Why is Guyana part of the West Indies?

SugahKane Barbie

Holdin de Traffik
When I looked up Guyana it says a South American country.When I looked up West Indies it wasn't one of the countires listed. So why do people consider it to be part West Indies? (I was thinking because of cultural similarities)

Angie Fyah

Puma Power Posse-NY
I've always wondered the same thing..they are in south america....can someone refresh my memory is it because they were british ruled?

VictoriaECD

Guyana, along with Suriname and Brazil, is one of the three non-Hispanic nations in South America. Guyana's culture is very similar to that of the English-speaking Caribbean, to the extent that Guyana is included and accepted as a Caribbean nation and is a founder member of the Caricom (Caribbean Community) economic bloc and also the home of the Bloc's HeadQuarters the Caricom Secretariat.

L O S T
lol Im just asking because someone (non west indian) asked me yesterday and I could not give them an answer. so I was hoping someone here could tell me dais all
hmm wait for oto,vp,fiyah,bakes,val,toppa...
get done with this thread

should be sometime friday afternoon :grin:

SugahKane Barbie

Holdin de Traffik
Guyana, along with Suriname and Brazil, is one of the three non-Hispanic nations in South America. Guyana's culture is very similar to that of the English-speaking Caribbean, to the extent that Guyana is included and accepted as a Caribbean nation and is a founder member of the Caricom (Caribbean Community) economic bloc and also the home of the Bloc's HeadQuarters the Caricom Secretariat.
o ok Thanx

PTM

Stolen from Africa
LOOOOOOOOOOOONG story.

The abbreviated form of it has to do with colonialism. The former European colonies in the west were known as British/Dutch/French etc. West Indies (including Virginia). Most lost that status/name over time. It really stuck with those that were British. Therefore, the Bahamas, Bermuda, Belize, the English speaking Caribbean and Guyana were all know as the British West Indies. Bermuda, the Bahamas and Belize have been trying over the years to distance themselves from this name because the West Indies have become synonomous with being Caribbean and those three are quick to point out that they are not Caribbean.

VINCYPOWA

Registered Member
When I looked up Guyana it says a South American country.When I looked up West Indies it wasn't one of the countires listed. So why do people consider it to be part West Indies? (I was thinking because of cultural similarities)
COLONIAL MASTER of the DAY in Guyana was the BRITISH, thus its CONNECTION and ASSOCIATION with the BRITISH WEST INDIES.

Ohhhhhhhhh yeahhhhhhhh

mz_JazE

Southern Belle
LOOOOOOOOOOOONG story.

The abbreviated form of it has to do with colonialism. The former European colonies in the west were known as British/Dutch/French etc. West Indies (including Virginia). Most lost that status/name over time. It really stuck with those that were British. Therefore, the Bahamas, Bermuda, Belize, the English speaking Caribbean and Guyana were all know as the British West Indies. Bermuda, the Bahamas and Belize have been trying over the years to distance themselves from this name because the West Indies have become synonomous with being Caribbean and those three are quick to point out that they are not Caribbean.
The Bahamas knows it's located in the Carribean, just doesn't want to be put in the same group as WI (not a word for word quote from a Bahamian dood, who finally answered this question). Now as for Belize I would have to holler at my girl, and I have no idea about Bermuda except that I want to go there.

elq

Cleophus aka pupah lashie
stop lying tuh de chile....
wunna only included cuz wunna mek some wikked chow mein...
and got de bess gole bangles and gole teetz

not one blade of grass!
.....bout caricom secretariat .steups
bwwwwwaaaaaahaahahahahahahaahahaha

VictoriaECD

stop lying tuh de chile....
wunna only included cuz wunna mek some wikked chow mein...
and got de bess gole bangles and gole teetz

not one blade of grass!
.....bout caricom secretariat .steups
bwwwwwaaaaaahaahahahahahahaahahaha
:lol.....what you know bout chow mein?