Why no Affluent Black Communities in NYC?

MÉCHANT LOUP

Cervical Cancer
They do that for marketing purposes to ensure revenue, but I assure you that 97% of the attendees at MSG, Citi Bank, and Yankees Stadium are residents of NYC.

Anyways, how does that argument take away the fact that NYC is a metro?

marketing?

or do u mean revenue...

97%?

The average NYC person never been to the Empire State building or Statue of Liberty. In another city sporting events like those would be a big form of family entertainment. In NYC it's luxury...I have many discussion with Whites, who complained about how it's expensive to go to game with the family. Even when they got free tickets, the concession/parking/souvenir still run them a few hundred bucks.

SKBai1991

They do that for marketing purposes to ensure revenue, but I assure you that 97% of the attendees at MSG, Citi Bank, and Yankees Stadium are residents of NYC.

Anyways, how does that argument take away the fact that NYC is a metro?
LOL you'd be dead wrong.

CoilyKinks

some of these people pissing me off...they have not a clue what affluence even is...but yet they fighting tooth and nail about it
And you do? LOL.

I always love seeing these type of discussions: the have nots speaking about the haves and how we live our lives.

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
And you do? LOL.

I always love seeing these type of discussions: the have nots speaking about the haves and how we live our lives.

lmao...like i said before, it you want to smell your own crotch start your own thread...

i can very well tell that you are not from affluence, you just pose for people you think don't know any better...IF anything you are only one or two generations removed from poverty.....i could care less about your trinidadian affluence because it translates to nothing here in america....you are a mere poser and peon amongst the black elite

one doesn't have to be affluent to know what affluence is...and trust me, you have no idea, who i know and whom i associate with

BacchanalDiva

People like you kill me,its like you guys argue because you think you are going to win a crown.

You do know that their have been a mass migration of blacks from the South Side of Chicago from the south way before mass migration of southern blacks to Harlem right, this goes back to the early 1890s or 1900s,the called it the ''Black Belt''.

Now do understand that there were many blacks who moved to certain areas in NYC which became affluent but it is not like it remained like that all through the decades .

I would like to know hear your explanation of how blacks in NYC broke the barriers,there was no Jim Crow law in NYC in the first place.
First of all, I'm not arguing; rather stating my opinion. I'm not one to come online and argue down a point that I don't know for a fact is correct so if you have actual stats/historical fact then I have no problem saying you're right...if not I have my opinion and you have yours. Second, I am of aware Chicago's history and the fact that it was one of the first large destinations in the southern black exodus. Despite that, I am of the opinion that the social climate of NY/NJ/CT created an easier experience for african americans. I know there was no Jim Crow in the north, I referenced the Jim Crow era..you do understand that even states that had no Jim Crow still has similar social climates to the south during that time?

If you're simply trying to have a NY vs southern state war then you're barking up the wrong tree since i don't care enough. I only engage in island vs island wars.

BacchanalDiva

lmao...like i said before, it you want to smell your own crotch start your own thread...

i can very well tell that you are not from affluence, you just pose for people you think don't know any better...IF anything you are only one or two generations removed from poverty.....i could care less about your trinidadian affluence because it translates to nothing here in america....you are a mere poser and peon amongst the black elite

one doesn't have to be affluent to know what affluence is...and trust me, you have no idea, who i know and whom i associate with
I can't believe you arguing with Hillary :kicks

N

NaturalBornRidah

First of all, I'm not arguing; rather stating my opinion. I'm not one to come online and argue down a point that I don't know for a fact is correct so if you have actual stats/historical fact then I have no problem saying you're right...if not I have my opinion and you have yours. Second, I am of aware Chicago's history and the fact that it was one of the first large destinations in the southern black exodus. Despite that, I am of the opinion that the social climate of NY/NJ/CT created an easier experience for african americans. I know there was no Jim Crow in the north, I referenced the Jim Crow era..you do understand that even states that had no Jim Crow still has similar social climates to the south during that time?

If you're simply trying to have a NY vs southern state war then you're barking up the wrong tree since i don't care enough. I only engage in island vs island wars.
Your dead wrong for me to start an NY vs Southern State war because I am not exactly from the South.

And I was speaking on the urban mecca, which you are portraying and claiming to exist like if NYC is the shining example.Chicago had many blacks migrate there during the turn of the 20th century, the links between southern blacks and chicago still remain till this day.

It has long been an urban hub for blacks ,my qualms with people on here is why one particular city the hub for rich prosperous urban dwelling AAs or blacks.

