Your Health and you???

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
Well i just found out that someone i know died from complications from diabetes today.. and dude was maybe 36 years old.. he had one foot already amputated and the other was about to be cut and he died just after lunch today.. and it made me think about how some people really have a sense of invincibility where their health is concerned... Diabetes is something that runs in families and poses serious risks but there are other diseases/disorders/illnesses that can threaten us just the same way and I started to wonder if people really are making the effort to live healthy and change their habits if there's an issue..

like for me.. I've already done most of my annual check ups already cept maybe my eye one because i havent had the time to go yet.. everything else is up to par and oddly enough i found out that sometimes your body knows best.. for example like when i eat eggs i usually eat like 4 at a time.. now my grandmother upon hearing this always hits me the spiel about cholesterol blah blah.. so i cut back on the eggs to the point where i ate no eggs at all or maybe like 1 every two weeks and imagine my suprise when i went to the doctor and got my test results back and discovered i have very LOW cholesterol. both good cholesterol and bad cholesterol.. why is that not such a good thing.. well apparently if your good cholesterol is low that coudl put you at risk for a heart attack.. but thankfully in combinatin with everything else i'm good.. but you kno what happened when iah reach home. i eat meh 4 eggs yes smh..

so what health changes in diet or exercise have you made for the year? I have decided to switch from cows milk as much as possible to almond milk and eat less cheese.. the latter being very hard but i've stuck to buying only TWO blocks of Cracker barrel and no more.. i've also started watching the acidity of things i eat /drink.. like if i drink lime juice now then the next drink may be something more alkaline.. balance is key.. i eat more vegetables and more ugh.. fruit.. i've also cut back on beef..as the length of time that take to digest.. i aint able.. i exercise pretty much every day.. and will go back to riding this summer every afternoon...

neways enough bout me.. what about you.. what are you doing to preserve your health??

Vincent Vega

i cut back on my fav quick pick lunch...deep fried chicken gizzards and okra...man dem arabs at the gas station had da best back in Fayetteville...I had some today tho

Poca

One easy thing that most people should do before even looking to diet or exercising is to reduce the portions when they eat. Unfortunately, in this society everything has to be in ridiculous amount.

Personally, I don't do diets. I think the concept is quite silly since one day you will have to start eating normally. I must say that I am not really a big fan of junk food and the salt and fat intake is a turn off for me. So I eat what I want but only in small quantity and I banned sugar. In my opinion sugar is much more destructive than fat. However, only weakness is Hershey's kisses with almonds. When I buy a bag, I simply can't stop eating it until it's done. So now I only buy it during that time of the month. Also, I do pilates twice a week and I run (not jog). I have some home exercises to do but I have yet to start. In July I will get into stretching because I think it is very helpful and being flexible can prevent a lot of injuries.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
yea poca i agree.. i dont diet.. i eat a lot but i eat many small meals all throughout the day.. ask dem fb people :rofl: lol... but yea that sugar talk is good talk.. i dont like things that are too sweet.. naturally.. i will eat a slice of cake but drink copious amounts of water to balance that sugar rush.. i dont really drink sodas.. i limit juices and fruits with too much sugar.. i have a bag full of chocolate in my fridge but i rarely ever touch it..

Poca

Most don't realize it but sugar and salt are just addictive poisons. I rather eat fat everyday than eat sugar. But honestly if people started only with portion control, they would already be in a much better shape.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
i dont eat fat at ALLLLL.. i dont think bacon will ever see the inside of my freezer unless i buying it to make breakfast for soembody else.. hell no.. any meat i cooking must have the fat cleaned off of it.. i only eat boneless skinless chicken breast and meats like ground beef/turkey/chicken that are over 95% lean meat.. just the thought of ingesting fat is enough to gross me out..

i dont cook rice with salt.. i just use a little butter with flavor.. my seasonings have enough flavor to not need salt.. i drink tea with honey and sometimes sugar but everythign in moderation.. and people seem to forget that alcohol is sugar too! lol

my issue is not enough iron absoprtion so i have to up that

Poca

oh, when I said fat I did not mean to actually eat meat with tones of fat. But If I have to choose between butter and Margarine I will go with the butter and stuff like that.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
oh yea. i eat butter.. love how it tastes.. i remember the days that people use to really put the butter out in a butter dish on the table. and not have these tubs of butter etc..

dedetriniking

Important thread LR. Read your labels people. Its amazing how many people are ignorant of how much sugar we eat on a daily basis.

