Why is Haitian/French music so loving and romantic while Anglo Caribbean

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
haha.. the haitian mafia come out to the zouk thread lol..

but yea i prefer kizomba to the kreyol zouk.. Portuguese sounds better to me... this is one of my favorite songs..

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/YomccCQyP5k?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/YomccCQyP5k?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

tikreyol

Got Kompa?
haha.. the haitian mafia come out to the zouk thread lol..

but yea i prefer kizomba to the kreyol zouk.. Portuguese sounds better to me... this is one of my favorite songs..

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/YomccCQyP5k?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/YomccCQyP5k?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
wow she's gorgeous. she reminds me of a past Miss Angola. Her voice is smooth.

Klang

Real Patriot
i believe this is the single biggest kizomba song that crossed over into the zouk market, at least in dominica, this song was played religiously. still brings back memories

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PADl0MRFeDo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SKBai1991

that is bouyon...totally diff genre
1) You all technically are part of the francophone caribbean since your traditional culture was (and still is) creole, not english.

2) they're talking about why french caribbean people play music which is sensual, etc and I'm just pointing out that nowadays that isn't always the case anymore. Bouyon and Dancehall are big in Guadeloupe and Martinique and can be just as raunchy there as anywhere else.

Klang

Real Patriot
1) You all technically are part of the francophone caribbean since your traditional culture was (and still is) creole, not english.

2) they're talking about why french caribbean people play music which is sensual, etc and I'm just pointing out that nowadays that isn't always the case anymore. Bouyon and Dancehall are big in Guadeloupe and Martinique and can be just as raunchy there as anywhere else.
ok true

Poca

IMO, I think what really differentiate kizomba is the dance. The fusion between salsa and zouk, kole sere dancing. Other than that it has the same vibe as zouk in the 90s before the whole zouk luv beat.

Aquinhaiti4ever

Ladyrastafi in Haiti all the radio stations that's all they playing kompa/Zouk most of them popular Zouk artist colabo with Kompa artist Kassav the most popular Zouk group was big in Haiti kreyol Hip Hop that's a new shit now in Haiti

Carib2

Well in Europe British people (Anglos) are associated with a much rougher, cold uptight type of culture similar to other Germanic countries. While Frenchculture is much softer, friendly and as someone said before more "romantic"
The fact Anglo culture is more rougher may reflect in our culture or in this case music. Even calypso, it doesn't sound as soft and loving as zouk kompa etc...

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
Ladyrastafi in Haiti all the radio stations that's all they playing kompa/Zouk most of them popular Zouk artist colabo with Kompa artist Kassav the most popular Zouk group was big in Haiti kreyol Hip Hop that's a new shit now in Haiti
they all speak kreyol right? so that would make sense lol... i like the way the lusophones sound over the beat

Aquinhaiti4ever

Me that's what I speak, but some places you go Haiti you speak in creole they're acting like they don't understand you when you start pulling the green dollar bills everybody speaks creole

N

NaturalBornRidah

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DIHkopJeyn4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I kinda dig this song.

Poca

Let's not forget that we've always had other types of music. Konpa is only one type we have and I assume that it's the same for the soul islands. The diference could be that our people appreciate all the different genre we have.

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
Me that's what I speak, but some places you go Haiti you speak in creole they're acting like they don't understand you when you start pulling the green dollar bills everybody speaks creole
I don't understand. What are they speaking? French? English?
Why don't they speak creole? And why would the US dollar change it?

jamaicangirl

Boonoonoonoos
Actually, this is an interesting question.

I used to date a Haitian guy who took me to Haitian parties and I noticed the same thing. I was already familiar (to an extent) with the music but I was surprised how different the dancing was. I have been to tons of Jamaican parties, Vincentian parties and Trinidadian parties and they were all kind of the same. But the Haitian party to me was more "European" or "American". More people dancing in couples. Waltz type hand-holding. There was some wining and some girls dancing alone off to the side but it was less common.

What I remember most is that they guy used to suggest that we sit so that I can rest after every few songs and I used to sit because I wanted him to think I was "delicate" :tongue:but I can dance for hours to fast soca so there was no reason for me rest after that slow stuff. LOL.

BacchanalDiva

Actually, this is an interesting question.

I used to date a Haitian guy who took me to Haitian parties and I noticed the same thing. I was already familiar (to an extent) with the music but I was surprised how different the dancing was. I have been to tons of Jamaican parties, Vincentian parties and Trinidadian parties and they were all kind of the same. But the Haitian party to me was more "European" or "American". More people dancing in couples. Waltz type hand-holding. There was some wining and some girls dancing alone off to the side but it was less common.

What I remember most is that they guy used to suggest that we sit so that I can rest after every few songs and I used to sit because I wanted him to think I was "delicate" :tongue:but I can dance for hours to fast soca so there was no reason for me rest after that slow stuff. LOL.
That sounds like a GT party as well.

A.K.K.S.

It's because the English weren't romancers either...

Traditional Garifuna music is romantic and/or passionate, but it's likely due to African and Amerindian influences...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/entsZHnG5bY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_Ce8-jrmxoA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oneshot

where de crix
There are Anglo Caribbean musics that sounds a lot like zouk, maybe not from TNT. What I noticed is that Anglo Caribbean folks do not often dance those musics face to face.
that is very intimate, crouch grinding, nipple rubbing, eyes facing, if i can feel your heart beat.. is problems

Poca

Lol, but Just like wining, you don't have to dance as if you are catching some sexy feeling with your GF. There are ways to dance without going all the way and grinding on each other.

that is very intimate, crouch grinding, nipple rubbing, eyes facing, if i can feel your heart beat.. is problems