Johnson, John V.(??1907) - Gambling house owner, Gains Political Power, Chronology, Survives Anti-Policy Legislation - Johnson?s, According, Chicago?s, Chicago, Black, and Church
Chicago African American History

Before World War I, blacks in Chicago lived in several neighborhoods and made up a small proportion of the city's residents. The Great Migration of the late 1910s and 1920s changed their inconspicuous presence

Secondly why would you engage in Island vs Island wars sounds like you are a tribalist.

CoilyKinks

LOL @ the bolded. I guess you've never heard of the Hadeeds or Sabga family from Trinidad. I refuse to argue with someone who hasn't done her research.

I don't care to know who you know and whom you associate with. At the end of the day you're still a customer service rep living paycheck to paycheck who sits behind a PC all day, everyday. How grandiose a life, if you can even call it such.

NikkiGiovanni

Warrior Queen
LOL @ the bolded. I guess you've never heard of the Hadeeds or Sabga family from Trinidad. I refuse to argue with someone who hasn't done her research.

I don't care to know who you know and whom you associate with. At the end of the day you're still a customer service rep living paycheck to paycheck who sits behind a PC all day, everyday. How grandiose a life, if you can even call it such.
research what?

*guffaw*

even in your grandiose life....it's still empty and hollow as you search for the validation and approval of those on the internet....trolling around hoping someone is impressed by you....lol

i am quite sure, one of these dudes that you think is so beneath you, will get caught in your web and they give you the approval that you so deperately seek and your self esteem will shoot up two notches

BacchanalDiva

Your dead wrong for me to start an NY vs Southern State war because I am not exactly from the South.

And I was speaking on the urban mecca, which you are portraying and claiming to exist like if NYC is the shining example.Chicago had many blacks migrate there during the turn of the 20th century, the links between southern blacks and chicago still remain till this day.

It has long been an urban hub for blacks ,my qualms with people on here is why one particular city the hub for rich prosperous urban dwelling AAs or blacks.

Johnson, John V.(??1907) - Gambling house owner, Gains Political Power, Chronology, Survives Anti-Policy Legislation - Johnson?s, According, Chicago?s, Chicago, Black, and Church

Secondly why would you engage in Island vs Island wars sounds like you are a tribalist.
that part was jokes forgot the smiley.

I'll read your link and come back but i don't think anyone was saying NYC is the shining hub. Thing is that you can't deny that NY is the place that blacks have come to make it big. The Harlem Renaissance...the arts, philosophy, business..the first black traders making it big did that on Wall Street..Madame CJ Walker, Web Dubois, Kwame Nkrumah, John Henrik Clarke..hell Frederick Douglas...they all came to NY. Its actually very hard to thing of any big name blacks that were not either from or spent significant time/migrated to NY outside of music (Chicago is big there) and the big civil rights ppl like Dr King..but they weren't rich. Harlem was the place for rich blacks, well educated blacks, the movers and shakers of African America. So in NY that ppl have said, its kinda been there done that and green matters much more than color. Despite that there are still lil pockets of affluent blacks.

Dr Insane

Is that your best?How about you come in here and state facts, instead of rambling off about nothing.
Jackass I ask u one question. Colo and bd been saying facts but u talking from ur Ass so why waste my time on a fool dat doh wanna learn. Saying shit like white plains border Bronx? Lmaooo

N

NaturalBornRidah

that part was jokes forgot the smiley.

I'll read your link and come back but i don't think anyone was saying NYC is the shining hub. Thing is that you can't deny that NY is the place that blacks have come to make it big. The Harlem Renaissance...the arts, philosophy, business..the first black traders making it big did that on Wall Street..Madame CJ Walker, Web Dubois, Kwame Nkrumah, John Henrik Clarke..hell Frederick Douglas...they all came to NY. Its actually very hard to thing of any big name blacks that were not either from or spent significant time/migrated to NY outside of music (Chicago is big there) and the big civil rights ppl like Dr King..but they weren't rich. Harlem was the place for rich blacks, well educated blacks, the movers and shakers of African America. So in NY that ppl have said, its kinda been there done that and green matters much more than color. Despite that there are still lil pockets of affluent blacks.
Most of these people mentioned like W.E.B DuBois ,Kwame Nkrumah,Madame CJ Walker, and Fredrick Douglas did not make NYC their place of residence, some of them just did there work in NYC,people make business trips and of course you would make a business trip to NYC , I bet they did to other urban hubs as well at the time like ,Boston,Chicago,Detroit etc.

A lot of these people you mentioned did not earn their degree in NYC either.

Yes Harlem was the place for rich blacks to migrate to but so was the South Side of Chicago and Detroit.

But Harlem has lost that prestige during the 1960s and 1970s.

New Age black upper class neighborhoods and areas arose in places like ATL and DC during the 1990s and 2000.

