Why do you think Soca was able to survive 5 decades and continue to grow stronger?

70's, 80's,90's,2000's and 2010's

right now the genre has a bigger reach than ever with so much influences all over the region and beyond

what allowed the genre to hold steady and even expand while other genres died along the way or never had such a reach

maybe its because its tied to carnival?

dedetriniking

right now the genre has a bigger reach than ever with so much influences all over the region and beyond

what allowed the genre to hold steady and even expand while other genres died along the way or never had such a reach

Because its deep in a culture. Trends will come and go but something that is embedded in culture is very difficult to remove.

The same goes for Calypso. It's popularity will fade in and out but it won't easily disappear.

Socapro

Repect Our Soca Pioneers
Soca is part of our culture and culture only dies if the people all abandon their culture.

Reggae Dancehall is similar to soca and has been going strong from the 70's til now while evolving and incorporating the latest music trends.

trinifrombx

you sir is a hypocrite, for years you bashing we thing, now you a soca , carnival pro , I aint buying nothing you have to say about wi ting !

trinifrombx

you are a fool, period to end
You Bihomos crack you me up, like I said, year after year you came in here and diss our ting, you not into carnival, you not into soca , you not into women, so why the hell you in here like you some reformist, you ain't, you is a hater and a joker like that VP, I am not even sure you is a Trini, either way, I ain't buying into your B.S. About you care about Wi ting now !

dedetriniking

You Bihomos crack you me up, like I said, year after year you came in here and diss our ting, you not into carnival, you not into soca , you not into women, so why the hell you in here like you some reformist, you ain't, you is a hater and a joker like that VP, I am not even sure you is a Trini, either way, I ain't buying into your B.S. About you care about Wi ting now !
:grin:

Carib2

I agree its because its tied into a culture deeply. Its not like those other music genres that will just get abandoned.

tikreyol

Got Kompa?
As long as there is Carnival there will be Soca. That is unless they replace it with something else.