Would you take a job where you would have to wake at 4:00am to reach for 8:00am

that's what he needs to come an answer.

what are the benefits he will be getting out of this summer job?
is the pay overall really good? Is it good work experience that will help him land a great position either in the future with this company or another in his field? Will he be receiving mentorship that will make the commute worth the efforty? etc etc.

if I couldnt get a travel allowance for hte time spent, then the answers to the above questions would be the deciding factor.

I am not a morning person in the least, so what I am getting out of waking up so early would have to be very worthwhile.
Opportunity to stay on with the company in the future after graduation
This is a good company and having this on my resume would get me in the door, I think. They offering Mentorship
Travel to another state for a conference
I will have to wake at 4:00am.
The commute would be about 2hrs one way but because of how the LIRR runs I must be in the train station by 5:17am
Its just for 3months
They have not decided the pay yet but it would definitely cover my travel expenses, I will make some money but I am more happy for the opportunity
Its just I don't like waking early in the morning. If I slack and miss that 5:17 am train, my ass is sure to be screwed because I would have to wait for 1 hour and half until the next one.

Stagga_Dagga

Habitual Enabler
I would, ONLY if the pay was ridiculously good. Thats the only incentive to working a crappy job. I use to get up at 4:30 to get to work at 6. The pay was aight but I'm not a morning person. I hated my boss and I hated working 10hrs day. Needless to say I didn't stay long.

LB

Peace Love n Pretty Tings
gotcha. once they come back with the pay question you should have all the info you need then.

so you are like me, the biggest issue is the morning business and the worry of being late! That is tough.
You might have to set out a strict routine for yourself if you want to guarantee getting yourself up in time each morning.

From what it sounds like the opportunity is worth the effort. If this was just any old summer position for money, then I would definitely say no :grin: but it seems like there is a lot for you to get out of this, so making the extra effort and commitment is worth it. But you have to be sure you can manage it. So going to bed early and all of that is gonna be some work......

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers
However, its a good job for the summer but its costly to get there but its would pay good enough to cover travel costs and its a great reputable company. It is in Suffolk County and I will be travelling there from Jamaica, Queens. What would you do? Take it or dont take it...
sleep on the train...
i used to do it.. from brooklyn to rockland county everyday, car got totalled at the time, had to rely on public transporation... that lil bit of relaxation on the bus right before work made me feel good before goin in

benjie

Debble
Opportunity to stay on with the company in the future after graduation
This is a good company and having this on my resume would get me in the door, I think. They offering Mentorship
Travel to another state for a conference
I will have to wake at 4:00am.
The commute would be about 2hrs one way but because of how the LIRR runs I must be in the train station by 5:17am
Its just for 3months
They have not decided the pay yet but it would definitely cover my travel expenses, I will make some money but I am more happy for the opportunity
Its just I don't like waking early in the morning. If I slack and miss that 5:17 am train, my ass is sure to be screwed because I would have to wait for 1 hour and half until the next one.
Speak to your potential supervisor and explain to them your circumstances. See if they are flexible if you miss the early train if you can work it out. Nothing beats work experience coming fresh out of college. It gives you the edge over the kids that have no work experience. if you feel that you can manage the three months, take it. But make sure you take that job and kick ass. Once you get there you might also want to see if you can find someone or two that works there that you could carpool with. Throw in a couple of bucks and meet them at a spot convenient for them. It will give you a little more sleep time. You never know.

However, its a good job for the summer but its costly to get there but its would pay good enough to cover travel costs and its a great reputable company. It is in Suffolk County and I will be travelling there from Jamaica, Queens. What would you do? Take it or dont take it...
DEPENDS. Is this a summer internship that could help you network in the industry you want to get into? Or are you are you spending all that "getting ready" and "travel" time to empty the filed documents into the shredder or flip burgers?

It's about the value of what you are doing because yes some things are actually worth taking the financial loss on for the experience among other things. Depends the situation and how intelligent the individual is to know their direction and the point of what they are doing.

Speak to your potential supervisor and explain to them your circumstances. See if they are flexible if you miss the early train if you can work it out. Nothing beats work experience coming fresh out of college. It gives you the edge over the kids that have no work experience. if you feel that you can manage the three months, take it. But make sure you take that job and kick ass. Once you get there you might also want to see if you can find someone or two that works there that you could carpool with. Throw in a couple of bucks and meet them at a spot convenient for them. It will give you a little more sleep time. You never know.
I would really have to talk to them about the flexible time, I also taught about that carpool idea. Thanks for the advice.

DEPENDS. Is this a summer internship that could help you network in the industry you want to get into? Or are you are you spending all that "getting ready" and "travel" time to empty the filed documents into the shredder or flip burgers?

It's about the value of what you are doing because yes some things are actually worth taking the financial loss on for the experience among other things. Depends the situation and how intelligent the individual is to know their direction and the point of what they are doing.
NO its an insurance company and they claim that its not goin to be filing and boring stuff. We (interns) are going to be mentored and engaged in the company.

nah no inroads my friend...
Truthfully speaking, no one needs to do internship to get into insurance. Most insurance companies that like you will pay for you to get your licensing. You need to look at your goals, what you want to do, your direction, and see if there is any real value in this position. Some positions are worth it. Is this one? Depends where you want to go in life and what this place has to offer you

N

nikkigiovanni

sleep on the train...
i used to do it.. from brooklyn to rockland county everyday, car got totalled at the time, had to rely on public transporation... that lil bit of relaxation on the bus right before work made me feel good before goin in

me too...where in rockland did you work????

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers
if you taking public transportation...you can always catch some sleep on it...cause you not driving

when i was working upstate ny...i had to take the A train from Euclid ave...in brooklyn...(right before you go into queens) all the way to washington heights...the george washington bridge station...that was like and hour and half...then i had to catch a bus that went up the palisades parkway through jersey, then back to upstate new york...and that took a half an hour...although i worked the 3-11pm shift...if i went partying, i still was able to catch some zzzz's on the commute...sometimes i did have to work the 7am shift...did that for about a year...it was worth it...met a lot of great people...i met my best friend on that job

if you not spending the majority of your paycheck on the commute...(that damn bus was like $3.50 a ride) and the money balances out...go for it
Thats almost exactly to what i used to do... I worked in Rockland County...
But i caught the bus at Port Authority times square

N

nikkigiovanni

I worked in Orangeburg... But the messed up thing about my bus was it didnt go right into rockland.... it made several stops in all them little towns in Bergen County... Nutly, Lehigh, Englwood, Tenafly

oh ok...i worked in Palisades NY...i loved it out there...deep in the woods..but yea the bus stopped in englewood, tenafly and Alpine etc etc in Jersey before it came back to new york

that bus ride was always so peaceful and comfortable...i was on the red and tan lines coach...i wrote a lot of poetry on that bus...lol

Hello BKLYN

Searching For Answers
oh ok...i worked in Palisades NY...i loved it out there...deep in the woods..but yea the bus stopped in englewood, tenafly and Alpine etc etc in Jersey before it came back to new york

that bus ride was always so peaceful and comfortable...i was on the red and tan lines coach...i wrote a lot of poetry on that bus...lol
yup, the red and tan, i used to take the 20