Most professional get out there to move and groove thats what business people do ,go places to network, those patriarchs or black icons that you mention where not constricted to one particular city let alone NYC.

Jackass I ask u one question. Colo and bd been saying facts but u talking from ur Ass so why waste my time on a fool dat doh wanna learn. Saying shit like white plains border Bronx? Lmaooo
You ask me a question, and tell me I'm supposed to learn.

You interjected in this thread all butt hurt.

If you paid attention to what was being said in this thread you would of saw, that Colo or Insidious (btw how I'm I to know his ################ing name,see how you ramble off ),I was attempting to convey that the NYC metro area doesn't exist like other metro areas across the country. Your homeboy mentioned Greenwich CT and Seacaucus NJ as being A short distance to commute to from NYC and was part of the NYC metro area,hah, that is not viable, NYC metro area is just hersay,and doesn't exist.I could give 2 shits about where White Plains is located , the point is it could be New Rochelle, Mount Vernon, Elmont LI or Valley Stream, any town outside the 5 boros,whether bordering it or not, is not part of NYC .Or better yet even the NYC metro area because it doesn't exist.

Now learn to take notes fool,clown.The ################ are you talkimabout if I don't learn, boi ya head na good.

Last edited:

BacchanalDiva

Most of these people mentioned like W.E.B DuBois ,Kwame Nkrumah,Madame CJ Walker, and Fredrick Douglas did not make NYC their place of residence, some of them just did there work in NYC,people make business trips and of course you would make a business trip to NYC , I bet they did to other urban hubs as well at the time like ,Boston,Chicago,Detroit etc.

A lot of these people you mentioned did not earn their degree in NYC either.

Yes Harlem was the place for rich blacks to migrate to but so was the South Side of Chicago and Detroit.

But Harlem has lost that prestige during the 1960s and 1970s.

New Age black upper class neighborhoods and areas arose in places like ATL and DC during the 1990s and 2000.

Most professional get out there to move and groove thats what business people do ,go places to network, those patriarchs or black icons that you mention where not constricted to one particular city let alone NYC.

Sorry, that's incorrect. The ppl I mentioned did make NYC their home either permanently or during the height of their work. Madame CJ Walker I know for a fact died in her home in Irvington which passed onto her daughter who kept it until she died. Its now a nursing home. Kwame Nkrumah lived in Philly spending much time in NYC meeting with other like minds and preaching at a church in NYC until he left for UK then back to Ghana. I'm pretty positive about the others too but too lazy to go research so we'll leave it at that. Point is that yes, Harlem had its period of glory and its over (tho that period gives it a rich, well known glory that surpasses anything in the south or midwest)...but the point in bringing up that period is that Black New Yorks have been doing big things and making big money in large numbers for a long time. So the idea of huddling in big well to do black neighborhood is pretty yesterday. Think of it like this...is a family made it big in the 50's or 60's, lived in a wealthy black area, sent kids off to get great educations and do even bigger things..what is the likelihood that 2, 3 generations later, their descendents still live in that area? Their legacy is now in Jersey, Greenwich and White Plains :kicks

N

NaturalBornRidah

Sorry, that's incorrect. The ppl I mentioned did make NYC their home either permanently or during the height of their work. Madame CJ Walker I know for a fact died in her home in Irvington which passed onto her daughter who kept it until she died. Its now a nursing home. Kwame Nkrumah lived in Philly spending much time in NYC meeting with other like minds and preaching at a church in NYC until he left for UK then back to Ghana. I'm pretty positive about the others too but too lazy to go research so we'll leave it at that. Point is that yes, Harlem had its period of glory and its over (tho that period gives it a rich, well known glory that surpasses anything in the south or midwest)...but the point in bringing up that period is that Black New Yorks have been doing big things and making big money in large numbers for a long time. So the idea of huddling in big well to do black neighborhood is pretty yesterday. Think of it like this...is a family made it big in the 50's or 60's, lived in a wealthy black area, sent kids off to get great educations and do even bigger things..what is the likelihood that 2, 3 generations later, their descendents still live in that area? Their legacy is now in Jersey, Greenwich and White Plains :kicks
Madame CJ Walker did not die in NYC.Is Irvington NYC?

The Key word for Kwame Nkrumah is spent time not making it his permanent place of residence.

As for your point saying that families move to another place to do good, that is my point, success of black people is not confined to NYC.

Also I know your saying their legacy is in White Plains,Irvington,and Greenwich is a joke right.

Also Atlanta's being known for having affluent blacks from all over does not seem to be fading anytime soon, how long would you say Harlem's period for black prosperity lasted?

Last edited: