Wise Decision or Misguided Mother? Why I Am Not Sending My Son to College...

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
Ensure. Not insure.

I get that the mother wants her son to learn a skill but not sending him to college? I can't rate that. Like HB said, why can't he do both?

If the mother can't afford it, there are school loans out there and better yet, drive home and enforce the idea that school is a child's full-time job. No options to fail and they must earn nothing short of A's. There are scholarships out there people. Thing is, I feel that a lot of us would rather limit ourselves instead of putting forth the energy to gain access to the tons of resources that are out there.

Mrs. Yankee Doodle

Sweetness4life
Ensure. Not insure.

I get that the mother wants her son to learn a skill but not sending him to college? I can't rate that. Like HB said, why can't he do both?

If the mother can't afford it, there are school loans out there and better yet, drive home and enforce the idea that school is a child's full-time job. No options to fail and they must earn nothing short of A's. There are scholarships out there people. Thing is, I feel that a lot of us would rather limit ourselves instead of putting forth the energy to gain access to the tons of resources that are out there.
I like what you saying, but the loans part is where I hold my brakes....If the child is really skilled, they should put pen to paper and make a scholarship work for him...Personally I think student loans is de devil and I tell many parents that if they can avoid student loans for their kids, avoid it all cost...

As to the OP question, the mom is misguided. Nobody is saying get a master's or PHD but at least a 2 year degree can open doors for that child.

agroDOLCE

SweetfuhDayz
I like what you saying, but the loans part is where I hold my brakes....If the child is really skilled, they should put pen to paper and make a scholarship work for him...Personally I think student loans is de devil and I tell many parents that if they can avoid student loans for their kids, avoid it all cost...

As to the OP question, the mom is misguided. Nobody is saying get a master's or PHD but at least a 2 year degree can open doors for that child.
I hear you. I'd def push for scholarship first and foremost but if worse comes to worse, there are student loans. Those post grad degree loans are especially el diablo.

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers
my thing is.. the mother should not close the door to vast amount of possibilities out there... and with the mindset the mother has of closing out the option of college all together, the child will probably pick up on this mindset and not look to college at all...

I am all for kids learning a trade and i think its a waste of money to force college on a child who doesnt want to go or shows no interest in what college has to offer... but dont limit your kid