

bktrini305

This just speaks to a much larger issue

Black people are so not like the Jews. We have Atlanta, Morehouse and Spellman (my computer says i spelled those words wrong, indicating that they're not even that well known for anything) and they run things in most of the elite Universities in the most prestigious University system of the last century, that of the United States. Where the most massive elements of the periodic table are named after places and Universities run by Jews we can only brag about ONE open heart surgery because most of the rest of the US Native population going to medical school is Jewish. We can say we invented the refrigerator and the Stoplight for Jewish people in GE to improve on and sell.

Jews have been under attack everywhere they've been since the Habbirous decided to scam Pharaoh. (yes thats closer to the truth, not what your little desert book made form ganja wrap says about the burning bush) and somehow they just got more and more powerful. Look how they got the British to give them their own country and the Americans to prop it up. Why isn't Liberia as well funded??? Everything that happens in those two countries is a result of what happens in this one. Israel's human rights violations are our problem and black people in THIS country do nothing of intelligence to change what is going on.