Why do Dominicans hate being called Black?

Tatakai

I heard they keep insisting that they are 'triracial' rather than following the one-drop rule of Anglo-Saxon/Germanic influenced nations liked T&T, Barbados, Canada, United States, British WI etc. That's understandable as Latin cultures of Spain and Portugal ex-colonies didn't really care about as much as the English or Dutch colonizers did, but what strange to me is how Dominicans hate other black people and get emotional if you call them dark skinned (not black!).

A.K.K.S.

Dominicans are Mulatto-ish Triracials on average. Something like 50% West Eurasian/"Caucasoid", 43% West/Central/Southeast African and 7% Native/Taino.

There are some that are predominantly African, but the majority are predominantly non-African/West Eurasian/"Caucasoid". There are even quite a few individuals who have more native ancestry than African.

I would say a Dominican who has a similar ancestry like myself (76% African, 14% European and 10% Native) might identify as Black or Triracial. And they are free to do so.

sankofaa

dominicans are tri racial, nothing wrong with them identifying as such, i dont like seeing bernie mac colored negroes in panama saying they aint black though thats some bs. Its mainly panyas tho.

A.K.K.S.

dominicans are tri racial, nothing wrong with them identifying as such, i dont like seeing bernie mac colored negroes in panama saying they aint black though thats some bs. Its mainly panyas tho.
Do the colonial Afro-Panyas act as if they aren't black in Panamá? I know the West Indian descendants don't act like that.

Tatakai

Dominicans are Mulatto-ish Triracials on average. Something like 50% West Eurasian/"Caucasoid", 43% West/Central/Southeast African and 7% Native/Taino.

There are some that are predominantly African, but the majority are predominantly non-African/West Eurasian/"Caucasoid". There are even quite a few individuals who have more native ancestry than African.

I would say a Dominican who has a similar ancestry like myself (76% African, 14% European and 10% Native) might identify as Black or Triracial. And they are free to do so.
But their hostility to blacks are not normal. I even saw an Black Dominican guy get emotional when an Jamaican guy 'what's up bro' because he thought it was 'black talk'. They say 11% of Dominica is black officially, LOL I been to SD.

dollbabi

Earth Angel
The reason is because Dominicans are largely mixed people.

Just to add, T&T does not follow the one-drop rule and has both Anglo and Latin influence.

But their hostility to blacks are not normal. I even saw an Black Dominican guy get emotional when an Jamaican guy 'what's up bro' because he thought it was 'black talk'. They say 11% of Dominica is black officially, LOL I been to SD.
The Dominican Republic and Dominica are two different countries.

TTCLIFEMEMBER

everyday working man
I heard they keep insisting that they are 'triracial' rather than following the one-drop rule of Anglo-Saxon/Germanic influenced nations liked T&T, Barbados, Canada, United States, British WI etc. That's understandable as Latin cultures of Spain and Portugal ex-colonies didn't really care about as much as the English or Dutch colonizers did, but what strange to me is how Dominicans hate other black people and get emotional if you call them dark skinned (not black!).
This isn't unique to DR people. Trust me. There are a lot of blacks from other countries who hate other blacks and get angry if you call them dark. Come to think of it, a lot of people who aren't black (Indian, Chinese, etc...) have a problem with dark skin too.

Either way, the DR is not seen as a great example of a society to follow and I'm happy about that.

tikreyol

Got Kompa?
Again? SMH

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6RlG4b3LV9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CmeYah

Look what that Somali Kat got y'all talking about now. Dominicans will never change..it's woven too deep into the very fabric of their society. Either either way, I blame it on that part hatiano Trujillo. He's the one that incited hatred and contempt not just for the hatians but among his very own people.

Somali

Banned
Look what that Somali Kat got y'all talking about now. Dominicans will never change..it's woven too deep into the very fabric of their society. Either either way, I blame it on that part hatiano Trujillo. He's the one that incited hatred and contempt not just for the hatians but among his very own people.
No one wants to be Black. The Black race is doomed, even black men are running after non black women, mostly whites and biracials

It's the natural way of things, evolution in the works as we speak.

tikreyol

Got Kompa?
The anti Haitian sentiment began before Trujillo.