A lot of obese people would lose a good chuck of their weight if they only watch their sugar intake. Some people think that drinking bottled juices in healthy but when you read the labels you'll see that the sugar in those juices is usually at the same level per 8 oz as soda.

also many of us go to jobs where we sit all day....then we go home and watch tv. Not good. Ensure that your body gets exercise one way or another regularly.

Poca

also, sugar is not only listed as sugar. I personally watch out for any words that end with "ose".

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
thats why i have zero problem with bloomie wanting to cut down the size of these sodas.. i cant see why people want to drink all that soda then line up in the diabetes clinic.. i personally think a lot of people make bad choices in choosing groceries.. lookin at their carts in the supermarket is jus meat meat meat and junkfood and juice.. is like damn.. let a vegetable find ah home dey nah smh lol

*Sugarr*

With my family im tryin to start small....i cut out all beef n porks. Changed all vegetable oils to olive oil and i never fry anything. honestly we arent big fruit eaters so i buy nakeds n bolthouse smoothies....i force veggies at dinner. with those veggies stopped adding butter n salt. i changed our juices to 100% percent juice only. i started workin out n tryna run outside....the kids r all athletes.

*Sugarr*

there was a time when i thought just eatin corn as a veggie was ok...now i buy spinach and steam done mixed veggies.

Poca

But you don't need to cut everything at once because it will look as a punishment. I think that it's more effective to go at it gradually while also working on the mindset. Just like exercises, it's good to be eager and go at it with full force. However, people who do that tend to get bored with the whole thing quick and revert back to their old habits. So i really think it's best to start with one or two simple changes at first and wait until it becomes a part of life before changing anything else. Overall I think consistency is key!

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
yea.. but some of those things she mentioned there, the rest of the family wouldnt even notice anyway.. like the oil etc.. i cant do the drizzled iwth olive oil ting yet.. but maybe some day..

i dont fry anything anyway... i also try to eat more whole wheat breads etc...

dedetriniking

But you don't need to cut everything at once because it will look as a punishment. I think that it's more effective to go at it gradually while also working on the mindset. Just like exercises, it's good to be eager and go at it with full force. However, people who do that tend to get bored with the whole thing quick and revert back to their old habits. So i really think it's best to start with one or two simple changes at first and wait until it becomes a part of life before changing anything else. Overall I think consistency is key!
You made an excellent point about portions earlier. Very important. If you're not going to run a marathon later you can easily cut that roti in half and load up half of your solo soda with ice. You don't need to deprive yourself of the things you should try to eat less....as little as possible of the less healthy stuff.

ladyrastafari

Notchilous
you know i really do think that people eat bigger portions cos they lack the ability to determine when they are hungry.. a result of the "siddung by the table till you eat all da food" school of thought from when you were young.. so people cant tell if they hungry or thirsty or when they really full..

I never went through that.. i never was forced to eat anything at the table. when i decide i done eat, that was that.. i would come back to it if i was hungry later but no force ting and now i know when my hunger is gone automatically.. i do not like how it feels when your stomach is overly full... whenever i go out to a restaurant. unless i am STARVED, i automatically eat half and then take the rest to go..... i prefer to eat a small amount of food and go back than try to force myself to eat a mountain of food.. and when i have guests, i serve them a decent portion and then give more if they want rather than dealing out a BIG ass plate like is we last Supper..

Poca

Also, people are conditioned to always eat. Way back in the days when work used to actually mean physical manual labor, our bodies needed a lot of "calorie" intake in order to perform. However, it's no longer the case today. and folks, cut on the processed food. I hate to see people eating fruit bars, why not eat a real fruit?

La reina Baby Phat

Although I grew up in a vegetarian household, I eat fairly balanced. As far as eating goes...

1. It's better to eat at home because you can control what you put in and how much you eat at a time. I prefer my own burgers to fast food ones for instance.

2. It's as much in the preparation as it is in the raw material. Grilled beef sirloin with veggies is PROBABLY a little better for you than deep fried chicken leg and thigh with rice and peas.

3. Can't ignore beverages. For the most part, I just drink plain water and eat fruit, and try to keep juice at a minimum. I pretty much never drink soda because I'm unaccustomed to it and I feel very uncomfortable inside afterwards.

4. If you cannot pronounce the ingredients on a package,and if there are too many of them, chances are you probably shouldn't be having much of it.