Why Do West Indians Get Along With Southern AA's and Not Northern Ones?

MJ7

This has been a quandary for me for a long time...but I'm just going to ask the question today.

There are many West Indians moving down south and I just don't see the animosity toward the southern Black people as I have witnessed in the north.

I will note that West Indians, more than any group, remind me so much of southern Black people. It's eerie sometimes...
What is the difference?

What do you say?

bktrini305

If that's true (being from miami/brooklyn i sort of disagree) the reasons would likely be

Similar culture, church, family structure, conservative values, food. What's been done to caribbean people and southern AAs is overt, simple, the more its studied, the more messed up it seems, period. What's been done to northern blacks is insidious, and complicated. People tend to downplay or at least have differing opinions on what exactly happened in places like harlem and chicago etc.

From my experience though, southern blacks are less likely, as the non-immigrant, more dominant group to be accepting/aware of cultural differences with west indians.

As i see it, in miami, there is socioeconomic disconnect that isn't there in New York. AAs are generally kinda hood in miami, and apart from bahamians and haitians, west indians generally aren't. whereas in NY anybody can be hood anybody can be uptown. Granted, miami isn't really a chocolate city like atl or dc or ny.

MJ7

If that's true (being from miami/brooklyn i sort of disagree) the reasons would likely be

Similar culture, church, family structure, conservative values, food. What's been done to caribbean people and southern AAs is overt, simple, the more its studied, the more messed up it seems, period. What's been done to northern blacks is insidious, and complicated. People tend to downplay or at least have differing opinions on what exactly happened in places like harlem and chicago etc.

From my experience though, southern blacks are less likely, as the non-immigrant, more dominant group to be accepting/aware of cultural differences with west indians.

As i see it, in miami, there is socioeconomic disconnect that isn't there in New York. AAs are generally kinda hood in miami, and apart from bahamians and haitians, west indians generally aren't. whereas in NY anybody can be hood anybody can be uptown. Granted, miami isn't really a chocolate city like atl or dc or ny.
There are many WI's in Miami I know...but from personal experience; I do see southern AA's (who can be very xenophobic) unless you're family; they will form great friendships with WI's and vice versa. There are many similarities as I said...and this perhaps creates the bonds moreso.

However, if you're an AA from up north, such as Brooklyn, Newark, Philly, et al; WI's tend to be more critical of their experiences with AA's there.

As I've always said; AA's are not just in the northeast. Don't measure us all by those standards.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
west indians and southern aas may both be used to a slower pace of life, built around an extraordinary preoccupation with religion, other people's goings and comings, family life, etc.. while northern aas may be attuned to a faster life, a more solitary/disconnected existence, less religious outpourings and more individuality as a whole...

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
I have never noticed this but I don't interact with many AAs.

I would agree that they are more like us down South. And there is not as much overcrowding so people in general are not so angry all the time....

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen

I would agree that they are more like us down South. And there is not as much overcrowding so people in general are not so angry all the time....
how can one live in america and not interact with AAs?.....that seems off to me

N

NaturalBornRidah

So overcrowding is an excuse to be mad?Most major cities and metros in the US are overcrowded, yet they don't suffer from the same hostilities and ignorance as the NE.

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
So overcrowding is an excuse to be mad?Most major cities and metros in the US are overcrowded, yet they don't suffer from the same hostilities and ignorance as the NE.
No. I just find that people in larger cities are generally more tense and on edge. Even if you compare a small town in the Caribbean to a large city. Have you lived in or visited very small villages or towns? Think back to that to figure out what I mean. It has nothing to do with race and was just an observation.

And crowded to someone in Atlanta is space to someone in Brooklyn. It is all relative. My friend from India, said that when I go India, I will know what crowded is. Do you understand?

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
Are you serious?

There are people who live in the United States in 2013 and have never met an African American. I see them every day obviously but I do not interact with any in a meaningful way these days.

Where I live there are almost none, where I work there are almost none, among my friends, there are almost none where I party there are almost none, etc.

What do you not understand?????

LIONESS onda RISE

Are you serious?

There are people who live in the United States in 2013 and have never met an African American. I see them every day obviously but I do not interact with any in a meaningful way these days.

Where I live there are almost none, where I work there are almost none, among my friends, there are almost none where I party there are almost none, etc.

What do you not understand?????
In NY? Suuuuuuurrrreee!!!!

LIONESS onda RISE

What r u guys doing up? And posting?

I'm about to witness my nephew's grand entrance into the world!!! 9.5 cent dilated.. Just a lil more and baby time... YAY!!!

Oh to the girl comments.... Silliness!!

SKBai1991

not really...I rarely interact with AA's and I live in New York. Most everyone I know is either West Indian or Latino.

In NY? Suuuuuuurrrreee!!!!
New York is actually pretty insular. People here tend to stick to their own neighbourhoods and social circles so it's very common for people to not know people of other ethnic groups besides their own, ESPECIALLY in working-class neighbourhoods and ethnic enclaves. When I went college I met people who born and grew up in Brooklyn and never knew any Black people, or grew up in Manhattan and never knew any White people, etc. My neighbourhood is mostly West Indian, the school I went to most of the Black kids were West Indian or Haitian, and the college and grad school I went to most of the Black people were either West Indian or African. I really don't know that many African Americans and the ones I do know moved here from Philly, Chicago, ATL, etc.

N

NaturalBornRidah

:rofl:
Yall fools are constantly coming up with some bogus shit.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
on the real though.. why is it so hard for y'all to believe that people can live in the US and not interact with African Americans?? thats not far fetched at all... but the context of the word "interact" must be examined though.. do you mean see, maybe say hello etc.. or do you mean have MEANINGFUL interaction with like invite to home, go to home, have a beer after work... share personal info with.. to the first its dubious, to the second it is entirely possible...

its quite possible for somebody to come here from another country and have NO african american friends.. none.. they might live in an ethnic neighborhood made up of their regional counterparts.. they might work in the same type of environment and they might socialize in areas where they may not come across a lot of african americans.. it's possible.. even in college you see that..

SKBai1991

on the real though.. why is it so hard for y'all to believe that people can live in the US and not interact with African Americans?? thats not far fetched at all... but the context of the word "interact" must be examined though.. do you mean see, maybe say hello etc.. or do you mean have MEANINGFUL interaction with like invite to home, go to home, have a beer after work... share personal info with.. to the first its dubious, to the second it is entirely possible...

its quite possible for somebody to come here from another country and have NO african american friends.. none.. they might live in an ethnic neighborhood made up of their regional counterparts.. they might work in the same type of environment and they might socialize in areas where they may not come across a lot of african americans.. it's possible.. even in college you see that..
Exactly. If it have spanish people living here 30 years and can't speak a lick of english, why is it so shocking that someone could live here and not really know that many African Americans? Especially if you don't live around them or work with them

Collie4Nyah

Ganjalero
Exactly. If it have spanish people living here 30 years and can't speak a lick of english, why is it so shocking that someone could live here and not really know that many African Americans? Especially if you don't live around them or work with them
Likewise, why is it so difficult to understand that some ppl tend to interact with more diverse groups of ppl, and can't relate to what you are saying?